PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Thinking of getting a lodger

I'm considering getting a lodger for my spare bedroom. Having been a lodger myself a couple of times I'm very aware that it doesn't always go well. does anyone have any advice on attracting the right kind of lodger (i.e. reliable, trustworthy, respectful). I'm a single woman so my safety is also a priority.
Has anyone out there done this and it's worked out well? Any tips?
Thanks

Comments

• 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Sambashoes wrote: »
    Has anyone out there done this .... Any tips?
    yes, lots of people,
    use the search function,
    experiences have been shared countless times on here
  • Er, why the cocky reply? I've read way too many unnecessarily rude / arrogant replies on MSE forums, getting tired of it. I expect to leave a post without attracting arrogant answers. I didn't search as I was inbetween tasks and thought it was worth a bash.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Er, why the cocky reply? I've read way too many unnecessarily rude / arrogant replies on MSE forums, getting tired of it. I expect to leave a post without attracting arrogant answers. I didn't search as I was inbetween tasks and thought it was worth a bash.
    Maybe 00ec25 was also between tasks and thought it was 'worth a bash' suggesting you use the search function instead of have people type up their comments again?

I just searched this board for 'tips on getting a lodger' which returned 17 threads other than this one, in 1.86 seconds. No doubt there are other threads from using different keyword combinations or by not restricting yourself to this board alone. :)

Yes I know, you find this comment unnecessarily rude, cocky and arrogant.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,599 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    does anyone have any advice on attracting the right kind of lodger (i.e. reliable, trustworthy, respectful). I'm a single woman so my safety is also a priority.

Both my Sis and myself have used spareroom.com to find lodgers - Her first one turned out to be a chronic alcoholic with associated "issues". The next two have both been Mon-Fri on short term placements with local companies. All three have been females.

For my part, I got a couple who claimed to be in a stable, long term relationship. Stable is a long way off the mark... But things have settled down, and he is very quiet (she is currently elsewhere).

My advice - State in your advert "female preferred", go for short term lets initially (a mature student depending on your area), and/or Mon-Fri. Don't use craiglist or gumtree - The former seems to attract the really weird, and the latter get the remaining oddballs.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,874 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    FreeBear wrote: »
    My advice - State in your advert "female preferred", go for short term lets initially (a mature student depending on your area), and/or Mon-Fri. Don't use craiglist or gumtree - The former seems to attract the really weird, and the latter get the remaining oddballs.

There are other lodger websites. I have just had the one positive experience. I would like to do it again when my circumstances allow.
    Make sure you get the lodge you want, wait until you get a few responses. I am male, and I got a female lodger; it can work for some people.

https://blog.easyroommate.com/taking-in-a-lodger-better-read-our-top-tips/
  • I've had a few different lodgers in my house over the last few years. Like freebear I have used spareroom to find them. I always meet the lodgers in person, this can be done at the same time as showing them the room/house. I can generally get a good feel for them this way and if a couple can judge whether I'm happy with them living here.

I get a reference from their employer or if a student from a tutor. I follow them up and only contact through the work phone number google provides. I caught someone out doing this as the number they supplied wasn't for their boss (old boss after a firing) and was, I suspect, for a mate that would fib for them.

I always take a deposit, I've never actually made any deductions but I think the act of taking the deposit screens people who might be more likely to cause a problem.

Don't let anyone move in who you feel dodgy about!!!

There's plenty of guides and info available on here and online about how to go about it. I've generally found it a positive experience (the extra money doesn't go amiss either ! :)
  • FabFifty
    FabFifty Posts: 146 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I would suggest getting a Monday to Friday lodger, or a Mature Student lodger. My two Monday-Friday lodgers were on local short-term contracts and I only actually saw them Monday to Thursday evenings.
  • sitesafe
    sitesafe Posts: 544 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    FabFifty wrote: »
    I would suggest getting a Monday to Friday lodger, or a Mature Student lodger. My two Monday-Friday lodgers were on local short-term contracts and I only actually saw them Monday to Thursday evenings.

This is a great idea but depends on location - down in Devon I struggled to find M to F lodgers as it's not known as a place people commute to and return home at weekend. But if you're somewhere with good links to say London where wages are better then it's a great option as you still get your weekend privacy
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    * Lodgers: advice & links for landlords & lodgers
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    When I was looking for short term, 6 weeks initially, for a job placement in a UNI town there were loads of rooms, part shares, full houses/flats on the lists.

My wanted add(on spareroom) was a lot more productive than me trying places offered.

Those that responded to my adds were fairly good fit with the landlord and property, but the locations were wrong for my job(transport) and planned social habits(near the centre).

In the end I found somewhere through AirBnB.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure