Distribution of estate

I’m the executor of my brothers estate. Final accounts have been approved by myself and solicitor has sent out letters to beneficiaries outlining their share of the estate. They have included a full set of accounts and a copy of the will which I found unusual as a few people may have their noses put out of joint but ultimately they can’t do anything about it.
The letter asks how they would like their money to be paid and to sign and return with either bank transfer or cheque.

Slightly confused as the solicitor said they will release the money only once ALL beneficiaries have replied to the letter. Seems a bit odd to say this as what happens if one of the beneficiaries don’t reply?

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I don't think it's that unusual, and allows the solicitor to correct any errors which a beneficiary may notice?

Ask your solicitor the 'what if' questions. Is it likely that someone won't respond?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • A couple of the beneficiaries live down under and are on a cruise for 4 months! Seems a bit daft to send out a letter asking for payment details and then basically having to put it on hold until they have replies from everyone. There are 10 other beneficiaries and as said above it just a matter of distributing the estate.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,336 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Slightly confused as the solicitor said they will release the money only once ALL beneficiaries have replied to the letter.

In the situation outlined where the estate has been finalised, I find this very odd.

Have you asked the solicitor why he has taken this stance?
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,011 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    “ Slightly confused as the solicitor said they will release the money only once ALL beneficiaries have replied to the letter.
    xylophone wrote: »
    In the situation outlined where the estate has been finalised, I find this very odd.

Have you asked the solicitor why he has taken this stance?

Could it be in case any of the beneficiaries want to contest the Will? You did say there was something 'unusual' about it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure