Item not delivered who should I claim against post office or retailer?

:confused:
I recently ordered contact lenses from an online retailer, which were dispatched in three consignments. Two arrived as they could be easily posted through the door, but I never recieved the third simply a red 'sorry you were out card' with an explanation that it was too large to go through the letter box (third consigment are a different type and come in different packaging). After several trips to the post office, I was advised to put in a lost package claim as the post office cannot find the item. On picking up the form, it reads that the maximum payout of compensation is £36 but the lenses that are missing come to £50. I thought I may be better off claiming to the retailer rather than royal mail? Any advise would be appreciated?

Comments

• steveeeee
    steveeeee Posts: 409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Your contract of sale is with the retailer, not the post office. Report the lost item to the retailer and tell them what's happened.
  • Royal Mail may have returned the package to the sender, which is why they can't find the parcel.

Contact the retailer - it is up to them to ensure that the items get to you. I wouldn't worry about them not purchasing adequate insurance for the package - thats their responsibility.
  • Mark_Hewitt
    Mark_Hewitt Posts: 2,098 Forumite
    If you pay for the postage as part of the same transaction then it is entirely down to the retailer to get the parcel to you. Wether they use Royal Mail, Couriers or walk to your house in person, is none of your concern.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    as said,go back to your retailer and stand firm on this
    its down to them to replace/refund
  • Excellent thanks everyone I'll go back to the retailer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure