Points to my online licence

Options

Comments

• Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,688 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    debtdebt wrote: »
    If your partner attended Court, he would found out about the fine and ban.

That's what I was thinking; I can't comprehend deciding not to go to court over it and wasting even more time 2nd guessing.

Next time he's caught (because lets face it, on 15 points he's not going to learn), make sure he goes to court to find out about his ban or jail time.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Jt146 wrote: »
    We selected not to come to court as there is no chance he is getting out of this. They then sent another letting asking for us to select whether he would like to attend court or not.

AFAIK, you cannot select whether to attend or not, you have to attend court if you face disqualification, so the court can consider your case.
    If they do decided to disqualify you, then it is from that instant, and you can't even drive home.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,213 Forumite
    Options
    facade wrote: »
    AFAIK, you cannot select whether to attend or not, you have to attend court if you face disqualification, so the court can consider your case.
    If they do decided to disqualify you, then it is from that instant, and you can't even drive home.

It's not compulsory, but they used to routinely postpone cases to give the accused the opportunity to attend.

Apparently in some areas they now send letters like the one the OP has mentioned, warning not to drive until the sentence has been confirmed.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Options
    Perhaps your OH needs to invest a little into his own education? He sounds a little....dim.
  • stripeyfox
    Options
    I think it best he stops driving altogether....
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,688 Forumite
    Options
    Car_54 wrote: »
    It's not compulsory, but they used to routinely postpone cases to give the accused the opportunity to attend.

Apparently in some areas they now send letters like the one the OP has mentioned, warning not to drive until the sentence has been confirmed.

So by not attending they have delayed the ban, but extended the limbo and delayed the point at which he can drive again? It's already going to have to be mentioned to car insurance companies (as pending) and I wouldn't be surprised if they refused cover for someone who's pending a totting ban.

Presumably there's some mechanism in place to prevent someone just never turning up and not getting disqualified.
  • Rover_Driver
    Options
    Herzlos wrote: »
    Presumably there's some mechanism in place to prevent someone just never turning up and not getting disqualified.

A common process is if at the first hearing when a ban is likely and the person is not present, (as in the OP's case) the matter is adjourned so that the person can attend, and give any reasons why they should not be banned, but if they are, they are aware that they have been. If they do not attend the adjourned case (as in the OP's case), they can still be banned, which, as above, will be from that time, hence the letter warning the person not to drive.
  • Rover_Driver
    Rover_Driver Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Jt146 wrote: »
    When are the points and disqualification and fine amount likely to appear on his online DVLA gov licence

It depends how long the court take to notify the DVLA, and how long it takes the DVLA system to be updated.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    And why is this thread called Points To MY Online Licence if it isn't your licence? ;)
  • Jt146
    Jt146 Posts: 9 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    His problems are my problems, his fines mine, team spirit. Fortunately his licence is not mine...

If anyone is interested, they have again adjourned the case another month and have requested his attendance. I think this is because previously and very recently we have proved extreme hardship.

I found this out by emailing them. Luckily I have one day annual leave left to get him there as I don’t think he’d be getting home on his own !

Thanks for those that answered constructively!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure