Insurance question help!!!!

Hello everyone, I’m new here and was wondering if anyone could help me?

Just after new year I had another car crash into the back of me, after a lot of phone calls etc with insurance I managed to get it fixed through one of their garages. However I’m still having problems with them trying to claim back the money I’m owed as the other persons insurance aren’t replying so "they don’t know who’s liable for the crash" I also had to get an enterprise rental for a few days as they didn’t have a courtesy car straight away which cost me roughly £400.

My problem now is that my insurance is up for renewal and I would like to change because the way my current insurers dealt with this problem is shocking. But I still have this open case?

Can I switch an carry on with this claim or would it get scrapped if I went elsewhere?

I don’t really know what to do.

Any advice is appreciated

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    You can move insurer without affecting the claim being dealt with

Regarding your claim - are you awaiting the reimbursement to yourself of your uninsured losses (car hire/excess etc)?

If so they are down to you to pursue the third party over rather than your insurer. If you have "legal cover" with your policy use that otherwise DIY
  • FutureGirl
    FutureGirl Posts: 1,252 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Sounds as if your insurer has sent allegations to the third party insurers and they haven't responded... which also means that the other insurer hasn't actually admitted liability for the accident. Until they do, it'll go down as a fault claim on your policy if you've claimed for your damage.

If you need to claim for uninsured losses you'll need to either use your motor legal cover if you pay extra for this, or go to the third party insurer directly.
  • huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Speak to new Insurers before taking out policy, to alert them to the claim being still open waiting for full settlement and the fault status to be decided.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure