Real-life MMD: Should I share utility switching cashback?

Former_MSE_Sally
Former_MSE_Sally Posts: 74 Forumite
edited 27 November 2012 at 6:20PM in MoneySaving polls
Money Moral Dilemma: Should I share utility switching cashback?

I share a house. While we split the bills equally, the gas and electricity bill is in my name. When the price hikes were announced recently, I listened to the boss and switched to a fixed deal saving us £150/yr, clicking through a comparison site offering the most cashback. I've done the legwork, made the calls and sourced the deal. Now the switch is nearly complete, do I split the £30 cashback with my housemates? (I'm staying anonymous, in case they're reading...)

Click reply to have your say

Note: Please remember that these are real-life Money Moral Dilemmas and while we want you to have your say, please remember to be nice when you respond.

Previous MMDs:

[threadbanner] box [/threadbanner]

Comments

• I don't think I'd keep it, if you're sharing a house I would think that everyone mucks in with doing their bit - yours just managed to bag you a kickback. I'd be tempted to buy something with the cashback that benefits the whole household like a few £10 meal deals from M&S or a second hand wii console, something that gets you all together having a laugh. Living with others is tough enough without people thinking one of their housemates is being a little bit mean.
    11th Heaven prizes Number 103
    Jan Wins - £15 itunes voucher, Food Processor
    1) Holiday 2) Cash 3) Ipad [STRIKE]4) Kitchen gadgets[/STRIKE] 5) New Actifry 6) Garden/House makeover 7) New Bed 8) Multi-region BluRay player 9) Netbook 10) Gig tickets 11) 3D TV

• Dame
    Dame Posts: 16 Forumite
    You are all already saving £150/year through your hard work - the cashback should surely be for the person who put themself out to find the deal

I say keep it
  • I would say keep it. It's only £30 at the end of the day. You took initiative to bother doing the legwork - think of it as a little reward to yourself. And your housemates are better off anyway. Also the cash back may take months to come through.
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I wouldn't share it - you did the hard work of finding them a good deal, so they've all benefitted from that. The cashback is your wages for doing the work!
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • Curly
    Curly Posts: 398 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Keep it 100% and keep quiet.
    If you want to get with me there's some things you got to know,
    I like my beats fast and my base down low
  • Id keep it as your reward for finding the deal! :)
    'They only had one cow!'
  • irishjohn
    irishjohn Posts: 1,349 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Look at it this way - another housemate goes off to Mr T to buy house share items, eg Instant Coffee - large jar. He finds it is on BOGOF so brings back two jars - He puts one jar in the cupboard for communal use and keeps the second one to take into work to use for his coffee breaks? Does that sound fair to you? If it does then by all means keep the £30 - if it doesn't then I would hope the £30 goes into the communal pot of cash to pay the utility bills,
    John
  • mummybearx
    mummybearx Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    Keep it!

You earned it!
    Can't think of anything smart to put here...
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Keep it. You did all the leg work to save the house £150 , count it as a service fee. If you felt like it you could shout the house a takeaway perhaps.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Kirri
    Kirri Posts: 6,184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Keep it - it takes ages going through those comparison deals, most people wouldn't bother even trying and why should they share it if they've done nothing to help!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure