PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

how to clean net curtains

Options
1235»

Comments

• Loufos
    Options
    Hi
    Like you I like to use the little blue block they come up so much better
    Just found on eBay and ordered them
    Hardware shop used to sell them but they've all gone now
    Go to the superstores and ask they look at you as if your mad
    So glad I found this site as I couldn't remember the name of them
    :j. :j. :j
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I always soak them in cold water for a bit to loosen up the dust first then chuck them in the washing machine ,its amazing how much grot gets stuck in them
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,588 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I was surprised to see a thread about net curtains then realised it's a very old one.

Is it still common to have net curtains? Is it perhaps a regional or generational thing?

I don't think anyone in my road has them. I'll have to go on one of my urban walks (aka being nosey;)) and check.
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    maman wrote: »
    I was surprised to see a thread about net curtains then realised it's a very old one.

Is it still common to have net curtains? Is it perhaps a regional or generational thing?

I don't think anyone in my road has them. I'll have to go on one of my urban walks (aka being nosey;)) and check.

I reckon they're going to make a comeback, as most of us who abandoned the things have got blinds that are probably beginning to need replacing at vast expense - or have got fed up with people peering in to see what you've got in the front room/aren't keen on keeping the house in almost darkness/have got annoyed with the rising fuel bills and will be going back to curtains to keep their homes warmer in winter.

Our most expensive blind's mechanism has given up the ghost and, as it's a bay window with awkward bits of house preventing a straight swap (plus they're a discontinued type and size), it's going to be much cheaper to put up some nets and curtains than it is to replace them - and on the days when I clean the windows, the local ne'er do wells seem to be magnetically attracted.

I've got privacy film on the front door (offcut, 49p with free postage), but the main window is, well, huge, which makes getting pieces large enough no cheaper with zero insulating properties.

At least I'm hoping they make a comeback...
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have a huge expanse of Windows at the front. I've never regretted the cost of installing privacy film.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,987 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 August 2018 at 8:57AM
    Options
    Jojo we have nets. The ones with a little curve in the bottom so it gives a good level of privacy but you can still see out when sitting on a sofa. Our front garden slopes down towards the house so you feel like people are able to have a good look in as they walk past.

If you're worried about seeming fuddy-duddy, just be all trendy and call them voiles instead........

BTW this is a necro posting dug up from 3 years ago.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• poppellerant
    poppellerant Posts: 1,936 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but this seems like my best bet of getting the right advice.

I've a couple pairs of net curtains going slightly yellow. I've read that denture tablets can work wonders, so have bought a tube of Steradent Active Plus (white tube, blue text on the bottom third) tablets from Poundland recently.

After reading online, for the best results I think these are the steps I should follow:
    1. Rinse the curtains in a bath of cold water.
    2. Wash with biological powder and oxy on a 40c wash in the washing machine.
    3. Soak in a shallow bath of warm water with four Steradent tablets for about 10 minutes
    4. Hang on the line to dry before ironing and hanging.
    I expect I will have missed something, doing something wrong or am listing in the wrong order. But this is why I am posting beforehand, so I can find out the best way.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure