old will

2»

Comments

• I have registered his death and have all death certificates. The estimated value is about 30.000 to 40.000
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,742 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If you are in England then the marriage revoked the will, if you are in Scotland will still stands.
  • Iam in England
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Iam in England
    In which case, Elsien posted some good links earlier in the thread.

(((hugs)))
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Yes I think I need to do that he had no money or bank accounts nor property. He had a few vehicles and tools and stuff like that.
    So why rock the boat?
  • Yorkshireman99
    Yorkshireman99 Posts: 5,470 Forumite
    elsien wrote: »
    Browntia, I don't think that's correct, unless the will was made in contemplation of marriage, is it?

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/experts/article-2409754/Is-true-getting-remarried-invalidates-will.html

You can enter a caveat against them trying to get probate.
    https://www.gov.uk/wills-probate-inheritance/stopping-a-grant-of-representation
    In England and Wales any will not containing a clause that contemplates marriage to a specific indivual and the marriage takes place is invalidated.
  • DairyQueen
    DairyQueen Posts: 1,822 Forumite
    Browntoa wrote: »
    Unless you can prove otherwise the will is valid

Sorry, but this is wrong. Marriage revokes a will unless it is 'made in contemplation' of the marriage.

OP: If the above condition does not apply then your husband died intestate. Here are the rules of intestacy.
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    You say he didn't really own anything...just a few cars, tools & stuff...but then estimate the estate as £30k to £40k.

Are his cars really worth that much....are they quite new, or classics?

Are his children under the assumption that he owned property etc. or do they really want his cars?

As said above, it sound like this mystery will would be invalidated by your marriage, so intestacy applies.
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    Both you and his children are newly bereaved and grief isn't known for making us all think straight. Instead of texting, how about ringing and actually speaking to each other, if that's an option?
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 17 May 2018 at 11:39AM
    Browntoa wrote: »
    Unless you can prove otherwise the will is valid

Do you own any property jointly ? If so it should pass direct to you if registered as "joint tenants" . If tenants in common then each of you owns a percentage which would be part of his estate.

This is incorrect.Marriage revokes any previous will. If OP's husband didn't make a new will after they married, then he will have died intestate, and OP is likely to inherit the whole of his estate, given that it is fairly small.

As your step daughter is not responding to your texts I would suggest that you write to her (and her siblings) explaining that the will she has is no longer valid, as it pre-dated your marriage, and that while you are sure that her actions to date have been based on a genuine error on her part, you want to make sure that she is aware of the true position and knows that the will is not valid and does not entitle her to take any further action in relation to her father's estate.

That way, you give her the chance to save face and limit any dispute, but you have made her aware of the true position. If the only assets are personal items of limited value you may not need letters of administration, but you may chose to apply to limit any further problems.

You could also consider writing to her and her siblings, summarising the position and what he has left, and (if you are willing to do so) asking whether there are any personal items they would like to remember him by, or offering specific items you think might be of sentimental value to them.

Again, this may help minimise any hostility or dispute, and let you feel that you have done your best in dealing with your lat husband's family, even if they have not behaved as well to you.

if you want your husband's ashes back then things get a bit more complicated and I would recommend that you look for a solicitor with expertise in contentious probate as a matter of urgency.

I'd also suggest that you ensure that you have notified any banks etc (in writing) that you are the widow and that any will dated before the date of your marriage is invalid. (keep a copy!)

Did your husband have any life insurance or pensions? Who is entitled to those will depend on circumstances as they don't automatically form part of his estate, but it would be sensible for you to contact any companies involved to find out what (if anything) you are entitled to. For instance, with a pension, you might be eligible for a widow's pension.

You've mentioned one step-child - how have the others reacted? Is it worth contacting them to discuss what's happened? They may be in a better position to address her behaviour than you are.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure