BEVs deals and information

Comments

• Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Cheers Joe.

Totally agree about Tesla v's the old guard, but I can hardly blame them trying to cling on to a product/lifestyle that has made them a lot of money.

Be it BEV's TAAS, leccy buses, government schemes, or whatever, the next decade is going to be a total bloodbath for the old guard.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • mmmmikey
    mmmmikey Posts: 1,638 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    A little bit of an aside, but now is an excellent time to by and ICE car if you're in the market for one - the dealers are almost giving them away. I looked at a nearly new Astra Estate that was well priced, but before I bought it made a cheeky offer to another dealer - if you can match the price for a new version of the same car I'll buy it. And after a bit of toing and froing they did, represnting a discount of about 25% and I got a decent PX value for the old car as well. Wish it had been a BEV but not really an option for me yet because of towing limits.
  • JKenH
    JKenH Posts: 4,792 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    mmmmikey wrote: »
    A little bit of an aside, but now is an excellent time to by and ICE car if you're in the market for one - the dealers are almost giving them away. I looked at a nearly new Astra Estate that was well priced, but before I bought it made a cheeky offer to another dealer - if you can match the price for a new version of the same car I'll buy it. And after a bit of toing and froing they did, represnting a discount of about 25% and I got a decent PX value for the old car as well. Wish it had been a BEV but not really an option for me yet because of towing limits.

I think that is the case for a lot of people (including me). We want to buy an EV but for different reasons there isn’t one yet that ticks every box. The range of cars available is just too limited - where are all the estates, 4x4s, open top sports cars, city cars, small family cars? There might be the odd manufacturer building them but there is a lack of choice. The electric car has become a sector of its own, as even Tesla are finding, losing sales of the S and X to the 3 - cars that would traditionally be seen as in different sectors.
    Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps, ex Nissan Leaf owner)
  • GreatApe
    GreatApe Posts: 4,452 Forumite
    JKenH wrote: »
    I think that is the case for a lot of people (including me). We want to buy an EV but for different reasons there isn’t one yet that ticks every box. The range of cars available is just too limited - where are all the estates, 4x4s, open top sports cars, city cars, small family cars? There might be the odd manufacturer building them but there is a lack of choice. The electric car has become a sector of its own, as even Tesla are finding, losing sales of the S and X to the 3 - cars that would traditionally be seen as in different sectors.

Give it time, BEVs are still small scale
    I can see BEVs replacing diesels soon enough but not petrol for a while yet

I guess currently it makes sense to choose a tech depending on mileage
    Petrol sub 8,000 miles
    Diesel 12,000 miles
    Electric 15,000 miles
    With some overlap

Petrol being the cheapest to purchase but more expensive per mile
    Diesel more expensive but per mile cheaper
    Electric most expensive but per mile cheaper still

I don't know if it's true or just internet 'fact' but lots of people seem to be saying new diesels won't last very long as the regs are too strict the manufacturers have not been able to build build long lasting engines. Could be nonsense but even the rumour puts me off diesels. Old diesels were pretty good I had a diesel car that hit 250,000 miles with no engine problems whatsoever
  • mmmmikey
    mmmmikey Posts: 1,638 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    GreatApe wrote: »
    Give it time, BEVs are still small scale
    I can see BEVs replacing diesels soon enough but not petrol for a while yet

I guess currently it makes sense to choose a tech depending on mileage
    Petrol sub 8,000 miles
    Diesel 12,000 miles
    Electric 15,000 miles
    With some overlap

Petrol being the cheapest to purchase but more expensive per mile
    Diesel more expensive but per mile cheaper
    Electric most expensive but per mile cheaper still

I don't know if it's true or just internet 'fact' but lots of people seem to be saying new diesels won't last very long as the regs are too strict the manufacturers have not been able to build build long lasting engines. Could be nonsense but even the rumour puts me off diesels. Old diesels were pretty good I had a diesel car that hit 250,000 miles with no engine problems whatsoever

I agree with everything you say here - it's exactly that logic that has lead me to buy a petrol engined car for the first time in years (decades?) instead of a diesel. I'm hoping that in 3 to 5 years time when I start to think about changing again a BEV will be a viable option for a low mileage user with a caravan. I'm certainly hopeful, but who knows....
  • Solarchaser
    Solarchaser Posts: 1,663 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I think tbh unless you are buying a tesla, then the categories are wrong.
    Up to 8k miles
    Bev or petrol
    8-12k miles
    Petrol or deisel
    12k+ miles
    Diesel

Why? Mileage anxiety for Electric cars.

My company deisel car will do 800 miles on a tank, there is no electric car can compete.
    And the charging network isn't there yet.

As regards the co2 for running old ice cars, does it take into account the oil changes, engine parts like starter motors, alternators water pumps etc that have to be replaced on an aging ice car, that are not present on a new ev.
    What about suspension components, and brake parts, metal plates to replace the rusted ones, yes they need to be replaced, though less often on an EV, but they dont need replaced on a new car.

Before the ev I have now, I had a 10 year old ice car, which I had to rebuild the engine on as it jumped the timing belt, do the new valves, gaskets, timing belt, tooling etc get counted in the co2?
    I also had to replace two suspension arms, a couple of drop links and a couple of shockers, is this counted in the old ice car co2?

It's one of those things, that you could really go down a rabbit hole with.

Finally I dont have an oil tank, so your quote that has me is wrong ape, it should be Joe, not me.
    West central Scotland
    4kw sse since 2014 and 6.6kw wsw / ene split since 2019
    24kwh leaf, 75Kwh Tesla and Lux 3600 with 60Kwh storage
  • Hexane
    Hexane Posts: 520 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    GreatApe wrote: »
    I too have regarded post-dieselgate diesels as a suspicious compromise... the idea of carrying round an entire additional tankful of additive, seems like a descent into madness. Of course, we now know, and most of us accept, that pre-dieselgate diesels driving round without such tacked-on modifications, were actually causing horrendous localised air quality pollution that will have contributed to deaths.
    7.25 kWp PV system (4.1kW WSW & 3.15kW ENE), Solis inverter, myenergi eddi & harvi for energy diversion to immersion heater. myenergi hub for Virtual Power Plant demand-side response trial.
  • ABrass
    ABrass Posts: 1,002 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    The more miles you do the better electric cars work out. The question is how predictable your milage will be. If you've got a 100 mile daily round trip commute then a Hyundai ioniq or Nissan leaf will be plenty and you'd save a fortune in fuel costs. Further is possible if you've got a charger at the middle.

The inverse is also true. If you do piddling miles then a petrol car is going to be much cheaper and probably greener.
    8kW (4kW WNW, 4kW SSE) 6kW inverter. 6.5kWh battery.
  • EricMears
    EricMears Posts: 3,232 Forumite
    Hexane wrote: »
    ... the idea of carrying round an entire additional tankful of additive, seems like a descent into madness.
    That makes it sound as though the 'tank' was similar in size to the fuel tank ! It's actually only a litre or two.
    NE Derbyshire.4kWp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).24kWh of Pylontech batteries with Lux controller BEV : Hyundai Ioniq5
  • JKenH
    JKenH Posts: 4,792 Forumite
    An article in the Telegraph predicts the end of the road for cheap car loans. The Guardian were predicting the crisis 2 years ago. I always paid cash for my cars until I bought my Golf in May 2018 when the PCP deal was just too good not to take. I wasn’t asked for any proof of income. Another misspelling scandal looms but the impact on the motor industry will be huge if PCP and PCH is killed off.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2019/10/05/end-road-cheap-car-loans-crisis-looms/
    Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps, ex Nissan Leaf owner)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback