PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

neighbour building wall - obstructing to open car door

Options

Comments

• MysteryMe
    MysteryMe Posts: 3,052 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Lorian wrote: »
    How do you know?

I missed out the word "my" as in my house

Thanks for asking for clarification without resorting to mocking
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    MysteryMe wrote: »
    I missed out the word "my" but that is no excuse for the manner of your response.

It was a significant omission that entirely alters the sense of the sentence. And G_M has earned the right to post in whatever way they choose within the forum rules (which that post certainly was), when you've built up a similar reputation we'll cut you some slack too.
  • rajgn
    rajgn Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think I understand my position better now...
    Thank You all for your suggestions...I appreciate you all taking time to respond in-spite of busy schedule.
  • societys_child
    Options
    Badger50 wrote: »
    The OP owns land which is part of the land originally benefiting from the restrictive covenant applying to the neighbours land
    What covenant? Think you're confused by something said by another poster, who was referring to their own property, not the one under discussion.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    Why would it put people off? If the area's too small to park on, I'd rather have it walled off. When it's left open, people have a tendency to treat it like it's a public path...like you've been doing.

A lot of houses built in the sixties and seventies have drives that we’re fine for the cars of that time but too narrow now. Most of my street is in that position and most would never consider doing something that made their neighbour’s drive unusable. We all cross over each other’s drives.

So OP, while you have had correct advice on the legality, I just wanted to sympathise that I think they’ve been inconsiderate and not behaved very nicely or been good neighbours on this.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    I think we've pretty comprehensively established that the majority 21st century view is not to infringe on someone else's land - even if it is such a situation (ie drives built in the era of smaller cars). We've seen too many cases of neighbours trying for a bit and then maybe a bit more of someone else's garden.

We know also that care is necessary to stop a bad neighbour trying to claim a legal right to pass over our garden - on the excuse they've been doing it for years.

That from a position of I think part of my garden (on house from that era) might have been deemed to be a drive at that time. But I can see clearly it's simply not wide enough for a drive nowadays - and so it isn't a drive and has now been incorporated into the garden.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options

That from a position of I think part of my garden (on house from that era) might have been deemed to be a drive at that time. But I can see clearly it's simply not wide enough for a drive nowadays - and so it isn't a drive and has now been incorporated into the garden.

Well mine is definitely still a drive and I shall continue to let my neighbours walk on it to get out of their cars! I suspect the dozens of other houses on the street will do the same, I don’t think anybody wants all those cars suddenly parking on the street to avoid the disaster of someone setting foot on a few feet of somebody else’s tarmac! :rotfl:
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    A lot of houses built in the sixties and seventies have drives that we’re fine for the cars of that time but too narrow now.

OP's house was built in 1999 and the parking space is 2.68 metreswide. That is massive. I could park my car in a space that wide and access one side of it very easily.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure