Warn..PC World returns policy

On friday 13th March (last night) I attempted to return a lexmark printer bought from one of their stores on February 7th 2009. This was because since I took it out fo the box on 16th Feb it has become apparent it is suffering a number of physical (rather than software) faults.

It bangs on powering up and although it prints, it does not scan or photocopy - well it does and just prints out a sheet with a few noise dots on it!

They insisted as it was beyond 28days I had to contact lexmark myself so they could run a diagnostics over the phone. They gave me a phone number - no good to me as you had to ring between 9-5 the only time I would not be a home with a printer. I rejected this and insisted that they were the ones to take action as they had sold me a faulty product.

They repeatedly insisted I had to deal with Lexmark direct, when pressured with sales of goods act, they said they could deal with lexmark but it would take at least 3 weeks maybe 4 and I would have to do without the printer in the meantime.

I've heard that contacting the manufacturer yourself rather then the retailer in fact dimishes your consumer rights - is this true?

As an aside they tried to flog me their insurance for £19.99 saying if I bought it I could have an instant replacement! I only paid £54 for the printer cheeky swines!

I wish to email their customer service because they insisted I had to contact lexmark directly repeatedly. What shall I say?
:kisses2: Got married September 2011:smileyhea

Comments

• derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    On friday 13th March (last night) I attempted to return a lexmark printer bought from one of their stores on February 7th 2009. This was because since I took it out fo the box on 16th Feb it has become apparent it is suffering a number of physical (rather than software) faults.

It bangs on powering up and although it prints, it does not scan or photocopy - well it does and just prints out a sheet with a few noise dots on it!

They insisted as it was beyond 28days I had to contact lexmark myself so they could run a diagnostics over the phone. They gave me a phone number - no good to me as you had to ring between 9-5 the only time I would not be a home with a printer. I rejected this and insisted that they were the ones to take action as they had sold me a faulty product.

They repeatedly insisted I had to deal with Lexmark direct, when pressured with sales of goods act, they said they could deal with lexmark but it would take at least 3 weeks maybe 4 and I would have to do without the printer in the meantime.

I've heard that contacting the manufacturer yourself rather then the retailer in fact dimishes your consumer rights - is this true?

As an aside they tried to flog me their insurance for £19.99 saying if I bought it I could have an instant replacement! I only paid £54 for the printer cheeky swines!

I wish to email their customer service because they insisted I had to contact lexmark directly repeatedly. What shall I say?

Thei "28 days" are meaningless in law as that is their T&Cs and cannot not take away your statutory rights, in this case Sale of Goods Act, (SoGA).

They are, as you are aware, completely wrong to say that you have to deal with Lexmark, as your contract under SoGA is with PC World, not Lexmark, indeed Lexmark can just tell you to "go away".

From WHICH,
    • Your claim is against the retailer who sold you a faulty item, not the manufacturer.
    • If you want to reject something and get your money back, you must act quickly – normally within a few weeks."
    Also see BERR, in particular Qs 3, 4 and 6.
    See Q 11 as to inconvenience to the customer; - "remember any remedy has to be carried out "without significant inconvenience" and within a "reasonable time" for the consumer. Remember that you could also seek damages instead."

Also see Q 13 re "burden of proof", the printer is obviously "not fit for purpose" nor is it "of merchantable quality".

I would insist on a replacement or refund, informing them if they don't then you will take the matter to the small claims court.

If it gets to that situation, you will need to send the details, by recorded delivery, to their head office giving them 7 days to respond or you will issue the SCC proceedings,highlight the "6 month rule" from the Which link above; -

"Six months...and counting

If your claim is about a problem that arises within six months of buying the product, it's up to the retailer to prove that the goods were fit for purpose – or 'as described' – when it sold them. It is also responsible for proving that the problem was caused by you (for example, because you had an accident with the item that damaged it). Beyond six months, it's up to you to prove that the problem was the retailer's."
    Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If you have a look on bitterwallet.com they have an internal memo meant for PC Worlds staff which was sent around this week basically advising them to do whatever they can not to give refunds and / or returns.

We went in this week and they palmed us off to their customer services who we rang from PC worlds instore phone and they said go into the store.

PC World are renowned for their lack of customer service
  • They have accepted the printer and are sending it off to lexmark to confirm it is faulty (The fault can be clearly demonstrated without the use of a PC. Photocopying is a standalone function, and the banging occurs when the printer is powered up.) and arrange repair- they say take it will take a period of 3-4 weeks maybe longer, "it would be quicker to contact lexmark yourself"... so still tried to have me contact lexmark myself!

I feel sorry for those losing their jobs but with policies like this I can see why!

Some of their prices aren't competitive or are just misleading (I'm sure many retailers do this!)
    I recently spotted a Dell laptop in the "clearance" it was also Ex display. It appeared initially to be a Bargain at £470ish pound, only problem was it didn't have an original price on so I asked someone who couldn't tell me either. So I used my initiative and fired up the internet on said computer and took myself to the dell website to find what the original price would have been in the process I found I could buy a brand new (not ex display), with an extra 1GB of memory Inspiron 1525 laptop in the same colour for £20 less.

Brand new, better spec, less money - no contest in this instance.
    :kisses2: Got married September 2011:smileyhea

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport