PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

how to clean net curtains

Comments

• cuddlymarm
    cuddlymarm Posts: 1,890 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Hi everyone

Would it be OK to wash my nets in vanish to get them clean. They are probably too old to get them as nice shade of white but I can't afford new and they are grotty due to next door being a building site for the last 18months. They have finally finished so its nowhere near as dusty so I'm going to have a go at cleaning them.
    (That sounds dreadful, I do clean, honestly.:eek: )

Any advice would be gratefully received.:rotfl:
    🎄December 🎄 NSDs 11/15
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    On "How clean is your house?" Kim washed really filthy net curtains by hand in a solution of hot water and soda crystals - the water was black!

Then she rinsed the curtains and squeezed them gently - hung outside on washine to dry and hung back up while slightly damp.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • cuddlymarm
    cuddlymarm Posts: 1,890 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Hi
    Thanks for that but at the moment I haven't got a bath (DS2 put his foot through it:eek: don't ask) and I haven't got soda crystals (but if I got some could I put them in the washing machine)

Probably the best thing would be to wash one set in vanish and hope for the best.
    🎄December 🎄 NSDs 11/15
  • Churchmouse
    Churchmouse Posts: 3,004 Forumite
    Yes you can certainly use soda crystals in the WM. Not very OS but I always use the optical curtain whitener. Glo white I think it is. Now when I was younger and poorer, I used to use a Recketts(?) blue bag. Don't think you can even get them nowadays, they were considered archaic when I used them.
    You never get a second chance to make a first impression.
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Could you not just use the kitchen sink and wash a few of the nets at a time?
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi cuddlymarm,

We have a couple of older threads that might help:

how to clean net curtains

Cleaning manky nets

I'll merge all the threads later to keep all the suggestions together.

Pink
  • Psykicpup
    Psykicpup Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I always wash my nets in the washing machine using a small amount of washing powder & no fabric conditioner on a very gentle/woolies wash & then hang them straight back at the windows to dry if they arn't drippy wet:T
    I THINK is a whole sentence, not a replacement for I Know

Supermarket Rebel No 19:T
  • babybe11
    babybe11 Posts: 146 Forumite
    hi all, i have been a lurker here for quite a while and love all the tips that are given by a really friendly bunch.i take part in the flylady challange and the grocery one but i dont post as i'm not around a few days at a time. my problem is that i live on a main road and have voile net curtains to the front of my house. they have become quite grubby over time and have gone from white to grey. does anyone know any how to get them back to white without resorting to expensive curtain cleaners which i have tried and dont seem to work.
    thanks in advance,
    :A Official Boots Tart :A

Too many loopholes, my brain hurts !!!!!!!!!

Tesco babe in training...:o
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi babybe,

This older thread may help:

Making voile/net curtains white the OS way?

I'll merge your thread with that one later to keep all the suggestions together.

Pink
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I use a trick my Gran used, denture tablets. Fill the bath with water, throw a few denture tablets in and the curtains and leave to soak, after a couple of hours I throw them in the washing maching, come out gleeming. Always hang when slightly damp.

In fact I use them for cleaning all kinds of things especially good on mugs and teapots
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure