Gas central heating on constant or timer?

Options

Comments

• mech_2
    mech_2 Posts: 620 Forumite
    Options
    I agree, timer timer timer. But one of the simplest and most effective ways to save your heat and thus money has barely been touched upon. You need to insulate and effectively. Current regs for new builds require 270mm insulation in your loft/roofspace. Check what yours is and if it isn't that, get it.
    I've got 100mm and it honestly isn't cost-effective to add more. Even if I could put 170mm extra of insulation in my loft (which I can't) it would save me, what, 2% of my gas bill? That's £6 a year at present. If I can buy the insulation for £60 I break even in a decade. And then there's re-boarding the loft... oh dear.
    £150.00 should do about 30 sq. mtrs and summer sales coming you may find it a lot cheaper. If you have cavity walls and they are not insulated, get it done. Draught proof doors and windows. If you have a fireplace but never use a fire then get the chimney capped and vented and block up the flue. A lot of warm air is getting sucked out your room and straight outside. These are relatively cheap solutions and are going to look even cheaper with spiralling energy prices. Your home will have a more even temperature with fewer cold spots and over time will pay for itself far more rapidly than double glazing. So stop keeping the birds warm and jeep yourself warm instead.
    That's certainly true. Double glazing can never pay for itself in energy savings during its lifespan. Even if you believe the outrageously optimistic figures. It can only pay for itself in the increased value/saleability of the house.
  • mute_posting
    mute_posting Posts: 810 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    mech wrote: »
    I've got 100mm and it honestly isn't cost-effective to add more. Even if I could put 170mm extra of insulation in my loft (which I can't) it would save me, what, 2% of my gas bill? That's £6 a year at present. If I can buy the insulation for £60 I break even in a decade. And then there's re-boarding the loft... oh dear.

From that it would appear that you have a reletively small gas bill, but many people will pay more than that and will probably save more - certainly those heating with electric or oil or lpg will see bigger savings

Also conventional wisdom states insulating an un-insulated loft will save 20-30%, but I would say only 2% for adding en extra 170mm (to 100mm existing) is a little low - I'd expect 5 - 10% (Just an opinion)

Yes, it may take a decade at "todays" prices but the rate prices are rising could see this paid back much more quickly!
    :confused: I have a poll / discussion on Economy 7 / 10 off-peak usage (as a % or total) and ways to improve it but I'm not allowed to link to it so have a look on the gas/elec forum if you would like to vote or discuss.:cool:
  • mech_2
    Options
    Very true, my point was that the bean counters and energy centre at work have already crunched the numbers from the trial buildings and determined that there is a significant enough saving to make it worthwhile to pay myself and others to make the changes for the rest of the buildings.

I don't know about commercial properties, they may well be of a different typical construction. But the domestic UK housing stock is most often brick built and relatively small. The walls make up a large thermal mass relative to the size of the building. Do calculations for stored heat energy and compare it to the heating demand and you find what you have is a giant storage heater. 90something% of the heat is in the walls, 3% is in the air inside the house and it's only the temperature of the air that we really care about.

I discovered something interesting about my house when experimenting this past winter. When the heating goes off at night there's a 20-40 minute delay while the radiators give up their heat and after that the air temperature drops by about 1 degree C fairly rapidly (another 90 minutes?). That isn't the interesting bit. The interesting bit is that after that time the cooling slows dramatically. I'm not talking about exponential decay here, I'm talking about a sudden reduction to a very low rate of cooling.

My theory is that the first degree C or so of heat loss is due to ventilation (0.5 air changes per hour is not unreasonable) and soon after that, the fabric of the house starts warming internal air. In other words, when the heating is on the walls are cooler than the air in the house (because the air is the means of carrying the heat to them in the first place). When the heating is turned off, the walls become warmer than the air in the house (because the air is being replaced with cold air from outside) and the walls lose their heat more quickly with the heating turned off than when the heating is on (at least initially). This is 90-something% of the stored heat in the house remember. No wonder the savings are so small. Lost heat gets replaced again just a few hours later. Typically twice a day (as opposed to once a day in a commercial property.

Maybe the answer to getting savings is to not turn the heating on at all in the morning. But I wouldn't want to live with that in the winter. I'd have terrible trouble persuading myself to get out of bed into the nasty cold house.
    Doing this will usually have a negative effect on boiler efficiency which is why people are advised to run boilers on max for shorter periods of time.
    I don't agree. People keep saying that, but I can't understand how it could possibly be true. Even for non-condensing boilers. Systems with hot water reset rely on the opposite being the case.

The efficiency of a heat exchanger depends on the temperature difference across it. If the flue gases are 170 degrees C and the water temperature is 90 degrees C it's going to be less efficient than if the water temperature was 70 degrees C. There's nowhere else for the non-transferred heat to go other than up the flue. Add to that: increased heat loss pipes under suspended floors, higher localised warming of exterior walls where they have radiators, and increased overshoot of room temperature.

I can't see anything except potential savings from a lower water temperature.

http://www.rmcotton.com/_mod_files/ce_images/compeff2.jpg
  • mech_2
    Options
    From that it would appear that you have a relatively small gas bill, but many people will pay more than that and will probably save more - certainly those heating with electric or oil or lpg will see bigger savings
    I don't disagree, but any savings have to be put into perspective. For someone with twice the gas bill I have, the payback time is still 5 years (even if they don't need any more insulation that I would). And there's still the problem of boarding the loft afterwards if you want to store stuff up there.
    Also conventional wisdom states insulating an un-insulated loft will save 20-30%, but I would say only 2% for adding en extra 170mm (to 100mm existing) is a little low - I'd expect 5 - 10% (Just an opinion)
    I think conventional wisdom has been revised downwards in recent years. Possibly in partial response to studies like this one: http://eprints.ucl.ac.uk/2100/

The Energy Saving Trust's figures currently imply 15% for an uninsulated loft.

You really have to read between the lines to get a complete picture from their figures because they're really not keen on giving you the facts. However the implication is that the first 50mm saves 10%, and the next 220mm saves the other 5%. I've just extrapolated the figure for 100mm from assuming that the topmost 170mm saves less than half of the 5%. Less than half of 5% leaves me with an approximate 2% figure.

And I can't do it properly anyway, as the eaves of my house come down lower than the upstairs ceilings (on the inside) and there's only 100mm of clearance behind the plasterboard for 2 feet at the edges. So the savings would be less than less than half of 5% anyway. I think I'd be better off insulating my floors downstairs.
    Yes, it may take a decade at "todays" prices but the rate prices are rising could see this paid back much more quickly!

Yeah. Possibly. But what goes up can come down.
  • stevie2665
    Options
    to those who keep there heating on constantly why not keep your bath water running slowely all day so i doesnt go above the overflow,that way you wont need to use as much water to fill it when you get home!! will this save water...i think not!:rotfl:
  • tomstickland
    tomstickland Posts: 19,538 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    mech wrote: »
    That's why some hard figures are needed. At the moment it's all conjecture. Do they save 1% or 20%?
    It's not conjecture. The rules of heat flow are universally accepted.
    Let's say it saves 8% to have the heating on only in the morning and evening. You can save 10% by turning the thermostat down 1 degree (so they say), so if you can get away with turning down the thermostat by 1 degree when the heating's on constantly (due to fewer cold draughts because the walls aren't colder than the air in the house)
    The walls would be warmed because heat would had been used keeping their temperature up.
    [/quote]
    Happy chappy
  • tomstickland
    tomstickland Posts: 19,538 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm going to do some temperature logging with some low mass air temperature probes when winter sets in. I'm quite interested in the house as storage heater analogy.
    Happy chappy
  • markbloke
    Options
    This argument is old as the hills and the case for using a timer is easy to demonstrate by the old trick of taking the case to extremes.
    Imagine you heat a house to a nice temperature and then leave the heating on for a million years. That would cost quite a bit.
    Imagine heating the same house to the same temperature, turning the heating off at the end of the day and then warming it back up a million years later. It would cost less. There's no escaping it.
    Reading this signature is a waste of time
  • mech_2
    Options
    It's not conjecture. The rules of heat flow are universally accepted.
    Not in this case. You are assuming the house is a solid object and that heat flow through the walls is the only mechanism for heat loss. You are also assuming that comfort levels perceived by the occupants is an accurate measure of overall air temperature. That isn't an accurate model and I haven't read any studies that attempt to measure relative costs.

If a house stores most of its heat energy in solid surfaces (which they do tend to) and walls don't warm up quickly (which they don't) and cold surfaces produce cold draughts when the house is being heated (which they also seem to), it's quite likely that people will want a higher thermostat setting. Without knowing how much this effect affects consumption it's difficult to know what is best without guessing. That's where the conjecture comes into play.
    The walls would be warmed because heat would had been used keeping their temperature up.
    I don't understand that sentence. Walls will cool with the heating off. Slowly, but they will cool. Subjective comfort levels are sensitive to air just a couple of degrees cooler than ideal. The walls will warm up as slowly as they cooled. The air will warm up quickly due to convective mixing, but the walls will create streams of cooler air as it passes over them.
  • mech_2
    Options
    markbloke wrote: »
    This argument is old as the hills and the case for using a timer is easy to demonstrate by the old trick of taking the case to extremes.
    Imagine you heat a house to a nice temperature and then leave the heating on for a million years. That would cost quite a bit.
    Imagine heating the same house to the same temperature, turning the heating off at the end of the day and then warming it back up a million years later. It would cost less. There's no escaping it.

A house would cool to background temperatures in a million years. It won't do that overnight. Take it to the other extreme. If I turn the heating off for 1 second do I save any energy? If I turn the heating off and on again every second for a million years does it use less energy than having the heating on for a million years? How about every minute? Every 10 minutes? Every hour? Every 10 hours? Where's the point where savings start to be measurable over a normal heating season? No one that I can find has measured it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure