Options

Comments

• annie12
    annie12 Posts: 789 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 24 February 2012 at 10:25PM
    Options
    josie1256 wrote: »
    I am looking for insurance for my son 17 to be insured for our Corsa 2008 the cheapest I have found is Direct Line £1269.88 fully comp but would have to pay over £120 to protect my husbands NCD.

I'd say that's excellent!! I wish we could get it that cheap!!
    Have you tried all the comparison sites? Another one is Crosby Insurance Brokers, they do a young driver policy. :)

Sorry, I'm assuming he's passed his test. If he's a learner there is Collingwood & other companies do learner policies if they're driving their parent's car.
  • josie1256
    Options
    annie12 wrote: »
    I'd say that's excellent!! I wish we could get it that cheap!!
    Have you tried all the comparison sites? Another one is Crosby Insurance Brokers, they do a young driver policy. :)

Sorry, I'm assuming he's passed his test. If he's a learner there is Collingwood & other companies do learner policies if they're driving their parent's car.

Yes he has passed, will have a look at Crosby. He is going to complete his pass plus so hoping for a further discount.
  • MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just though I'd let you know my views of the Co-op Young Driver insurance...

I'm 23, been driving 5 years and have 1.2 corsa. I went with Co-op young driver insurance beginging of december 2011. I was a named driver on my mums co-op insurance last year. Decided to go on my own policy with my mum as anamed driver.

-snip-

I recieved an email this weekend, the premiums have gone up from £49 a month to £130 a month!!! again, phoned to ask why, was told the proof of no claims could not be accepted because they were from a different insurance company? i told them we were with co-op the previous year but they said because we went through a compare site it didnt count, it wasnt proved by co-op, despite the NCD proof being on co-op headed paper??? I was put through to the team leader who just repeated they can only accept co-op NCD, no other insurance company.
    Which part of this wording on their website:
    Ask your named drivers to call our Customer Contact Centre on 08457 46 46 46.
    isn't clear?

Named driver NCD is a privilege, not a right. If Co-op want to restrict it to telephone sales, rather than comparison site sales where they are paying the comparison site £100 or so, why shouldn't they?
  • mildred1978
    mildred1978 Posts: 3,367 Forumite
    Options
    I posted this in the other young driver's thread on Wednesday.

I have just paid £4000 for 17 year old son with the Coop youn drivers policy. He is restricted to 2000 miles, no driving between 11pm & 6am, 11-20 hours per week & no passengers after 6pm. It's the only way we could afford it, every other policy was over £8000!

He does get discounts for good driving & as I will be driving the car too, I'd better drive very carefully! :D

And not very far!! 2000 miles a year? That's less than 40 per week! Would love to know how he's going to make that last 11-20 hours per week!
    Science adjusts its views based on what's observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation, so that belief can be preserved.
    :A Tim Minchin :A
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I cant find anything on the website to say young driver only allowed to do 2000 miles but older drivers are allowed to use the car and do more. Too easy to abuse that system.

I have a feeling as soon as they get past 2000 miles with either driver a bill of £500 will arrive for exceeding the policy conditions. Or worse.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• bouncydog1
    bouncydog1 Posts: 2,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    stewb wrote: »
    As Mikey above points out it is a money maker for the insurance companies. Personally I have never protected my NCB, as I don't believe in it, and it boosts the premium. If I have an accident I will lose SOME of my NCB, which is how it should be.

And that's entirely your right to choose - personally I'd rather pay a little extra and have the protection just in case.
  • annie12
    Options
    I cant find anything on the website to say young driver only allowed to do 2000 miles but older drivers are allowed to use the car and do more. Too easy to abuse that system.

I have a feeling as soon as they get past 2000 miles with either driver a bill of £500 will arrive for exceeding the policy conditions. Or worse.

It is specific to us, you input the details & they give you a quote.
    You have a box fitted & your driving is monitored. I'm going to keep a list of each journey mileage for both of us & times.
  • annie12
    Options
    And not very far!! 2000 miles a year? That's less than 40 per week! Would love to know how he's going to make that last 11-20 hours per week!

Yes, I know, but I'd rather he had the driving experience. After the year he's have some no claims so will hopefully be cheaper.
  • mildred1978
    mildred1978 Posts: 3,367 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, I know, but I'd rather he had the driving experience. After the year he's have some no claims so will hopefully be cheaper.

2000 miles is barely any experience. 5 miles per day!
    Science adjusts its views based on what's observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation, so that belief can be preserved.
    :A Tim Minchin :A
  • Alison_B
    Alison_B Posts: 2,124 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    It is specific to us, you input the details & they give you a quote.
    You have a box fitted & your driving is monitored. I'm going to keep a list of each journey mileage for both of us & times.

Do you have access to your control panel. My son is with i-kube and you can select which driver is using the car.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure