Mortgage freedom..Shala_moo's attempt at a diary..

Comments

• shala_moo
    shala_moo Posts: 3,272 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 20 January 2014 at 10:54PM
    Jan Monthly figures
    Outstanding Mortgage £149,452.55
    LTV rate - 66.42% (need this below 65%)
    Family Loan £3,700 (OH will pay this each month)
    Daily interest £16.34
    Offset Savings £12,583.80

Total Debt as present moment £140,568.75(-1,840.09):j

Health goals 7.5lb lost :j and 2 mile walk done this morning

Other money saving :
    • ordered £20 Debs vouchers from CP (will use for work clothes and put the money in a pot for Xmas savings)
    • currently making ricotta, with a cheese kit the sister bought me for xmas (money saving? milk cost 89p, ricotta cost £1.09 so not a great saving but it's a bit of fun!)
    • cooked a chicken in the slowpot on Sunday, it made - 2 x chicken dinner, 3 portions of Butterbean and Chicken soup and 2 portions of chicken and ham pie made. (the butterbeans had been in the cupboard for years:rotfl: sshhhh don't tell OH)
    • made 4 portions of baked oatmeal this morning - total cost 57p - so that's 4 breakfasts ready prepared for me :T
    Money Spending this week:
    • car is currently in the garage awaiting an MOT, dreading how much that will cost :eek: budgeted £100 in previous years, but it's now over 8 years old so I expect more repairs will need to be done - failed, not sure of cost yet, but needs bulb replaced, brake discs replaced and handbrake cable tightening :eek:
    • cat needs to go for his booster - [STRIKE]£30??[/STRIKE]it was £48 little b*gger ;)
    • 2 lots of collections at work :(
    Mortgage amount at 31/12/2011 £166,050 now £0 as at Sept 21 - 15yrs 4 months early.

• shala_moo
    edited 25 January 2014 at 2:47PM
    Grrrrr I've just lost two long posts.. I don't know what I'm pressing but it just keeps going back a page!

Try again!

We've just been to pick up the car from the garage, OH decided to play a trick on me and told me it was £470 for the repairs :eek::eek::eek:

After he stopped laughing :naughty: he told me the real price - £126 :T £100 budgeted for so I've only got to find an extra £26 :j I'd left £400 in my current account to cover any major repairs, so this can now be moved into the unofficial offset account :T

Second money shuffle can be done today as OH has got paid a week early..
    • £150 paid off family loan
    • £100 transferred from bills a/c to pay for MOT & repairs
    • £400 put into unofficial offset pot
    Some other money saving also done today
    • walked home from the garage this morning - 2miles - saves petrol and better for fitness
    • will be walking up to my dad's shortly, 1.5 miles (ish) saves petrol
    • fakeaway tonight - Chinese curry type affair
    • resealed the bath ourselves - saves paying a handy man - now got to see if it works :rotfl:we're not the best at DIY
    • ordered an online shop with Waitrose - struggled to get to the £50 minimum spend now we don't drink coke/pepsi so I might stop using online shopping now except for my big orders
    • ordered a free Gr*ze box
    Mortgage amount at 31/12/2011 £166,050 now £0 as at Sept 21 - 15yrs 4 months early.

• Peonie
    Peonie Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    Hi Shala,

Well done walking. Is your unofficial off-set account for the mortgage and is it in your normal account?

When you resealed the bath did you fill it with water first?
    Pots: House £6966/£7100, Rainy day Complete, [STRIKE]Sunny day £0/£700[/STRIKE], IVF £2523/£2523, Car up-keep £135/£135, New car £5000/£5000, Holiday £1000/£1000, MFW #16 £2077/£3120
    MFiT3 #86: Reduce mortgage from £146,800 to £125,000
    Mortgage Sept 2014: £135,500, MF Oct 2035 Peak July 2011: £154,000, MF July 2036
  • shala_moo
    Hi Peonie, hope you're well,

The unofficial offset is just money that I have stashed in a few different accounts - a couple of ISA's and a normal savings account. I'm hoping to get a proper offset mortgage in Sept so I'll just leave them where they are for now, then move them when it's all set up.

Don't laugh, but the :money:in me didn't want to waste money filling up the bath with water (we're on a meter) so we came up with a different solution - OH's has an amp which weighs 400lb so we stuck that in the bath instead :rotfl:I figure it's got to be heavier than water would have been! Hopefully it won't get wet :eek:

I was impressed with us actually, it looks really neat and we didn't have an argument over it at all :D

I've also currently got the showerhead soaking in white vinegar to clean the limescale off it :money:

• shala_moo
    edited 26 January 2014 at 8:45PM
    I've been experimenting today :D

In the winter OH's breakfast of choice is Oatss*simple, and at £2.40-ish for a box I find it a little expensive, especially because my porridge (normal oats) costs less than 10p, sooo....

I googled it!

Turns out you can make your own - and I found this fab website that's showed me how (Link here)

I've worked out the cost difference of the basic mix :

Oatss*simple + milk = 0.35p a portion (215 cals)
    Oatsnotsosimple + water = 0.08p* per portion (185 cals)
    (My Recipe was very basic version of the bloggers - 1/3c oats, 2tsp oatbran, 2tsp milk powder, 1.5tsp sugar and a pinch of salt)

A saving of 27p per day per portion!

And the best thing is, OH thinks they're brilliant so is happy to swap onto these instead :j:j

Can't wait to try the flavoured ones, although this will up the cost and calories somewhat.

Just off to clean the kitchen now, there's oats everywhere! :(:rotfl:

*this experimental batch is completely free as I had everything in the cupboard already - just don't tell OH the milk powder BBE date was Nov 12 and we'll be fine :rotfl:

• BlueMoo
    BlueMoo Posts: 424 Forumite
    I too made a version of Oatso simple using powdered milk and belnded oats.

Unfortunately my OH did not take to it at all - he ate the batch I had prepared but was def not keen to switch!

I even tried tempting him with cinnamon and nutmeg, but no.

Glad to see it has gone well for you though.
    M3 Dec2015 #160 Target £150,000 (BU £155000)
  • shala_moo
    Hi Bluemoo.. I used normal oats, just value ones from Tesc0, maybe that would make a difference as it's not as mushy as blended oats.

I didn't think my OH would go for them either to be honest, I underestimated him!

:D

On a separate but kind of related note I've figured out that giving up daily Coke, daily crisps and OH changing his breakfast will save us around £450 a year and help maintain better health :j it's a win win!!

• Well done on breaking the £150000 barrier!!!! I am aining for the £130 barrier by march , it feels like a mission!! x
    Dec 2011 £141,000 / dec 2013 £135,000/ Jan 2014 £131,000 / July 2014 £129 000
  • shala_moo
    Hi MC, thanks for visting - what a great achievement to get to by March - good luck with it!! I'll pop and find your diary :D

• shala_moo
    Hi all.. bit of a quiet week this week really, OH usually gets paid today but as he was paid last week instead, it's means no more money shuffling for 3 weeks.. :(

I did, however, order my first Waitr0se shop on Sunday and got to say I'm a bit disappointed in them..

My order was missing an item and my bread was crushed so I emailed them to get a refund and it's took them until today to get back to me :mad: now they've refunded £5.90 for bread and apples! They weren't apples made of gold!!

I guess it's disappointing because, with their reputation, you expect a better level of customer service than the other supermarkets. Maybe thinking I'd get at least a 24 hour turn around on queries was expecting too much.

I did feel a bit petty asking for a refund after they've given me a bottle of champagne for free :) but the delivery driver didn't do his job properly either really and I had to fill out a survey for it, so best to be honest so they can improve their Customer Service.

Money savings this week
    • couple of hours overtime today (25.5 hours racked up this month)
    • no grocery shop for the week, just need milk and tinfoil
    • 2 days petrol free as didn't go to work due to lurgy
    • 2 free (to me) magazines - xmas present subscriptions :T
    Money spending this week
    • £30 on alarm man to come out and reset the alarm - it had gone into panic mode or something and we didn't know the code to reset it
    • £1 to lottery syndicate at work - didn't win :(
    Have a good weekend xxx

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback