PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Are Persimmon really as bad as the web reviews???

Comments

• I've bought a Persimmon house in the past and wasn't impressed with the quality and finish. And the snagging wasn't easy to get seen to. The room sizes weren't great either but all that may vary by site.

I am now in a Bellway home which is much better in all aspects. If I was to ever get a new build again I'd pay much more to go with a Bellway over a Persimmon as they'd probably be my last choice
  • Who is it that you employ or go through to check for all the snagging issues?

Can you let them go to work the day you get the keys?

There should be tougher laws on this for buyers, it's not as if it's a piece of furniture or a stereo which you can hand back if faulty
  • nikkih72
    nikkih72 Posts: 64 Forumite
    edited 3 September 2017 at 5:51PM
    You will always find bad reviews,,, people who are happy don't bother bragging about it,, you only get the negatives,, and be it Barrats, persimmons, David Wilson they will all have bad reviews, as stated previously no-one puts good on the internet,,, best advise, is go to the area you are looking at, and knock on some doors and ask questions,,, we joined the Facebook group of the estate we were purchasing on with Persimmons and asked questions, so far so good :)
  • I've bought a Persimmon house in the past and wasn't impressed with the quality and finish.. The room sizes weren't great either but all that may vary by site.

You can upgrade to get the best !
    You knew the sizes of the rooms from the plans before you purchased , so why moan ?

We have bought Persimmons and are really happy ,, there are unhappy customers with every company, you don't hear of the good ones only the problems,
  • caeler
    caeler Posts: 2,605 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I've on my 2nd persimmon home (via Charles Church) and I'm happy! There will always be bad stories. I had snagging issues but generally the Site Manager cooperated well, I had to nag on a few of the issues but everything got done.
  • I've just bought a David Wilson new build next door to a Persimmon estate -literally half way down my street the DW development ends a Persimmon begins. I can't stress enough how much I'd discourage you from buying Persimmon. Unlike DW their site has no play area/green spaces, very narrow roads with not enough parking, their side of the street floods in poor weather. My Persimmon neighbours can't park in their garages as they weren't build to the specified size on the plans - I actually heard one of their sales people say they 'wouldn't be quoted' on the measurements in their own plans!! The finish on the road and pavement is very poor, raised drains (due to lack of tarmac/finish) and that's without mentioning some of the horror stories my new neighbours have told me about their personal experiences with gardens flooding into the house, wonky walls, awful customer service.
  • wymondham
    wymondham Posts: 6,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Mortgage-free Glee!
    When buying 'new', be the second one in rather than first, that way someone else has been through the pain. The quality you'll get will be very regional as developers all subcontract, so it depends on the quality of the locals and how good the site manager is!
  • nikkih72 wrote: »
    You can upgrade to get the best !
    You knew the sizes of the rooms from the plans before you purchased , so why moan ?

We have bought Persimmons and are really happy ,, there are unhappy customers with every company, you don't hear of the good ones only the problems,

So because you can spend more money you can get something better so you aren't allowed to bring it up as a negative? In that case nobody can ever complain about any house as you can always pay more to get a bigger or better quality one

It is about value for money and the finish and quality was not what it should be for what we paid
  • We have just reserved a 3 bed in East Midlands. One thing we forgot to mention, we assumed it would be in was the fencing in the back garden. Is this classed as standard or it is an extra you pay for?
  • Tygermoth
    Tygermoth Posts: 1,413 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 6 January 2018 at 10:04AM
    This thread popped up and i noticed that i had commented previously. So i thought i would update from my lovely new house...... but not the one i was buying from Persimmons.

The planning permission issue stalled the build of the row of houses on the incline for months and months. During this time the site manager, sales advisors and key staff all left - all these guys were excellent, helpful and actively worked with the owners of the affected row of houses - we had regular meetings, updates and site visits. The site manager on the day he left, who we had built up a great relationship with, basically took me aside and told me the estate was going to become a horror story and we should run for the hills.

I realised almost immediately the new site manager and I were not going to get on when he blatantly lied to me about a feature of the build the very first time he met me - then tried to backtrack and told me i was confused and got his meaning wrong when called on it.

The second time he shamelessly BS me we withdrew from the sale. (they refunded us everything and comped us too) There were so many issues with the house - which at this point was still only built up to the first floor window sills - and we totally trusted the first dude to ensure that things would be put right. Second dude was very obviously just going to lie, flim flam and bully it through.

I did a drive by a few weeks ago as the houses have only just been finished and the final product doesn't even resemble what we originally signed up for. The house had a porch, garage and drive - which are now not there to allow for a retaining set of walls to cope with the incline - the front door opens into the road - no path - windows and doors have been moved giving it a lopsided look. It's not aesthetically pleasing at all. I have no clue where the owners park - there is no spot that they can without a drive.

I really really want to knock on the door and ask to see the house lol

(oh and to the poster above - never assume anything - everything is an extra - patio - grass - fencing - outdoor lighting - always check - always get in writing!)
    Please note I have a cognitive disability - as such my wording can be a bit off, muddled, misspelt or in some cases i can miss out some words totally...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback