PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2009 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Maisie_M
    Maisie_M Posts: 1,524
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    First shop of the month for me today and I sepnt £9.68. Took a list to Mr T's and only bought what was on the list. I had to be very restrained as the cupboards and freezer are full so I don't need anything else :rolleyes:

Have just done the inventory of the freezer and I am now blue with cold so will have a cup of tea and then start on the cupboards. Threw a few bits a pieces out that were seriously out of date but not as bad as I had expected as I do hoard and think 'oh I won't use that as I will keep it for someone coming to stay' then I make something else - need to be sticter with myself this year.
  • Good evening all. I went to Morrisons today and spent £22.19. Got soem bargains for that so was quite pleased.Have spent £43.21 in all from my £250 as I will be including eating out and school lunches within that. Hmm might be quite hard lol
    5 Year plan. April 2020 to June 2025- CC and mortgage free by time I'm 60
    Currently CC £23,674.36 /£14,895.41/£14315.42
    Mortgage £28,214.65/ £26,254.71/ £25,746.43
    By end 2020 I want CC at £ 19,000.00.
    By end 2021 I want CC at £10,000.00
  • Hi everyone hope you are all well. I've just been making some brownies and I opened a tin of condensed milk by mistake. I realised and then opened what I should've in the first place - evaporated milk.

I've now got an open tin of condensed milk any ideas what I can do with this...all replies much appreciated. x
    January GC £38.35/£150
  • Toonie
    Toonie Posts: 1,147
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    New year, new challenge, so I'd like to join in. I've no idea how much we spend, so I'm estimating £170 for the month. My month runs until 4th February, when my wages clear. This is for me and my boyfriend and includes food, cleaning things and toiletries.
    Grocery budget in 2023 £2279.18/£2700

Grocery budget in 2022 £2304.76/£2400
    Grocery budget in 2021 £2107.86/£2200
    Grocery budget in 2020 £2193.02/£2160

Saving for Christmas 2023 #15 £ 90/ £365
  • CurlyTop
    CurlyTop Posts: 379
    First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Mardatha

Have to agree with D&DD. I do a Mr T shop once every 4-6 weeks. I do an Iceland shop once every month and a Home and Bargain once per month for my toiletries and household stuff. Milk, I tend to get from Mr A as it is 98p for 2 pints and get 2 at a time because it is £1.50 for 4 pints! Go figure. I spotted my DH telling a man who was doing his shopping and about to pick up the 4pt to put it back and get 2x2pts instead ! Lol. Funny how this mse is spreading.

Meal plan, check it against what's in your cupboards and stick to your list and try not to be tempted. By doing my shops once a month, it means I have lots of days that are NSD and it saves me time from standing in queues (something I can do without as I work full-time), in my lunch half hour. Will be giving me time to surf here of a night when I get home in future. Lol.

I'm hoping to utilise the menus on here as some of them look really scrummy and will use up stuff I already have in. Good luck.
    I got there - I'm debt free and intend to stay that way. If I haven't got the cash, it doesn't get bought. It's as simple as that.
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    mardatha wrote: »
    can anybody point me to the posts on making your own yoghurt? I can't find anything in search...:mad:
    Yogurt without a yogurt-maker
    Easi-yo yogurt-maker
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    thanks..and DD&D, I did look myself but nothing came up!
  • evening all,

well so far in my challenge we have spent £ 36.74 ish but that is a lot of store cupboard stuff and we shouldn't need anything else til next fri/sat which will be milk & bread. have got a chicken stock to turn into soup tomorrow (slow cooker!) and might have to make some hobnobs!

hope you're all staying warm!

ioiwe x
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,936
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hi guys, sorry if it's been posted already, but I popped into C0-0p for some milk & carrots and picked up some of their own brand concentrated anti-bacterial washing-up liquid. According to their prices, it normally costs 87p per bottle but these are currently on offer at 98p for 2. I would have stocked up but there were only 2 left on the shelf at that price. :rolleyes:

I still miss the 14p per bottle cheapo stuff, it's such a pity I can't find any of that anywhere these days :(
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • Chell
    Chell Posts: 1,683
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Have you thought of reducing the number of places you shop? The more times you shop the more tempted you are to buy things that you don't need.
    Nevermind the dog, beware of the kids!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport