E87 120d no spare wheel, question

Hi

Bought 120d as a daily, currently on winters but worried about no spare.

I have seen e87 space savers advertised but looking in the boot - where the he'll do they go?

Any help most welcome.

Comments

• AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 10 August 2018 at 8:52AM
    Are the slung underneath?

You probably haven!!!8217;t got the cage fitted if there!!!8217;s no spare.

Edit: It looks like they may go in a bag in the boot.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 10 August 2018 at 9:04AM
    The 1 series doesn't come with a space saver, it came from the factory with run flats. There's no space for a spare but you can get a tyre "mobility" kit which consists of a compressor and some tyre gel to sort you out until you can get the tyre changed.

http://r.ebay.com/YetxGR
  • gabitzul
    gabitzul Posts: 299 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forget about the "mobility" kit, will be of no help when you wreck your tyre. Get the space saver and store it in the boot in a bin bag or something.
  • neilmcl
    gabitzul wrote: »
    Forget about the "mobility" kit, will be of no help when you wreck your tyre. Get the space saver and store it in the boot in a bin bag or something.
    How often do people "wreck" their tyres. More often or not it'll be a simple puncture which can easily be "fixed" long enough to get you back on the road and to your tyre fitters. The space is the E87 is tight enough without lugging around a spare tyre, space saver or not.

At the end of the day, it's OP's decision.
  • AlexMac
    AlexMac Posts: 2,986 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    My last few BMWs had run-flats, except the current one which, because it's a bottom of the range 318, has conventional tyres... but still no spare wheel. I have little trust in the can of gloop and electric inflation pack, but thanks fully, I've never needed it. On the 2-3 occasions in the past 15 years when I have picked up a nail or screw, the pressure sensor on the dashboard has been a godsend. It alerts you to a slow puncture, you slip out the trusty footpump (which I keep in the original wheel-well cubby hole below the boot floor), jack up the pressure and pop into a repair shop (my local one would repair run-flats on an assurance that I'd not run 'em flat; a BMW dealer won't however).

On one occasion I decided to replace a pair of tyres as the damaged one was getting low, and had to leave the car for 24 hours as I was in deepest Dorset and it took that to source a pair.

But otherwise, I've been lucky and never had to invoke a mobile tyre service (I keep a number in my phone, though) nor my recovery service (one of the many good-value benefits of a Nationwide Premium Account) in 200,000 miles of motoring in the UK and mainland Europe!

Always meant to buy a jack and space-saver, but never got round to it. Don't think my car even has a jacking point?

So, punk; you gotta ask yesself- do you feel lucky? I do!
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    neilmcl wrote: »
    How often do people "wreck" their tyres. More often or not it'll be a simple puncture which can easily be "fixed" long enough to get you back on the road and to your tyre fitters. The space is the E87 is tight enough without lugging around a spare tyre, space saver or not.

At the end of the day, it's OP's decision.

I did it once when I went too close to the side of a minor road with crumbling edges and shredded the inside of the tyre. I was very grateful for a spacesaver that day.
  • neilmcl
    agrinnall wrote: »
    I did it once when I went too close to the side of a minor road with crumbling edges and shredded the inside of the tyre. I was very grateful for a spacesaver that day.
    Yes, but it's quite a rare occurrence to totally wreck a tyre. Getting a puncture is rare enough, I can count on one hand the number of time I've had a puncture in the past 15 years.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    neilmcl wrote: »
    Yes, but it's quite a rare occurrence to totally wreck a tyre. Getting a puncture is rare enough, I can count on one hand the number of time I've had a puncture in the past 15 years.

Oh, I agree, and the few other punctures I've had have been things like a screw in the centre of the tread that was easily mended, I was just pointing out that it does happen and when it does anything other than a spare of some sort is of no use whatsoever.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure