Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Savvy sewing
    • By Savvy sewing 1st Jan 19, 3:36 PM
    • 10,864Posts
    • 57,164Thanks
    Savvy sewing
    I will cut my coat according to my cloth. {Edited by Forum team} 2019
    • 1st Jan 19, 3:36 PM
    I will cut my coat according to my cloth. {Edited by Forum team} 2019 1st Jan 19 at 3:36 PM
    As I am a Seamstress, and this year is about my sorting out my life and changing my direction, finally loosing the family debts etc perhaps the title is the most apt I can come up with this year.
    Here is to 2019 and a frugal year to change my direction so that I can rebuild my dreams in the next year.
    Last edited by Savvy sewing; 28-08-2019 at 2:38 PM.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
Page 90
    • hb2
    • By hb2 17th Oct 19, 9:06 AM
    • 522 Posts
    • 1,934 Thanks
    hb2
    Ss, I'm sorry that you are in so much pain I know how much energy that takes, leaving little for everything else. Please look after yourself as much as you can. As Polly says, you cannot give to other people if you are empty yourself.

Polly, the faff with the prescriptions sounds very aggravating. Yes, some people find electronic prescriptions work well for them, but the 'hard sell' sounds very inappropriate. Your poor daughter is clearly going through a very bad phase too

Lloyds online deal with my prescriptions. I fill in an online form telling them when my meds are due and they arrive in the post. TBH, I was worried about entrusting Royal Mail with my meds but I haven't had any problems at all. When we went away, I was able to order my meds in advance to be waiting for me when we got home. However, I don't think it would work so well if I wasn't at home so much.
    • Savvy sewing
    • By Savvy sewing 17th Oct 19, 9:28 AM
    • 10,864 Posts
    • 57,164 Thanks
    Savvy sewing
    The cough has filtered down to the little people
    So I am back in the queue for the doctor again this morning.
    I will get to sew today
    I will
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
    • Savvy sewing
    • By Savvy sewing 17th Oct 19, 7:18 PM
    • 10,864 Posts
    • 57,164 Thanks
    Savvy sewing
    Poorly people all around.
    I have managed to sort out a dress another Seamstress messed up and get it back to the customer.
    I have only done one replacement zip and one dress alterations today. However I have gone through all the jobs etc that I have and given myself a list to work from.
    I definitely am not going to take on any more work than the jobs where fittings have been booked in advance.
    I am not going to take any new bookings until I am confident that I am able to deliver.

Mum is apparently much better today and we expect she will be home in 3-4 days.
    Dgd has hurt the same foot again tripping on the stairs.
    This evening I have taken a fall and hurt my left foot, my right shoulder and my right cheek bone!
    Fenbid gel rubbed in to everything.
    My throat is sore again, so I am not as well as I thought I was.

I didn't get to go to see Mum today and I feel guilty about that. But I cannot do everything.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 17th Oct 19, 7:29 PM
    • 67,415 Posts
    • 305,662 Thanks
    beanielou
    Blimey, it just keeps coming doesent it
    No, you cannot do everything.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14. MFW. 16 months to mortgage freedom.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~**
    **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • Savvy sewing
    • By Savvy sewing 18th Oct 19, 9:03 AM
    • 10,864 Posts
    • 57,164 Thanks
    Savvy sewing
    I have not managed to get up this morning. DS has had to do everything.
    I have a headache and my throat is back to being razor blades.
    I ache everywhere.
    I think I have been on empty too long.
    • hb2
    • By hb2 18th Oct 19, 9:35 AM
    • 522 Posts
    • 1,934 Thanks
    hb2
    I have not managed to get up this morning. DS has had to do everything.
    I ache everywhere.
    I think I have been on empty too long.
    Originally posted by Savvy sewing
    Indeed you have. Your body is clearly telling you to rest so please don't try to push yourself before you are well.
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 18th Oct 19, 9:59 AM
    • 7,689 Posts
    • 11,309 Thanks
    KxMx
    I hope you feel better soon.

Once your head is clearer maybe you could have a think about whether you are actually, honestly able to cope with all that you have taken on.

I realise it's a terrible set of circumstances happening all at once which may be the exception rather than the rule, but having everything go wrong at once can absolutely happen again.
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 18th Oct 19, 10:01 AM
    • 3,000 Posts
    • 27,467 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    [QUOTE=Savvy sewing;76396939]I have not managed to get up this morning. DS has had to do everything.
    I ache everywhere.
    I think I have been on empty too long.[/QUOTE

You can't drive a car with no fuel so you need to rest and recover SS.some of the viruses doing the rounds have a nasty post viral aftermath.. Hope ds is able to do as much as possible to keep things ticking over at home.

I'm sure your mum will understand why you can't visit her in hospital, in fact it's not a good idea to take viruses into a hospital. Hope she's continuing to improve.

Just on my way out so will catch up later.

pollyx
    No need to hurry.No need to sparkle.No need to be anybody but oneself.

Virginia Woolf.
    • Savvy sewing
    • By Savvy sewing 18th Oct 19, 4:54 PM
    • 10,864 Posts
    • 57,164 Thanks
    Savvy sewing
    I have spent the day sleeping.
    Biggest went to do the hospital visit.
    DS has done the school runs etc.

I am going to do absolutely nothing today. For the rest of the day anyway.
    • Savvy sewing
    • By Savvy sewing 19th Oct 19, 9:16 AM
    • 10,864 Posts
    • 57,164 Thanks
    Savvy sewing
    I hope you feel better soon.

Once your head is clearer maybe you could have a think about whether you are actually, honestly able to cope with all that you have taken on.

I realise it's a terrible set of circumstances happening all at once which may be the exception rather than the rule, but having everything go wrong at once can absolutely happen again.
    Originally posted by KxMx
    I understand that what I am taking on is monumental. But to be honest it is the juggling all balls while I'll that has floored me.

The stress of life has allowed my immune system to be attacked.
    So I have listed out what I felt was stressing me, in my diary.
    Then this morning I have taken time to look at each one ( I had 12!) and analysis each one, one at a time.
    I realised that some of the issues I have been stressing about are not actual situations but what if's etc that I was worrying about.
    So I will practice addressing the what if's with the fact that it's an if, not a reality and I cannot do anything about an if except let it go.
    Some of the situations are more about the logistics of things, and the thought of having to do things.
    Silly really as the Social Services related stresses are when I break it down more anxiety about asking questions about my life and my beliefs etc. But I have done it before? It's time consuming, but actually it's mostly about facts. So common sense tells me, other than the time involved it's actually less of an ordeal than my mind has been stressing about.
    Care for Mum, has been worrying me. Yet she's in hospital and being cared for, I only have to find time to visit. There are 9 hours in the day that we can visit. Yesterday because I was on Overload Biggest went.
    So it's another task that is about planning ahead.
    I have planners that I have used in my business life. So it's time to use them in my personal life.
    Fear and juggling the money.
    Well it means that I have taken my eye off the budget, and we all know that I can get that back on track if I just do an SOA, and a review of the budget. Also I will be seeing my solicitor next week so he can use the law to chase the council to fulfil their obligations so it is actually only a temporary thing.
    Work.
    Well I have to manage my time and get out into the cabin and do one job at a time.
    I have taken the decision not to take on any more work until I have finished those in the system already or those promised.
    If it takes me a few weeks before I sew again after then so be it.
    If I budget correctly I can manage on the income I have currently. For a while anyway.
    So there are a few other things on similar lines that were on my list, and the last one was the idea of having to give up on my dreams.
    But I am trying to think about putting the plans on the back burner at the moment and not thinking all is lost. I am someone who has to have goals and dreams and therefore this is where I will need to make a mind map and try to find a resolution to my dilemma.

So apart from the fact that I feel like death warmed up, I am going to get down stairs , have a bath, hairwash and dress. Then I am going to go to my cabin. And immerse myself in catching up with the jobs I have. I will speak to Biggest and make a plan about shared visits.
    DS is still off work on rest until Monday. So I will continue to let him deal with his family and concentrate on getting my stresses ticked off the list and out of the way.
    I can do this. One step at a time.
    • hb2
    • By hb2 19th Oct 19, 9:29 AM
    • 522 Posts
    • 1,934 Thanks
    hb2
    Well done on breaking things down into manageable chunks Ss. As you say, many of our anxieties are about the 'what ifs' that often don't materialise anyway. Having a plan is good, worrying before you need to is counterproductive. 'Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof'.

I'm glad that you are feeling well enough to even consider getting some work done but please try not to push yourself too much just yet. As Polly said, there are some nasty viruses around and you can do without Post Viral Fatigue Syndrome, that really would put the mockers on things!
    • Savvy sewing
    • By Savvy sewing 19th Oct 19, 11:24 PM
    • 10,864 Posts
    • 57,164 Thanks
    Savvy sewing
    It took me a while to actually get into the work room, but I made it before 11. I decided that I would tackle the most urgent jobs, followed by the quick to do jobs so that I could stop at a suitable place if I needed to.
    Listening to motivational YouTube videos, I began I was a lot slower than I used to be, but I managed to shorten 3 pairs of jeans, 2 pairs of trousers. Turn a collar on a rugby shirt, replace buttons on two polo shirts, repair two damaged shirt cuffs, replace elastic in two vintage children's clothes, shorten two pairs of curtains and start to measure more but the light was going and it was already 5.45 or so. A good time to stop as DS had cooked a sausage and pasta bake.
    Then I came up to bed and started to look into the budget and ways to reduce my debts etc. Not as easily done as I am still currently awaiting funding. But I also did a bit of card transfers and set up I stand saving pots alongside my Pingit account for the children. As I can name each "jar" then I have one for each of the grandchildren living here, and I have set up a weekly transfer into each one starting on Wednesday.
    So all in all I have achieved quite a bit considering my throat is painful when I swallow, coughing, sneezing or Even blowing my nose!
    It's much much later than I expected to be up.
    But at least I have started to catch up with the work and the finances.
    • Savvy sewing
    • By Savvy sewing 20th Oct 19, 7:07 AM
    • 10,864 Posts
    • 57,164 Thanks
    Savvy sewing
    6.15 and small people coughing woke me.
    I started to think about what I need to do with my day ahead and then have had a little visitor, Granny I want to have your gadget to watch Boobo. So we are launched in to the day.
    Cuppa time first.
    My head is beginning to design and think about the designers requests etc so I think I might head out to the cabin and gather some fabrics and paper and work on the design things this morning.
    The curtains that need doing can wait until this afternoon.
    It's been a long time since I've felt like creating anything.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 20th Oct 19, 10:35 AM
    • 67,415 Posts
    • 305,662 Thanks
    beanielou
    Happy creating��
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14. MFW. 16 months to mortgage freedom.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~**
    **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • Savvy sewing
    • By Savvy sewing 20th Oct 19, 11:49 PM
    • 10,864 Posts
    • 57,164 Thanks
    Savvy sewing
    So I must indulge my creativity more. Although I didn't get to finish anything today as there wasn't enough fabric for what client had wanted I enjoyed being in the cabin and working on something other than alterations.
    I made beef burgers from scratch and a chicken curry as well. Throat is sore when I yawn it Even hurts!
    But I am on the mend.
    I met my friend for a drink at tea time, without the children for once, and we put the world to rights, and when I got home as everyone else were on gadgets I watched two episodes of Bones. The first series on my kindle.
    Mum has talked about the program before but I had never seen it. I enjoyed it and if it wasn't so late I might have watched a third episode!
    I have visitors coming to ask questions and make their snap decisions about me and my abilities tomorrow.
    So I best be prepared for a long history lesson and a glass of water at the ready, as I will take some time telling my life history to them.
    Where do we begin?
    Oh yes I was born ....
    I moved..... this is my 40th home....
    I went to 11 schools.....
    Yawn yawn
    Yes all my children are from my first husband. Etc etc etc
    Last edited by Savvy sewing; 21-10-2019 at 6:45 AM. Reason: Spelling
    • Savvy sewing
    • By Savvy sewing 21st Oct 19, 9:11 PM
    • 10,864 Posts
    • 57,164 Thanks
    Savvy sewing
    Busy day with various visitors, and school runs etc
    DS's car wouldn't start this morning so it's back to the garage
    I really need to look at getting my own car. Sports car is not suitable for ferrying family.
    Been arranging for a stairlift to be put in at Mums so hopefully it will not be too long as she wants to come out of hospital. She's getting back to her first self now and told the doctor off this morning. He's diagnosed three things so far that she doesn't have. She said he's too old and needs to be put out to pasture.
    Would have loved to be a fly on the wall then.

I still have not been able to see her as I am still not really well enough.
    I needed a nap this afternoon after school walk.
    I am in bed now and ready for sleep.
    DS is back in work so that's a relief.
    • Savvy sewing
    • By Savvy sewing 22nd Oct 19, 7:46 AM
    • 10,864 Posts
    • 57,164 Thanks
    Savvy sewing
    Message to self:-
    Take it slowly and pace yourself.
    Dgd has slipped at school and hurt her foot all over again. This is getting to be too much and I wonder if she's swinging the lead, and there is something else behind it.
    Time for another chat with her.
    I slept most of the night, with only waking up when she came in and when baby woke for a bottle, until 6.50.
    My money has finally been sorted out. So later I can be more focused on the budget. For now, I have washed up, hung up wet washing, loaded the washing machine, made tea and checked the bank balance.
    Tea is finished. Time to get the children ready for school etc.
    I have several fittings coming in this morning, that were already booked in, and Molly's coming to visit.
    So looking forward to seeing her.
    • Molly41
    • By Molly41 22nd Oct 19, 9:15 AM
    • 4,512 Posts
    • 38,317 Thanks
    Molly41
    Really looking forward to seeing you too xx
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. When it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    When the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
    • hb2
    • By hb2 22nd Oct 19, 10:20 AM
    • 522 Posts
    • 1,934 Thanks
    hb2
    Morning Ss, it is good to hear you sounding a little better (if that makes any sense!).

I'm sorry that GD has hurt herself again. Is she dyspraxic? That could explain the repeated injuries (or hypermobile joints?). However, I think you are right to explore other possibilities too. A chat certainly won't hurt, whatever the cause of the problem.

I hope you and Molly have a lovely time today!
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 22nd Oct 19, 10:59 AM
    • 3,374 Posts
    • 36,731 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    Like hb2 I was thinking that your grandaughter possibly has hypermobile joints. You need to ask the doctor to refer her for an assessment by a physiotherapist to see if they can tell why she keeps hurting herself. My son has hypermobile joints and regularly falls over due to going over on his ankles. Stairs at school are a concern when he's tired but he has a lift pass and staff know that if he falls it's not because he's been fooling around with his friends.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

13Posts Today

4,126Users online

Martin's Twitter