I got a cifas marker

Recently I made a very stupid decision of giving my bank details and bank card to someone to deposit money in not knowing his real intentions. I breached the policy of the bank by giving out my details but I didn't know it was going to involve fraud. I kept contacting the person and he kept saying next week you would get your card back next week. The person told me to report the card lost so I did. When I went to the branch I got told that my card has been blocked and my account was under review. A few days later I got a letter from Barclays saying they closed my account for breaching their policies And they were not willing to offer me anymore services. So I went to Santander to open a new account a few days later got a letter saying that my application has been refused because I have a cifas marker on my name. I know it came from Barclays because that is the only bank I was dealing with. The question is how long would the cifas marker last and how will I get this removed. I only breached their policies everything else that the guy was doing was out of my control.

Comments

• ceredigion
    ceredigion Posts: 3,709
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    6 years
  • s516224
    s516224 Posts: 38 Forumite
    I'm innocent of any fraud so how can I get this removed
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 22 April 2017 at 10:27PM
    Silast5 wrote: »
    Recently I made a very stupid decision of giving my bank details and bank card to someone to deposit money in not knowing his real intentions. I breached the policy of the bank by giving out my details but I didn't know it was going to involve fraud. I kept contacting the person and he kept saying next week you would get your card back next week. The person told me to report the card lost so I did. When I went to the branch I got told that my card has been blocked and my account was under review. A few days later I got a letter from Barclays saying they closed my account for breaching their policies And they were not willing to offer me anymore services. So I went to Santander to open a new account a few days later got a letter saying that my application has been refused because I have a cifas marker on my name. I know it came from Barclays because that is the only bank I was dealing with. The question is how long would the cifas marker last and how will I get this removed. I only breached their policies everything else that the guy was doing was out of my control.

Did you or did you not give your card to someone ?

Why did you not just cancel the card as lost and get a new 1 or get the money directly from said person.

How did Barclays find out you broke the rules ?

Not sire how you can claim you were innocent in this.
  • Arleen
    Arleen Posts: 1,164
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 22 April 2017 at 10:29PM
    So you gave someone your details, and your card and you didn't get paid for it (or promised to get paid)? Or did you figure out that adding this part to the story would somehow hurt your credibility?

You took part in some fraud, most likely money laundering or withdrawal of funds stolen elsewhere. If you are as innocent as you claim, go to the police. Though if that was the case, you would likely go to the police the moment that person refused to return you your card. Right?

So make sure that you are as innocent as you claim before you do, as otherwise, the consequences can be more severe than a cifas marker. And if you agreed to get money for letting that person use your bank account, as this is how it works, you are not innocent.
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Did you or did you not give your card to someone ?

Why did you not just cancel the card as lost and get a new 1 or get the money directly from said person.

How did Barclays find out you broke the rules ?
    Most likely police traced his account as the one receiving money from something very illegal so they cut the cord. Fairly standard procedure. Or he told them what he did - giving control of his personal account to someone else, which is also a breach of terms and cancellation, but then they wouldn't follow with a marker.
  • s516224
    I have text messages of me and the guy talking and me asking what he is trying to do with my account
  • s516224
    He told me he was going deposit from his savers card
  • Arleen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    And yet you didn't answer my one question - were you paid, or promised to be paid for doing that "service"?
  • s516224
    Also all I did was breached the banks policies the only fraud that I imagine happened what account or credit fraud which may not be caused by me
  • s516224
    No I didn't get the money from him but I'm not concerned about that I'm concerned about being on the fraud register for some thing I did not do
  • Arleen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    No I didn't get the money from him but I'm not concerned about that I'm concerned about being on the fraud register for some thing I did not do
    But you were promised to get money from him, right? That is why you are "not concerned about that" rather than being outraged at my insolent question?

Enjoy your lesson in the crime doesn't pay. You will have six years without any credit products and with limited job opportunities to reconsider your life priorities for the future because that is how long the fraud marker will hang over your head.
    If of course you are innocent, head to the police first thing in the morning and clear your name. But you won't do that, for the same reason you didn't report the card as stolen with the police - you knew it was a dirty business you got yourself involved with. But hey, it's easy money, right?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure