Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Muzikmaster
    Good and bad buys from Aldi and Lidl
    • 19th Jan 12, 8:32 PM
    Good and bad buys from Aldi and Lidl 19th Jan 12 at 8:32 PM
    Ok not been using this forum very much, but I do look most days to see what's going on. Think I need to stop being shy, start a thread and join in the banter on here.

Lately I've revamped my shopping thanks to everybody on this board. I still wanna continue to save and make my shopping go further.

Rather than me experimenting with lots of unknown brands from Aldi and Lidi I thought it would be a good idea if we could list stuff we all have tried, but most importantly 'liked'

So I would recommend you all have a try of:

(Lidl) Freshvale Cooked Ham - @2.59 for 400g
    Great value for money and it's very tasty and has no added water.

Anymore suggestions?
Page 7
    • arunadasi
    • By arunadasi 24th May 12, 6:08 PM
    • 1,201 Posts
    • 1,401 Thanks
    arunadasi
    There's a daily Mail article today that claims that cheap Aldi wine has been judged among the world's best:
    Some dinner party hosts might feel insulted if a guest turned up with a cheap bottle of plonk from Aldi.
    But a panel of experts has named a wine sold by the budget supermarket for just £3.59 as one of the world’s best.
    Its own-brand Spanish Toro Loco Tempranillo from 2011 excelled in blind taste tests alongside reds costing nearly ten times as much.
    Judges at the International Wine and Spirit Competition awarded it a silver medal, describing it as ‘fruity, rounded and appealing’ with hints of ‘nice bright cherry’.
    Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2149036/It-s-corker-Red-wine-costing-3-59-sold-Aldi-scoops-international-award.html#ixzz1vo99k0wU

But it's still too expensive! I live in Germany and always buy their Merlot at EUR 1.99 the bottle.
  • meigancam01
    i think this one is nice food 'All the mayos we tested are made from similar ingredients, egg yolk and oil, and none of them did badly in our tests. But those who have taste this liked the taste of the cheaper mayos from Aldi and Lidl best.
    • bella2121
    • By bella2121 25th May 12, 6:44 AM
    • 1,547 Posts
    • 3,711 Thanks
    bella2121
    Im off to aldi today, so thought i would update the thread with a few of my new favourite items

12 fromage frais for 95p! bargain baby and son love them
    Macaroni cheese packet pasta 49p really lovely cheese flavour much nicer than the branded alternative
    lemonade 39p
    box of perry wine £4.49 really nice to drink with some ice and lemonade
    BBQ sauce 99p it is lovely tastes like the mcdonalds version
    x
    Last edited by bella2121; 25-05-2012 at 6:44 AM. Reason: adding an item
    ***** on the road to debt freedom *****

Baby girl due September 2013

• rachbc
    The summer austins is in and is about £6 a bottle - lovely in a 'Porch Swing' cocktail!
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 25th May 12, 10:21 AM
    • 4,707 Posts
    • 37,851 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    I've been buying cooked meats etc from the Aldi deli selection for a long time and always been pleased with the quality for the price. However, I recently tried their Alpenmark Black Forest Ham, not really expecting much for 99p. What a surprise, it's delicious and a couple of packets go on my shopping list every week since discovering it. A real bargain with 8 slices in each pack.
    • Possession
    • By Possession 25th May 12, 9:11 PM
    • 3,140 Posts
    • 41,491 Thanks
    Possession
    Recommendations for a new Aldi shopper
    I've searched and can't find a thread for this, apologies if there is one.
    We have an Aldi opening soon (very exciting!) and I was wondering which products people thought were good quality and value? I've never been in Aldi as there has never been one anywhere near.
    I'm sure I've read cereals are good there, and deli meats - anything else?

• sheilavw
    • By sheilavw 25th May 12, 9:12 PM
    • 1,136 Posts
    • 1,714 Thanks
    sheilavw
    I dont go in too often but the fresh flowers are cheap and last ages
    • pandora205
    • By pandora205 25th May 12, 9:20 PM
    • 2,868 Posts
    • 2,700 Thanks
    pandora205
    There is a thread somewhere - I'll have a look in a mo.

Things I like at Aldi are:
    super 6 fruit and veg (special offers)
    yoghurts
    mousses and fools
    muesli (there is a premium nut one that is fab)
    olive oil
    nuts
    chocolate
    dried fruit (cranberries, mango)
    tinned tomatoes, passata and puree
    some meats (free range chicken, sirloin, steak mince, bacon)
    frozen turkey breast joint (for Xmas etc.)
    Torchon ham
    frozen raspberries
    Mr Frosty's ice cream
    wraps
    brioche and croissants
    cheese spreads
    dishwasher tabs
    kitchen roll

And I always have a look at their special offers - I got a gel cover for my bike saddle for (I think) £3.99 last time I went.
    somewhere between Heaven and Woolworth's
    • Possession
    • By Possession 25th May 12, 9:27 PM
    • 3,140 Posts
    • 41,491 Thanks
    Possession
    Those sound just the kind of stuff my family like - plus the premium nut muesli for me. I'm looking forward to this! They are going to be opposite T*sco so I'm hoping there will be some healthy competition going on.

• VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 25th May 12, 10:06 PM
    • 5,617 Posts
    • 81,968 Thanks
    VJsmum
    For me it's

Chocolate - we like Moser ROth 70 or 85%
    German lager - Steinhauser
    Breakfast cereal - any of it really, at least as good as branded stuff some is better i.e I buy the Aldi version of special K with red berries and it is fruitier than the brand
    Foreign cold meat - parma ham, salami, chorizo
    Juices and squash and energy drinks
    salads
    Olive oil
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • abitofhelp
    The deli section is quite nice, super six is great but the fruit & veg always seems to be good quality anyway. Milk is also cheaper. You can also get great bargains on plants for the garden.
    Grocery Challenge 24th Feb-28 Dec 2012 £2000/£1404
    18th May- 15th June 2012 £100/£75
    Dont Throw Food Away 2012 May £5/0
  • cheekyvimto71
    cheers all
    going aldi very soon.................
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th May 12, 10:19 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Hi Possession,

As this is more of a grocery question I've moved your thread over to the Grocery Shopping board.

Pink
  • Middy
    I've been buying cooked meats etc from the Aldi deli selection for a long time and always been pleased with the quality for the price. However, I recently tried their Alpenmark Black Forest Ham, not really expecting much for 99p. What a surprise, it's delicious and a couple of packets go on my shopping list every week since discovering it. A real bargain with 8 slices in each pack.
    Originally posted by TravellingAbuela
    That ham is beautiful plus as it looks like Parma Ham and tastes very similar to, you can use the BF ham instead.
  • Middy
    I seriously recommend the Cornish pasties from Aldi- 49p each and they are crammed with loads of filling - something I am disappointed with other supermarkets' pasties.
    • recovering spendaholic
    • By recovering spendaholic 26th May 12, 5:12 PM
    • 3,049 Posts
    • 15,426 Thanks
    recovering spendaholic
    I really like Aldi and think that the quality of most of their products is great. In particular I love:

Peanut butter
    nut muesli
    dried pasta (really nice - like the premium brand ones)
    gnocchi
    Almat bio laundry gel (Fantastic and better than any brand IMO, but that is the gel - the liquid and powder are not as good)
    bin bags
    £2.59 British chicken (not full of fat like some supermarket ones)
    super six veg - particularly the baking pots for 39p
    Love spread - like Clover but nicer!
    antibac cleaner - like Dettol but less than half the price and just as good
    jaffa cakes
    their version of special K
    bratwurst
    bockwurst (big fat hotdogs which taste lovely)
    corned beef (only £1.55 a tin and it's nice)
    their version of pasta and sauce
    their version of J2O
    del rio orange juice
    caster sugar (£1.09 as opposed to £1.97 in other supermarkets)
    flour (52p for 1.5kg)
    their version of Splenda (only 99p for a big tub and no different to Splenda)
    Face cleansing wipes (the anti-ageing ones)
    Sanitary towels - nearly (but not quite) as good as Always but only 69p for 12!!
    Specially selected frozen chips
    pork chops
    potatoes au gratin (great and only 89p)

There is lots more but it is really a try it and see - I have had stuff I don't like, but then I've had stuff from the mainstream supermarkets that I don't like either!

Remember to take your own bags as they charge for carrier bags.
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 26th May 12, 8:07 PM
    • 35,247 Posts
    • 22,247 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Theres at least 2 threads, 1 is here, maybe this 1 as well
    Last edited by DCFC79; 26-05-2012 at 8:13 PM.
    • CAT££
    • By CAT££ 31st May 12, 10:29 AM
    • 207 Posts
    • 3,522 Thanks
    CAT££
    I've searched and can't find a thread for this, apologies if there is one.
    We have an Aldi opening soon (very exciting!) and I was wondering which products people thought were good quality and value? I've never been in Aldi as there has never been one anywhere near.
    I'm sure I've read cereals are good there, and deli meats - anything else?
    Originally posted by Possession
    Love ALDI. I would recommend;

Free Range Chicken Breasts
    Free Range Whole Chicken
    Edwards of Conwy Sausages (may only be available in Wales)
    Pack of 2 Gammon Steaks (lovely)
    Specially Selected Treacle Cured Bacon (Mmm)
    Rio Dorio Pure Orange Juice
    Premium Lemonade Diet
    Ginger Bath Foam (Bliss)
    Grapefruit Marmalade
    Garlic Baguette (Best on the market)
    Tomato Puree
    Tinned Tomatoes
    Tea Bags (red box £1.99 for 160 - makes a beautiful cup of tea)
    Cheese topped baps
    Large pot of mango & passion fruit yoghurt
    Cereal with red berries (copy of Special K)
    Frozen Pizza
    Premium apple or pear cider (like Bulmers/Magners)
    Wine
    Gin (got an award)
    Fresh Flowers - Lily's

There's loads more. Fruit & veg are good and so much cheaper than leading supermarkets. It's trial and error. I used to be embarrased to be seen in Kwik Save when I was a teenager shopping with Mum, and despite having a well paid job, times are hard. I as well as my friends love going to the likes of Home Bargains, Lidl, Aldi and Pound Stretcher and sharing our bargain finds.
    Cat
  • craig_e
    We have a Lidl and an Aldi in our town, both new and on the same road. I like them both but I think Aldi has the better selection and easier to do a full shop.

I think the quality is about the same but I still go to Lidl. They seem to be a little more contental whereas Aldi are more like a UK brand. Maybe it's just the packaging that's different.
  • Spottedleopard
    The only things I don't like from ALDI is there diet coke (it tastes like those panda pops if people remember them?) and there washing up liquid, its too thin. Everything else I love- YEY for ALDI

Can't comment on LIDL as I don't have one nearby.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

408Posts Today

4,668Users online

Martin's Twitter