Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wymondham
    • By wymondham 30th May 19, 9:24 AM
    • 5,798Posts
    • 11,114Thanks
    wymondham
    Quandry over care/maintenance!
    • 30th May 19, 9:24 AM
    Quandry over care/maintenance! 30th May 19 at 9:24 AM
    Hi all

I hope you can help me with a decision!

My mother has gone into care as she has Alzheimer's, leaving her home with her partner living in it. She is self funding in the home as she saved all her life.

My quandary is that her house is in a bit of state and could do with a new bathroom/kitchen as its not been done since being built in the 80's and its falling apart.

I have Deputyship for her affairs and I'm tempted to divert some of her money to maintain her house. My concern is this reduces her capital for care...….. catch 22!

I'd be interested in views on this....
    Last edited by wymondham; 30-05-2019 at 9:29 AM.
Page 2
    • Newly retired
    • By Newly retired 30th Jun 19, 9:23 AM
    • 2,437 Posts
    • 2,847 Thanks
    Newly retired
    On the other hand, if you and your siblings are going to inherit this property, might the three of you be able to club together to do some improvements to the property if it really needs it?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,228Posts Today

7,200Users online

Martin's Twitter