PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Help me find an affordable place to buy a house

Comments

• homeless9
    homeless9 Posts: 340 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Look outside the thing of wanting new builds too. I know a few that have bought them and they have had no end of problems. Shop around a bit. You can get good value for money if your out the towns too

True.

I do have a thing for new build homes. That new, clean, unused, neat look. Can just move in and not worry about having to change anything, but maybe paint or wallpaper a few walls.

To me - the look of the house, how it is presented is important to me. A lot of older builds look awful....

But I understand they are cheaper, and if you can find one that looks nice and has a modern kitchen and bathroom - then that's a bonus.
  • homeless9
    datlex wrote: »
    Chavs in all towns.......

Maybe, but I said no chav towns, I didn't say I want to live in a town with zero chavs.

If it's like living in the TV series 'Shameless'....... then keep me away.
  • homeless9
    Anyone know what Plymouth is like ? I noticed it's pretty cheap for property.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 15 October 2018 at 9:33PM
    homeless9 wrote: »
    Anyone know what Plymouth is like ? I noticed it's pretty cheap for property.
    Like all reasonably sized cities, it has good and rough areas, but with rather more of the rough than the other city in Devon, Exeter. The dockland/naval services areas are probably best avoided.

Being about an hour further from most other places than Exeter, it's the slightly poor relation in a similar way that Swansea is to Cardiff.

Nice countryside all around and (I'll say it quietly) Cornish coves and beaches aren't far either!

Edit: Dampish but warmer than 'Oop norf ' in the winter.

• Davesnave wrote: »
    Like all reasonably sized cities, it has good and rough areas, but with rather more of the rough than the other city in Devon, Exeter. The dockland/naval services areas are probably best avoided.

Being about an hour further from most other places than Exeter, it's the slightly poor relation in a similar way that Swansea is to Cardiff.

Nice countryside all around and (I'll say it quietly) Cornish coves and beaches aren't far either!

Edit: Dampish but warmer than 'Oop norf ' in the winter.

Cheers, I will look at Exeter...

In Plymouth they are building the 'next Poundbury', called Sherford. I love these developments. I love the fact that some people care about how homes, villages, towns, look.

Some beautiful and affordable homes being built there. The problem is that it's going to take another 18 years to complete it. 5,500 homes in total.
  • I live in a village near to a town called Northwich in Cheshire which has pretty much everything you listed, including the house prices.

45~ minutes from Liverpool & Manchester

There is a new build development called Winnington Village, it's been going for a few years now and houses still going up. Might be worth checking out.
  • Davesnave wrote: »
    it's the slightly poor relation in a similar way that Swansea is to Cardiff.

That's being very kind to Swansea.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • quantumlobster
    quantumlobster Posts: 509 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 16 October 2018 at 11:45AM
    homeless9 wrote: »
    Maybe, but I said no chav towns, I didn't say I want to live in a town with zero chavs.

If it's like living in the TV series 'Shameless'....... then keep me away.
    Just about town of any size in the UK is perfectly liveable, with both good and bad areas.

Middlesbrough is no different.

Middlesbrough: https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-75448694.html

Also Middlesbrough: https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-56803272.html

Also Middlesbrough, top of your budget, meets your criteria (safe etc): https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-76256096.html
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 16 October 2018 at 5:16PM
    277 properties to rent in Maidstone on RM alone. 71 of those are under £700pcm.

Must say, he seems like a charming bloke... Not sure I'd be quoting him, but hey ho.

https://www.kentlive.news/news/kent-news/seven-most-cringeworthy-things-kent-748227

Maybe they can't afford the rent because of his price increases...

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/sep/12/fergus-wilson-rent-rise-property-kent-Maidstone

OP by all means consider Kent, but the nice bits are pricey. Cheap Kent is generally cheap for a reason.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport