PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Right of Way how to Extinguish the Easement

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    xylophone wrote: »

I don't see however that they have the right to damage your drive in using it for access and I should think that you could seek legal redress if they do?
    If the lane's surfacing is so poor that driving a Land Rover over it causes damage, then it needs repair, not a legal case.

Whether the neighbour has an obligation to contribute should be set out in the property's title documents. As bouicca says, without input from the OP, people are just guessing.
  • Thanks for all your comment... The gate with code that keeps changing sounds good...
    They have the right to drive over/down the drive but not to park. The Parking space is their land just opposite our door but off of the drive.
    Most of the case law that I've read online helps people get and keep their ROW but not much on how to extinguish the ROW... We will get legal advise and I will post again ...not holding out much hope but its worth a try.
  • Hilarious?
    The Public Highway Act 1980: Section 118, Section 5 (a) {Extiguish Public Right of Way} on the grounds that it is no longer needed......
  • Oh yeah... Section 116 of HA(1980) uses the words 'deemed to be unnecessary'
    Thx
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    unforeseen wrote: »
    There would be nothing stopping the neighbour wedging the gate open when he passes through and leaving it like that.

The dominant owner is under no obligation to close the gate.

A gate in itself is not considered a substantial interference but a locked gate may. It depends on the wording of the easement if it is for all people who need to access the cottages E.G. postman, milkman etc then a locked gate can be considered a substantial interference as they are unable to use the ROW.
    Thanks for all your comment... The gate with code that keeps changing sounds good...

No, it doesn't - unless you want to be on the wrong end of the law.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,623 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hilarious?
    The Public Highway Act 1980: Section 118, Section 5 (a) {Extiguish Public Right of Way} on the grounds that it is no longer needed......

As your neighbour is using it then it could be argued it is needed.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    It's not a PUBLIC Right of Way anyway.
  • As your neighbour is using it then it could be argued it is needed.
    Sorry I may have be misleading neighbours have a ROW over our drive and it appears tricky to extinguish that. The Public Highways Act (1980) Section 116/118 however allows public roads to extinguished if they aren't necessary and we think the use of our road is no longer necessary (as they have their own drive and a separate path)
    I know I cannot use the PHA but why is it so different Private - Public as the basic issue is the same?:)
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    They have the right to drive over/down the drive but not to park.

But does anyone else have the right to use the drive? Can the neighbours authorise others (e.g. delivery persons) to walk or drive over it?

TBH the more you make life difficult for the neighbours, the more you will convince them that you put a high value on the RoW.
  • bouicca21 wrote: »
    But does anyone else have the right to use the drive? Can the neighbours authorise others (e.g. delivery persons) to walk or drive over it?

TBH the more you make life difficult for the neighbours, the more you will convince them that you put a high value on the RoW.
    Only they and 'their successors' have a right to pass over the drive with or without horses, cattle carts, carriages, motor cars, and other vehicles' - the usual archaic blurb...but still valid today....
    We know that the ROW was set up at a time (1953) their driveway did not exist and that ROW was a necessity... I am trying to discover whether when they built the new drive ((2009) whether 'the necessity' was or can be removed???
    If I could write the law it would be and it appears to be so in the
    U.S. (Paine v Chandler 134, N.Y 385 (1892) but I realise that it may not be so here in Blightly as someone earlier said I need a good ROW Solicitor...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure