Grants for new boiler

Comments

• margaretclare - remember that the next person to come and look at your boiler will be from the company that will be doing the work (and making money from it) so it will certainly be worth your while to emphasise your desire to have a new boiler and perhaps highlighting the 'unreliability' of the current one - our boiler is 25 years old - still works but the chap from the fitters pronounced it as 'too old to repair' and we are now awaiting (hopefully!!) a new one.
  • Looks like things are getting sorted out slowly but surely, and I'd be really greatful if could you explain this
    as I'm sitting in front of my back boiler right now and haven't heard from anywhere/anyone that it's illegal. Thanks

Don't think they are illegal Dora as they are still on sale here but pretty expensive.
    http://www.heatandplumb.com/acatalog/Baxi-Bermuda-Outset-Range.html
  • Skiduck
    Skiduck Posts: 1,973 Forumite
    Don't think they are illegal Dora as they are still on sale here but pretty expensive.
    http://www.heatandplumb.com/acatalog/Baxi-Bermuda-Outset-Range.html

they are not illegal, new condensing back boilers are in production. You can still install a non condensing back boiler if it means the building regs criterea. The only downside is the installation costs. this include a possible chimney liner renewal - you may find that anyone quoting a new installation of these boilers will put a proviso to include scaffolding in case of a latent defect in the existing chimney liner.

IMHO, replacing a back boiler is not worth it, block the chimney up - have a new plasma fire in there and get a boiler, probably for less than replacing the back boiler.
  • Skiduck, what's a plasma fire?

Margaret
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • Skiduck wrote:
    they are not illegal, new condensing back boilers are in production. You can still install a non condensing back boiler if it means the building regs criterea. The only downside is the installation costs. this include a possible chimney liner renewal - you may find that anyone quoting a new installation of these boilers will put a proviso to include scaffolding in case of a latent defect in the existing chimney liner.

IMHO, replacing a back boiler is not worth it, block the chimney up - have a new plasma fire in there and get a boiler, probably for less than replacing the back boiler.

Don't know why you quote me in your post. I'm not recomending back boilers, just reassuring Dora that she has nothing illegal.
  • Skiduck, what's a plasma fire?

Margaret

Margaret, plasma gas fires are flueless focal point (some would say ultra modern) fires.
    https://secure.visav.co.uk/shop4fires/products.asp?sword=Plasma&page=&showitem=2889
  • All of the new stuff arrived yesterday for the fitters who come next Wednesday and Thursday to fit my new condensing boiler. I am so far very pleased with the efficiantcy of the company.It is called Dawsetway and they have been quite helpful so far. Fingers crossed that all will be well next week.
    Watch this space !!
  • Lady_K
    Lady_K Posts: 4,429
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I applied for this although I'm not over 60 (47) but on a dissability premium. The assesor came round to look over the house but he did not examine the boiler just put repair needed. Its 18 years old a combination boiler and the water is working heating isnt.

What will happen next? I've recieved a letter from Kershaws Insulation saying I will recieve a letter from eaga advising that the order has been issued to Kershaws. Will someone come to inspect the boiler? obviously I'm hoping they will just replace it rather than repair seeing as its so old. The warmfront inspector just put boiler repair, insulation to front and back doors and energy saving light bulbs. I'm wondering if Kershaws are just for the insulation or the boiler repair too has anyone had any experience of them?

I also see they are based in cambridge, I'm in Nottingham it seems a long way for them to come for this
    Thanx

Lady_K
  • I applied for a warm front grant as I am on WTC, I have been approved for a grant of £2700 with an excess of £1028 to pay as we have no gas to the house.
    I telephoned my local council to enquire whether they have a scheme in place for paying the excess, they sent me a claim form in the post the next day and a week later I have received a letter stating that they will pay the excess
    I have found warm front to be very helpful I would never of known that local authorities had funds in place for this sort of thing if warm front had not informed me
  • Lady_K wrote:
    I applied for this although I'm not over 60 (47) but on a dissability premium. The assesor came round to look over the house but he did not examine the boiler just put repair needed. Its 18 years old a combination boiler and the water is working heating isnt.

What will happen next? I've recieved a letter from Kershaws Insulation saying I will recieve a letter from eaga advising that the order has been issued to Kershaws. Will someone come to inspect the boiler? obviously I'm hoping they will just replace it rather than repair seeing as its so old. The warmfront inspector just put boiler repair, insulation to front and back doors and energy saving light bulbs. I'm wondering if Kershaws are just for the insulation or the boiler repair too has anyone had any experience of them?

No, judging on my experience (see lengthy saga above) I would guess that Kershaws are the installer, the firm that has 'accepted the work', as the lady on the WarmFront helpline puts it.

You'll get your energy-saving light-bulbs separately, delivered by someone in a small local delivery van.

Like you, we were only put down for 'heating repair' and depending on who we talk to, whether the moon is in the seventh house and Jupiter aligns with Mars, we may get the back-boiler heating controls repaired or we may get the new boiler installed when and where we want it to be!
    I also see they are based in Cambridge, I'm in Nottingham it seems a long way for them to come for this

Same with us - Royston, Herts is a heck of a distance from the Southend area and we are surrounded by installers any of whom could do the job for us.

Skiduck, I've had a look at the plasma fires. And I think it would be a waste of time, money and effort. We have a small gas-fire which is part of the whole back-boiler complex. We hardly ever use the fire - we used it once last winter during a very cold snap. This is a 1930s bungalow and what we have now looks 'in keeping' with the style of building.

What we need is for the back boiler to be drained down, disconnected from gas, water and electricity and rendered inoperative, but stay exactly where it is, in the space behind the fireplace. We need the present gas-fire to stay where it is and to be usable on the rare occasions we ever need it. It also provides a focal point and fits in with the style and age of the building. We have the original 1930s tiled fireplace, the tiles are sort of amber colour and look OK with the pale-green carpet and green walls.

Next door, the young couple who moved in have ripped out their entire fireplace, there's just a hole there now, and they've sanded the floorboards - that's what they wanted but it's not what we would want. Ours looks OK as it is.

Margaret
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport