eBay Scam - Item delivered to Argos for Click and Collect

Comments

• theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    hollydays wrote: »
    Argos would definitely not hand over a damaged parcel?

I'm not sure they would notice necessarily. I would hope they wouldn't but you just don't know. That said, if it got to Argos in one piece then eBay will suffer the loss and the only way to tackle that is to work backwards and start with the buyer, ascertain the state of the parcel and then go back to eBay saying it was damaged on collection - they will need that message confirmation from the buyer.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I'm not sure they would notice necessarily. I would hope they wouldn't but you just don't know. That said, if it got to Argos in one piece then eBay will suffer the loss and the only way to tackle that is to work backwards and start with the buyer, ascertain the state of the parcel and then go back to eBay saying it was damaged on collection - they will need that message confirmation from the buyer.

But it didn't get there in one piece according to the buyer.
    And at this point also you've no proof of theft- only loss.
  • theonlywayisup
    Forumite
    But it didn't get there in one piece according to the buyer.

I missed where (as in at which stage of the journey) the item was damaged - has the buyer confirmed it was damaged on collection and that the damage was highlighted to Argos? Has the OP been to Argos and asked if it was damaged on arrival, or during or when handing over?
  • theonlywayisup
    Forumite
    Op, you need to go back to the buyer and ascertain where it was damaged and if it was obvious at collection, to whom they reported it as damaged.
  • hollydays
    Forumite
    I missed where (as in at which stage of the journey) the item was damaged - has the buyer confirmed it was damaged on collection and that the damage was highlighted to Argos? Has the OP been to Argos and asked if it was damaged on arrival, or during or when handing over?

The packaging was damaged which means the buyers suggesting the contents have been removed or fallen out. Hard if not impossible to disprove.
  • darren72
    darren72 Posts: 1,288
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks everyone for the replies - a lot of useful information has been provided.

I've just been speaking to eBay. They are going to start by contacting the local Argos store to see if the item arrived with the packaging damaged.

I will wait for confirmation from them I think before taking it up with the buyer again.
  • theonlywayisup
    Forumite
    The packaging was damaged which means the buyers suggesting the contents have been removed or fallen out.

As per my post above. The OP needs to ascertain if the item was damaged on arrival at Argos, during or when passing to the buyer. Without that it's impossible to say if eBay will cover the loss or not. eBay will cover the loss/damage if the item was damaged while Argos had the parcel. They then reimburse both buyer and seller. If the OP can get the buyer to pinpoint exactly what happened (ie if he reported it to Argos or not) then that will be the only hope.
  • hollydays
    Forumite
    edited 5 August 2018 at 12:54PM
    As per my post above. The OP needs to ascertain if the item was damaged on arrival at Argos, during or when passing to the buyer. Without that it's impossible to say if eBay will cover the loss or not. eBay will cover the loss/damage if the item was damaged while Argos had the parcel. They then reimburse both buyer and seller. If the OP can get the buyer to pinpoint exactly what happened (ie if he reported it to Argos or not) then that will be the only hope.

There's absolutely no way of finding out if it was allegedly damaged in transit or by Argos unless Argos have a policy of checking for damage
  • theonlywayisup
    Forumite
    edited 5 August 2018 at 4:01PM
    There's absolutely no way of finding out if it was allegedly damaged in transit or by Argos unless Argos have a policy of checking for damage

No way? Of course there is a way.

I don't know the internal workings of Argos to say if an item arriving in poor/damaged state is recorded or not, do you? I would hazard a guess it's there somewhere.

If the buyer is bonafide and says it was damaged then we have to assume it was damaged, if he says it was damaged AND he reported it, then even better. Of course what we cannot know is if the buyer is bonafide or not (the OP is best placed as hopefully knows more).

I don't do C&C at Argos although when it started I did and have had items go walkies. I have had damages, always paid by eBay because they were reported by Argos or by the customer to Argos (I should caveat that I can only recall one that was actually collected despite the damage but the item value was repaid in full by eBay). If seller and buyer communicate, regardless of what the eBay/Argos team decide, they've always found in seller & buyer favour.

Edit - I do recall a thread (news article?) where the item was perfume (liquid?) and had been delivered to Argos and it was clear the contents were completely broken and had leaked - if I recall correctly the buyer made several trips to Argos before eventually being given the empty but intact parcel - the member of staff accusing them of trying to scam Argos. I will try and find it. eBay did then make the decision that they would cover such losses/damage, so it must have been very early in the Argos eBay love-in.
  • darren72
    darren72 Posts: 1,288
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks everyone for your replies.

eBay got back to confirm that they were refunding the buyer in full and also allowing me to keep the funds. They said that Argos should not have accepted the parcel if it had arrived damaged.

I still think the buyer was trying to scam - They have in the end ended up with the ipad and a full refund. We haven't lost out though, which was our main concern.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure