Anybody using NHS hearing aid?

Options

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There's a hugely useful blog entitled More than a bit deaf, which both you and he might find useful to look at. The author has now had a Cochlear Implant fitted, which has made a huge difference, but the last few posts have been about 'things they don't tell you'. However the 'Survival' link looks very useful.

Here's the three 'things they don't tell you' posts - more may follow!
    One - noise
    Two - hearing aids don't give back your hearing
    Three - pain

Other potentially useful blogs are The Limping Chicken and the Cookie Bite Chronicles.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • mark55man
    mark55man Posts: 7,924 Forumite
    Options
    will have a look!! thanks
    I think I saw you in an ice cream parlour
    Drinking milk shakes, cold and long
    Smiling and waving and looking so fine
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sue, where do you have pressure and discomfort? For me it's behind the year. The damn thing is just too big to sit there along with my glasses.

I can stick it for four hours maximum, then I yank it out. The whole cartilage is uncomfortable for a good time afterwards.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Savvy_Sue
    Options
    pollypenny wrote: »
    Sue, where do you have pressure and discomfort? For me it's behind the year. The damn thing is just too big to sit there along with my glasses.

I can stick it for four hours maximum, then I yank it out. The whole cartilage is uncomfortable for a good time afterwards.
    It's a mix of things. It's ALWAYS a feeling of pressure and / or itching within the ear, where the mould makes contact.

But yes, since I started having to wear glasses there is a 'disagreement' between the tube and the ear of my glasses - however I think that might be something the optician could take a look at.

AND I think that was better when I had an 'off the shelf' mould with a thin tube - but I wasn't wearing glasses so much then. However, apparently I was 'between sizes' for the length of those standard tubes. In theory that ought to be better if the tube's the right length.

ATM I can't wear it because my attempt at re-tubing left it at the wrong angle, and it was insecure. Unfortunately I didn't really pay enough attention when the technician re-tubed it, tried it on and thought 'oh yes, that feels more secure'. That was because the short length of tube attached to the aid had been forced to the wrong angle, so it's secure, but uncomfortable within a few minutes.

Back on Wednesday and will show them what angle that short length of tube should be at. I suspect because my mould is unusual, my angle is too ...

It is a drag going back and forth to try and get it sorted, but every now and again I get a spurt of dissatisfaction going and make a real effort!
  • cherry76
    cherry76 Posts: 906 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am at a loss with hubby. I have to put his hearing aid myself but find it very fiddly. He is not very cooperative he has kept it for over 7 hrs but insist it does not make any difference. Personally I think it needs tweaking a bit but he will not go back. Review in 6 weeks. I do not know what to do and need some advice please. Shall I give up or encourage him to give it a try? What can I do if he insists there is nothing wrong with his hearing and he can heard as well without it and he likes to listen to the tv a bit loud. As soon as it is switched on I can hear it whistling, is that the normal? Thanks
  • Savvy_Sue
    Options
    No, once it's inserted correctly you should not be able to hear whistling. It definitely needs tweaking.

Some clinics have 'friends' who will do home visits - more experienced hearing aid users who can help with ideas for getting it to fit snugly etc. Could be worth an ask?

Is it worth mentioning that research has shown a link between untreated hearing loss and dementia? Not causative, but a definite link.
  • sukysue
    sukysue Posts: 1,823 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cherry hope you come back to see this , my Mum has very profound deafness , the TV is really loud even with her hearing aids on , we bought her one of these and she can hear the tv with the sound really low or even turned completely off so it doesn't disturb anyone else .
    https://www.actiononhearingloss.org.uk/shop/listening-devices/l585echo-24g-wireless-tv-listener-with-headset/
    xXx-Sukysue-xXx
  • ScarletRibbons
    Options
    I've had two NHS aids for over 2 years now, and they've been a godsend.

Like others are saying, he may be getting feedback. There may be hearing aid drop in centres he could go to for adjustment, instead of having to wait.

I've got a setting to reduce background noise, which is good in crowded places, and the loop setting is excellent in buildings with the loop system. I'd forgotten I had the loop setting, but remembered when I went to a U3A meeting, and turned to the setting - it was wonderful, I didn't miss a thing!!
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have even been given a smaller NHS hearing aid. Much more comfortable. I've even forgotten I've got it in a few times.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It took two visits to have my aids adjusted correctly (done on the computer). The audiologist also downloaded an app onto my phone which allows me to adjust the treble/bass and volume, although there are buttons on the aids to alter the volume. The audiologist told me that almost everybody needs a couple of follow up visits to get them right, and they like to see people at least every six months to check that the patient is getting the best from the aids.
    Most important is to ensure there is no wax in his ears as this can partially block the tiny little hole in the earpiece and causes feedback.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback