customs theifs

I sold a brand new dng watch on ebay, winner was a bulgarian, i sent the watch.

3 months later i finally got in touch with someone at royal mail, they told me it had been returned by the bulgarian government as sending watching is restricted.

I got the package back, it has been opened and the watch had been removed. along with a letter from the rouyal mail saying that basically as i had sent an item to a country without checki ng the importation guidelines for the country it was my own fault.

i purchased extra insurance and toild the woman in the post office what was in the box.

So im down a £250 watch and i had to refund the money via paypal to the winner of the auction.

Is there anyway i can get my watach back from the bulgarian government?
are the royal mail at fault in anyway?
can i claim my money back from paypal on the grounds that the buyer should have checked his countries regulations?
should the royal mail assist me, in getting my watch back?

any help would be great.:mad::mad:

Comments

• Art_2
    Art_2 Posts: 1,602 Forumite
    jw00081 wrote: »
    I sold a brand new dng watch on ebay, winner was a bulgarian, i sent the watch.

3 months later i finally got in touch with someone at royal mail, they told me it had been returned by the bulgarian government as sending watching is restricted.

I got the package back, it has been opened and the watch had been removed. along with a letter from the rouyal mail saying that basically as i had sent an item to a country without checki ng the importation guidelines for the country it was my own fault.

i purchased extra insurance and toild the woman in the post office what was in the box.

So im down a £250 watch and i had to refund the money via paypal to the winner of the auction.

Is there anyway i can get my watach back from the bulgarian government?
    are the royal mail at fault in anyway?
    can i claim my money back from paypal on the grounds that the buyer should have checked his countries regulations?
    should the royal mail assist me, in getting my watch back?

any help would be great.:mad::mad:

I would pursue Royal mail on this and see if they change their mind and pay up. Failing that there is nothing else you can do. You should have checked before sending the watch. You will find it impossible to get recourse from the Bulgarians and PayPal are not responsible for the situation.

Regards,
    Art.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,184 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Also I would seriously question the fact that you allowed overseas bidders on such an expensive item without fully appreciating the risks. It really is best for high end items that are 'scammable' to stick to UK bidders only. I realise it doesn't help at all now, but don't let it happen on future auctions, protect yourself:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/sell/buyer-requirements.html

Start from here to set buyer requirements to exclude overseas bidders or bidders with NPB strikes etc.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    i think you will struggle with this
    if RM got it to the bulgarian customs and they seized the goods then thats all they could really do
  • bcl999
    bcl999 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    Bulgaria is in the EU so why is the importation of watches banned?
  • Brooker_Dave
    Brooker_Dave Posts: 5,196 Forumite
    bcl999 wrote: »

And why do all the people at the Bulgarian customs dept all have such nice watches?
    "Love you Dave Brooker! x"

"i sent a letter headded sales of god act 1979"
  • custardy

remember even though they are in the EU they can still have their customs rules
    a good example is weapons
    in many EU countries you can import knives,swords etc
    you will strugglie with UK customs with many of these items
  • bcl999
    bcl999 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    custardy wrote: »
    remember even though they are in the EU they can still have their customs rules
    a good example is weapons
    in many EU countries you can import knives,swords etc
    you will strugglie with UK customs with many of these items

A watch is an offensive weapon in Bulgaria???
  • Bamber19
    Bamber19 Posts: 2,264 Forumite
    A watch is an offensive weapon in Bulgaria???

..No, his pont is that just because they are a member of the EU does not mean they are not entitled to restrict imports of items, provided the reason for restricting import isn't contrary to EU law (for example, to give advantages to Bulgarian watchmakers over other EU watchmakers) They msut have a reason.
    Bought, not Brought
  • xdaisyx
    xdaisyx Posts: 485 Forumite
    a better example would be cigarettes, you can buy them and bring them back, however post them into the uk from the EU and they will/should be seized by uk customs, watches just aren't allowed to bulgaria :confused:
  • custardy
    customs dont seize cigarettes,they just charge duty on them
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business