Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • teabag29
    • By teabag29 6th Jan 19, 3:30 PM
    • 1,874Posts
    • 2,871Thanks
    Kinship care payments advice needed
    • #1
    • 6th Jan 19, 3:30 PM
    Kinship care payments advice needed 6th Jan 19 at 3:30 PM
    Hi there Iím looking for advice, my situation is as follows;
    I have a partner and 3 children at home. Both my partner and I are on pip, him for learning problems and I have MS. Our son is also on Dla as he has development delay. Both my partner and I have had to give up work over the last few years, he claims carers for me as he helps me with my physical problems and I claim carers for my son (I provide more learning care and calm his meltdowns, my partner does more the physical side). We are also claiming universal credit.

    The dilemma: my eldest daughter has mental health issues and has recently had a child (almost 4 months ago). She is unable to look after him and has placed him voluntarily in local Authority care under a section 20. The social worker has kept him living with us under a section 20 agreement (heís lived here since birth but daughter has now moved out to focus on getting the help she needs) atleast until the final hearing in 6 months but possibly long term under a guardianship depending on our wishes (Iím a little reluctant as I donít know how my ms will progress and scared incase it progresses 5 years down the line and then I canít give him the life he deserves).

    I love having my grandson here heís a pleasure to look after but Iím finding Iím spending a small fortune that I donít have especially now Iíve lost around £800 a month being out on universal credit.

    Heís now outgrown his clothes and needs the next size up and his bouncer chair is dangerously too small. He needs a cot and soon a high chair as well as nappies milk etc.

    I asked the social worker if we can get any financial help and she said once assessments are completed and I sign a consent form Iíll be given an allowance.
    The problem is itís been 3 weeks already and sheís only just filled out the first assessment form for the kinship team, she said she now hands that to them to look into and if accepted Iíll need a home assessment too (but sheís confident of him staying here itís just the procedure that they have to do).

    What do I I do financially in the meantime? I feel awkward asking the social worker again but little man is going to need things very shortly and Iím already feeling the pinch, he gets through 2 tubs of milk a week and numerous nappies creams bathing products etc

    Am I able to claim child benefit or add him to our universal credit claim? or do I have to just wait for months until all these assessments are done so I can get the allowance from the social worker?

    Sorry if wrong forum wasnít sure where to put it (Also posted in marriage/family forum)
Page 1
    • msallen
    • By msallen 6th Jan 19, 5:27 PM
    • 1,097 Posts
    • 1,369 Thanks
    • #2
    • 6th Jan 19, 5:27 PM
    • #2
    • 6th Jan 19, 5:27 PM
    You won't get much (if any) help on the banking forum I'm afraid - you'd be better on the benefits one -
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

86Posts Today

2,066Users online

Martin's Twitter