Sainsbury's Recent Price Increases

soul1
soul1 Posts: 108 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi everyone, recently noticed at Sainsbury's that most prices on most things have gone up by 10 - 15p. Have not noticed any other supermarkets doing the same tbh. Are they increasing their prices because of the financial year end and to give more money to their shareholders ?
Tbh, I now find Sainsbury's more expensive than Waitrose and am now shopping very little at Sainsbury's.

Comments

• Their 200g jars of decaff coffee went up overnight from £2 to £2.70 - that's a 35% increase :eek:

Don't know how on earth they can even start to justify that.
  • Bacman
    Bacman Posts: 537 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    A number of their items have increased, even 3 packs of crisps which were £3 are now £3.50
  • Just goto Aldi.
  • maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,068 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    bodacious wrote: »
    Their 200g jars of decaff coffee went up overnight from £2 to £2.70 - that's a 35% increase :eek:

Don't know how on earth they can even start to justify that.
    I have a few justifications:
    Increase in price of raw materials
    Less demand = smaller production runs = greater unit cost
    It was a loss leader in the first place
    It tastes like s**t and they are punishing you
  • maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,068 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    Everything does go up, but the supermarkets will tend towards the non essentials & processed as that is where they have greater margins. They would have a harder time increasing the price of potatoes and onions by 35% as they are pretty much essential. But people do not need crisps for example.
    The only thing I have noticed is milk having gone up 10p, although it's still too cheap to support our dairy industry
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Bacman wrote: »
    A number of their items have increased, even 3 packs of crisps which were £3 are now £3.50

Which crisps are thsse ?
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    soul1 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, recently noticed at Sainsbury's that most prices on most things have gone up by 10 - 15p. Have not noticed any other supermarkets doing the same tbh. Are they increasing their prices because of the financial year end and to give more money to their shareholders ?
    Tbh, I now find Sainsbury's more expensive than Waitrose and am now shopping very little at Sainsbury's.

Got any examples ?

As pointed out, cost of raw materials has gone up, they have tried to keep the increases low as possible but theres only so much they can absorb.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Got any examples ?

As pointed out, cost of raw materials has gone up, they have tried to keep the increases low as possible but theres only so much they can absorb.

How do you know they have tried to keep their increases as low as possible - that's a very contentious claim. As a former Sainsbury's customer who shops there only very occasionally now, I would agree with the OP, that they are as highly priced as Waitrose. Clearly, that that was their decision, it wasn't forced on them. Tesco (for all its many sins) didn't follow suit. All supermarkets are subject to the same raw material and ancillary price rises, how they respond is up to them.
  • They'll probably have a "price slash" event in a couple of months.
    I notice the price of own brand nappies going up and down every few months.
  • Asda tricks init
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport