PAYG SIM only not used often

Comments

• Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,926 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I am on this tariff and was told that I had to top up (Minimum £10) every 6 months. If I don't, my sim and phone number will cease.

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/pay-as-you-go/classic-pay-as-you-go

Not true.

Check on the O2 forum.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I am on this tariff and was told that I had to top up (Minimum £10) every 6 months. If I don't, my sim and phone number will cease.

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/pay-as-you-go/classic-pay-as-you-go

I’ve got a letter from the o2 CEO’s office to confirm the webpage is wrong (but in typical o2 fashion they don’t seem able to fix the page).

A chargeable action at least every 6 months is the requirement.
    ====
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Why would you put £30 on if you never use it? As others have said ive never known the rule to be enforced.
  • Wow! Thank you Mister G, d123 and roddydogs

I have looked on the O2 forum and you are correct.
    o Just make a call/send a text every 6 months.
    o Also top-up every 999 days. Although someone said they had not topped up for 5 years.

There is a link on the forum for the Pay as you go service terms, where it says:

7. Our Rights to Bar or Disconnect Your Mobile Phone
    7.1. "If you do not carry out any chargeable activity at least once in any 6 month period your Mobile Phone will be disconnected and you will lose any remaining credits balance on your Account. If you wish to be re-connected after this time you will be given a new Mobile Phone number."

No mention of topping up.

Thanks again :money:
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    d123 wrote: »
    A chargeable action at least every 6 months is the requirement.
    I can also confirm the truth of this, having had my O2 PAYG Classic SIM for about three years and only topped it up the once

In fact, having ordered the free SIM online and not bothered put on any credit for a month or two, O2 then offered to double my top-up if I did so. So I paid £10 and they gave me £20 credit, effectively halving their 321 tariff. I'm not sure if they still do this ..
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,926 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Yep, I've had mine about the same time (since it first started) and have only put two lots of £10 on it in that time.
  • mac.d
    mac.d Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Always recommend checking out the Ken's Tech Tips website for info on PAYG mobile options.

The PAYG Inactivity page gives a good round-up of most of the inactivity/credit expiry terms of a number of networks.
  • roddydogs wrote: »
    Why would you put £30 on if you never use it? As others have said ive never known the rule to be enforced.

I may need to make a reasonably long call on the phone at some time.
    For example, if the phone was left in my car boot (with a 12v charger), as a back up / emergency phone - in case my main phone got lost / broken / stolen etc.
  • Thanks for all the replies.
    O2 seems like it's worth checking out again and Ken's Tech.
  • Nobody has mentioned 1p Mobile. Piggyback on EE.

Only disadvantage is £10 minimum top up which last for 4 months. Effectively £2.50/month. Credit does carry over.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure