Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Comments

• NoviceAngel
    NoviceAngel Posts: 2,271 Forumite
    Alan_Bowen wrote: »
    If the pilot had become ill at the airport, there may be no compensation payable ....

Crew illness is not generally regarded as an EC, it’s something the airline should be able to cope with IMHO
    After reading PtL Vaubans Guide , please don't desert us, hang around and help others!

Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Jekyll
    Jekyll Posts: 11 Forumite
    Alan_Bowen wrote: »
    If the pilot had become ill at the airport, there may be no compensation payable but BMI Regional have had a lot of technical problems with their jets recently, which would justify compensation so take everything you hear from the airline with a large pinch of salt. I presume they put you on a Flybe flight back as BMI do not fly to Cardiff? Interestingly, both Paris flights operated on time today......

Yes it was a FlyBe/AirFrance flight. I'm not too sure whether the ground crew member at the BMI check in desk at CDG Airport understood me fully when I asked what the problem was as I did have to repeat myself a few times but she said it was the "pilot being ill" so "a crew issue" It was just a real pain in the backside having to go to Cardiff and the mess with the minibus situation to be honest!
  • Jekyll
    Jekyll Posts: 11 Forumite
    Should I have said anything at the check in desk at CDG about compensation? Only I've just remembered on the check in desk at Flybe it mentioned about getting a text with your rights if you are declined entry to board or your flight being cancelled. I didn't mention anything at the time because it was a different airline we were flying with so assumed they wouldn't really care about any compensation (if due)
  • chunky123
    chunky123 Posts: 9 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 10 May 2018 at 7:20AM
    Hi All
    Was wondering if anyone could help?
    I was on a Pegasus flight from Stansted and took off about 10 mins late but had to return to the airport because of a tail strike which i believe is a pilot error after returning to the apron we were held on the plane while check were made we eventually took off and we arrived in Izmir about 25 min late,which I believe is a case for compensation.I initially wrote a letter using the Resolver template but had the letter returned as apparently they have no office at the address I was given.I emailed the Istanbul office and recieved a case number but havent heard anything since does anyone know:

1.Do I have a case for compensation ?
    2 How do I next proceed ?

regards
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,539 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    chunky123 wrote: »
    and we arrived in Izmir about 25 min late,

not sure if this is a typo but arrival time needs to be over 3 hours late. What was your flight number and date?
  • chunky123
    chunky123 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Caz3121 wrote: »
    not sure if this is a typo but arrival time needs to be over 3 hours late. What was your flight number and date?

Sorry your right my mistake my flight was PC1528 on 15/02/2018 Stansted to Izmir and arrived 3hours and 21 mintues late.

regards
  • Hi everyone,

Eurowings changed our flight times which meant we had to call them to receive book our flight connection.

This was about 3 weeks before the flight and we were already away (it was a long 8 month trip) in Costa Rica. We had no choice but to call them from there incurring a bill of £200!! We waited 30 mins queuing on the phone and had several times on hold for long periods.

I've complained to eurowings but is there any legislation I can use to help the claim. It just seems so unfair when it wasn't out fault and there was absolutely no alternative.

Thanks so much.
  • bobesox
    bobesox Posts: 129 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Just arrived back from Fort Lauderdale BA 2168 following a 24 hour delay. No information for first 2 hours and then we saw the departure time changed several times from 16.55 to 18.37, then 20.00, 20.30 and even 2m the following morning. Apparantly plane had diverted to Orlando and was on its way, then someone said plane had been hit by lightning hence the Orlando landing but why the site kept being updated suggesting a departure that evening apparantly no contingency plans in operation to provide cabin crew. Even at the airport no BA reps to update us for several hours only swissair who knew nothing. When a manager did arrive she apologised for us having to be bussed to a hotel 30 minutes away and explained that this was the first problem BA had had at this airport since flying in July and no contingency plans in operation. With regards to possible compensation I guess if the plane was struck by lightning this could not be blamed on BA but the lack of contingency plans and incompetence might that be something they should be held responsible for causing 24 hour delay? Any assistance greatly appreciated.
    CHEAP IN COST NOT IN STYLE...
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    Hi,

If it was weather related then compensation is not due.

British Airways B777-200ER G-VIIU BA2169 Orlando Diversion May 14, 2018

British Airways Boeing 777-236ER G-VIIU operating BA2169 London Gatwick – Fort Lauderdale diverted to Orlando this afternoon due to weather at Fort Lauderdale. The aircraft later positioned Orlando – Fort Lauderdale as BA9157 in order to operate BA2168 Fort Lauderdale – London Gatwick.

http://thebasource.com/british-airways-b777-200er-g-viiu-ba2169-orlando-diversion/
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • bobesox
    bobesox Posts: 129 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 16 May 2018 at 9:58PM
    Yes I appreciate bad weather is not BA s fault but looking at the guide I do not feel they made suitable effort to provide a replacement crew which was meant to land at FLL from Orlando at 8pm to enable us to fly out that evening. Indeed updated we were able to obtain suggested we were still due to take off at 2am. It was staffing that was the issue for the very long delay not the weather or plane.
    CHEAP IN COST NOT IN STYLE...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure