Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 4th Feb 19, 10:57 AM
    • 12,760Posts
    • 14,614Thanks
    Cornucopia
    0 WOW
    Good and Bad Buying at Lidl and Aldi (***Please don't expire***)
    • 4th Feb 19, 10:57 AM
    0 WOW
    Good and Bad Buying at Lidl and Aldi (***Please don't expire***) 4th Feb 19 at 10:57 AM
    Hi All,

This is the new Lidl and Aldi buying thread. Please report any good/bad deals, good/bad offers and good/bad products.

I've broadened the scope slightly, so that discussion of customer service issues and experiences won't be off-topic. But please remember that the thread works best when it's the sum of our knowledge about Lidl and Aldi, and not other supermarkets.

Thanks.

The old thread is here: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5394929
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 10-02-2019 at 8:36 AM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 5
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 3rd Apr 19, 4:38 PM
    • 30,112 Posts
    • 63,352 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I went in at lunchtime - they were just a few left on the two shelves reserved for them so they are going fast. Btw you were right about the pesto, now seems to be permanently at 69p

My local store has changed its layout so the "imported" baked goods are now quite separate from those baked instore.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
    • maman
    • By maman 3rd Apr 19, 6:10 PM
    • 20,225 Posts
    • 120,566 Thanks
    maman
    They're really famous in Portugal with a shop in Lisbon entirely devoted to them.
    https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g189158-d939704-r29667746-Pasteis_de_Belem-Lisbon_Lisbon_District_Central_Portugal.html#photo s;geo=189158&detail=939704&ff=386201118&albumViewM ode=hero&aggregationId=101&albumid=101&baseMediaId =386201118&thumbnailMinWidth=50&cnt=30&offset=-1&filter=7&autoplay=

Lance should take a trip there.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 3rd Apr 19, 8:35 PM
    • 30,112 Posts
    • 63,352 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I've tasted the nun's wares and honestly I prefer a genuine Bakewell tart.

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
    • pws52
    • By pws52 4th Apr 19, 6:01 AM
    • 179 Posts
    • 805 Thanks
    pws52
    After Tesco value oats changed in quality I started buying Aldi oats and was impressed on two counts....the quality and the paper packaging.
    However, packaging has been changed to plastic and the quality has deteriorated.

I have tried to email customer services but the message won’t send.

Looks like the remainder of the oats will be used for baking!
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 4th Apr 19, 7:07 AM
    • 30,112 Posts
    • 63,352 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Originally posted by pws52
    Ring then, and persevere for the greater good please. The same happened to me last week when I let them know about excess plastic packaging - reported the email problem then as well but it would appear to be an enduring problem.

• sparky0138
    • By sparky0138 4th Apr 19, 12:49 PM
    • 256 Posts
    • 329 Thanks
    sparky0138
    After Tesco value oats changed in quality I started buying Aldi oats and was impressed on two counts....the quality and the paper packaging.
    However, packaging has been changed to plastic and the quality has deteriorated.
    I completely agree. Have you tried the new oats that come in a box? The quality of those is a lot more like the oats that came in paper. Definitely don't recommend the oats in plastic as a replacement.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 4th Apr 19, 1:17 PM
    • 7,485 Posts
    • 14,512 Thanks
    Farway

Looks like the remainder of the oats will be used for baking!
    May not be handy, but the Lidl oats are nice & come in paper bags
    • pws52
    • By pws52 4th Apr 19, 2:43 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 805 Thanks
    pws52
    Thanks Farway, I have had Lidl oats before and found them to be ok.
    I will be visiting a Lidl tomorrow and will stock up.

VfM4meplease.
    I have phoned Aldi Customer Services to explain the difficulty in sending an email, disappointment at the change in packaging and in the quality of the product.
    My comments are to be passed on to the relevant people.

Sparky0138....I will try your recommendation. Thank you.
    • maman
    • By maman 4th Apr 19, 4:05 PM
    • 20,225 Posts
    • 120,566 Thanks
    maman
    May not be handy, but the Lidl oats are nice & come in paper bags
    Originally posted by Farway

Thanks for that. I think it was a retrograde step when Aldi stopped doing that, changed to Mornflake Oats and now their own brand has returned but in plastic.

Just giving a heads up that a voucher for Lidl (£10 off a £40 shop) is to be in The Times on Saturday and the Sunday Times.

Last time they did this IIRC, you couldn't use the voucher at the weekend but we'll see when it's printed.

I plan to go there on Saturday to try to get some muesli. Then I'll return midweek with y voucher and stock up on porage and cornichons and lazy garlic and dishwasher stuff and whatever else I like in Lidl.

Who knows I might even introduce DH to a Portuguese tart.
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 4th Apr 19, 4:10 PM
    • 8,250 Posts
    • 14,971 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    I've tasted the nun's wares and honestly I prefer a genuine Bakewell tart.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    They are Bakewell Puddings for the genuine thing.
    • lucky77
    • By lucky77 6th Apr 19, 10:08 AM
    • 181 Posts
    • 97 Thanks
    lucky77
    Thanks to maman for heads up on Lidl voucher - £10 off £40 spend. It is valid from today so you can use it for muesli offer etc as I did. I think it was valid until 11th April.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 6th Apr 19, 1:04 PM
    • 12,760 Posts
    • 14,614 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Random special buy & price reductions at Lidl:-

- Sondey Organic Mini Oat Cookies - 150g 34p (special purchase section) Cherry or Dark Chocolate. A little bit dry, but curiously moreish.

- "Proper" Roast Ham (like Aldi Torchon Ham) - 150g £1.19

- Strawberries are starting again. 400g £1.19

When I was in Aldi the other day, the Cashier asked me what the 29p Piccolo Breadsticks were like (I had a couple of packs in anticipation of them finishing soon). She told me that they "keep being sent more", so hopefully they will be around for a bit longer.
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 06-04-2019 at 1:08 PM.
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • maman
    • By maman 6th Apr 19, 4:38 PM
    • 20,225 Posts
    • 120,566 Thanks
    maman
    Thanks to maman for heads up on Lidl voucher - £10 off £40 spend. It is valid from today so you can use it for muesli offer etc as I did. I think it was valid until 11th April.
    Originally posted by lucky77

Glad to be of assistance. Good that you can use it for the weekend offers.

We take the papers anyway so it didn't cost anything extra. There's another in there tomorrow too if you buy the Sunday Times. Not sure what the dates will be on that.

Like you, I stocked up on muesli and did most of my shop there instead of my usual Aldi. People were complaining that there was no Sauvignon Blanc (mid morning).
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 8th Apr 19, 9:39 PM
    • 6,994 Posts
    • 19,846 Thanks
    Doc N
    I wonder why it is that the Lidl 'Cravendale-style' filtered milk always has an extra week on the Use By date, compared with the Aldi equivalent?

Pretty much the only thing (apart from the Pasteis de Nata) we still feel the need to go to Lidl for, instead of Aldi. A depressingly dull range of breads compared with Aldi - despite being a much bigger store, and less refrigeration of fruit such as grapes too.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 8th Apr 19, 9:55 PM
    • 12,760 Posts
    • 14,614 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    A depressingly dull range of breads compared with Aldi - despite being a much bigger store, and less refrigeration of fruit such as grapes too.
    Originally posted by Doc N
    I think Lidl favour the in-store bakery bread - two problems with that (a) not all stores have one, and (b) some ISB bread/roll types are more expensive than other Supermarkets, and no slicing machine, either.
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 08-04-2019 at 9:57 PM.

• VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 9th Apr 19, 6:08 AM
    • 30,112 Posts
    • 63,352 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I think Lidl favour the in-store bakery bread - two problems with that (a) not all stores have one, and (b) some ISB bread/roll types are more expensive than other Supermarkets, and no slicing machine, either.
    Originally posted by Cornucopia
    But if you get there early, then you can take your pick. Which is always a nice start to the day

• Dee 1303
    • By Dee 1303 9th Apr 19, 7:58 AM
    • 164 Posts
    • 350 Thanks
    Dee 1303
    Easter Wine Offers on now
    Aldi have an Easter 6 wine offer on now with some good prices, for example: Prosecco Frizante £3-99 75cl 10.5% abv.
    https://www.aldi.co.uk/c/wines/easter-offers
    • duncanthedog
    • By duncanthedog 11th Apr 19, 7:56 AM
    • 564 Posts
    • 1,318 Thanks
    duncanthedog
    Dad says the 65p frozen cheesecakes in both Lidl and Aldi are good value.
    Would serve 4 easily but he is a guts and scoffs the lot himself
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 11th Apr 19, 8:49 AM
    • 12,760 Posts
    • 14,614 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    The Aldi Salted Caramel & Chocolate Hot Cross Buns (as seen on TV) are deliciously different - quite subtle spice that complements the chocolate really well. The only thing is that they are extremely messy (the melted chocolate gets everywhere). 4 for 89p.

Blueberry HC Buns are also available.

Price reduction at Aldi: French Brie 200g now 79p - seems like there is some price competition on this from other supermarkets matching the long-term Lidl/Aldi price of 85p.

Aldi Soyummy Soya Yogurt (that was discussed a while back) is now discontinued (at my store, anyway).

• Farway
    • By Farway 13th Apr 19, 9:39 AM
    • 7,485 Posts
    • 14,512 Thanks
    Farway
    Easter week offer is veg, carrots and the like 29p kg, just in case you were thinking of getting some in could be wise to hold off for a day or so until offers appear
    Last edited by Farway; 13-04-2019 at 1:26 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,002Posts Today

8,601Users online

Martin's Twitter