Put away your purse & become debt-averse

Options

Comments

• Kantankrus_Mare
    Kantankrus_Mare Posts: 6,104 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ive often read about the benefits of comfrey. Do you grow your own and can it be used to feed all veg and fruit?

Going to the Lottie for a couple of hours now but not really feeling it as we went to Fakefest last night where too much happy juice was consumed. :eek: Cant see a nice day go to waste though. Guess the fresh air will do me good.
    Make £10 a Day Feb .....£75.... March... £65......April...£90.....May £20.....June £35.......July £60
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,112 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Hope the fresh air has blown away the cobwebs!
    Yes, I grow comfrey in the garden. It grows really quickly & the bees like it. I cut it 2 or 3 times a year (have 3 plants). I think you can use the liquid feed on pretty much everything..it needs heavily diluting.....about 1 part to 10 parts water. I found that it scorched my beetroot leaves when I watered it on in hot sunshine, so now I just water it on at the roots. Warning though.....it absolutely stinks! That's the main reason why I'm trying different methods this year. I think Monty Don uses home made comfrey feed on his tomatoes. I'd like to do a test where I feed half with a commercial tomato food & half with comfrey liquid to see which do best.
    F
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • Kantankrus_Mare
    Options
    Thanks foxgloves. Will look out for a couple of comfrey plants at the garden centre. I never feed my tomatoes with anything and they still seem to do ok lol

Cobwebs cleared as well as loads of weeds. Another punnet of strawberries picked and I have sown some flower seeds I had lurking about.
    Make £10 a Day Feb .....£75.... March... £65......April...£90.....May £20.....June £35.......July £60
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    Evening Foxgloves, please can I pick your brain about gardening?

This is a medium term plan, we have a small back yard, but big enough that I can zone it to give it multipurposeness.
    So I'm going to have a 'kitchen are' this is where the bbq is, so would like to grow some veggies, fruit and cooking herbs. In the 'dining room'area there is a recess in the wall that I'm planning on turning into an outdoor 'bar' with vertical planting of 'botanicals' for my gin cocktails growing around the recess.
    Then I'm the living room area I'd like some vertical planting of flowers and pretty things to chill out in the yard with.

Does this sound ok? Can you make some suggestions of Good 'vertical planting' flowers as that's where I'm going to start. Nothing with too much perfume.

Thank you.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • foxgloves
    Options
    Hi WTMA, What a lovely idea. It's amazing what people find they can fit into a small space. Even just a balcony will allow for growing tomatoes, herbs & salads.
    Now, I have to say that I know nothing about vertical gardening. I think it can look amazing - I've seen it on the TV Chelsea Flower Show coverage - but I think what will look good will probably depend on how you intend to 'go vertical'. i.e I'm thinking that you could maybe use different plants if you were intending to fit pots or troughs to a vertical wall than if you were going to use pallets. So, given that I know absolutely nothing about this style of gardening, I have had a think about what I would choose if I was thinking of attaching some form of planters to our courtyard wall. I think I would choose just 3 to 5 different plants, as repeating plants tend to make any planting scheme look more generous. I would probably choose a nice ivy-leaved geranium.....perhaps something like 'Tom-cat', as that's got a really nice green leaf plus dark scarlet flowers & a semi-trailing habit. Then I think I'd go for a foliage plant....maybe 'Dichondra' (I may not have spelled this correctly), the variety called something like 'Silver falls', as this cascades nicely & would set off the red 'Tom-cat' geranium. Depending on the type of planter used, I might be tempted to try some 'alchemilla mollis' because the leaf shape is attractive, especially when covered with raindrops/dew & the froth of lime-green flowers is attractive. Then I'd probably add a white flower.....perhaps a trailing lobelia. None of these are particularly perfumed. I like perfumed plants myself, as they attract bees & I like to see plenty of life in the garden. It might be worth looking up which plants are recommended for the vertical hanging pouch planters, as those should work for projects similar to what you describe.
    Overall, I think your best bet is probably to visit a good garden centre or nursery & look at some of the stuff on display, to see what you like. It's also worth thinking about whether you intend using annuals, & so planting up your wall every year, or whether you want to try & include at least some plants perennial plants, which will grow back, or some miniature spring bulbs.
    Wish I could be more helpful. Because we have quite a big garden, I haven't had to 'go vertical' & so the only climbers I have are a clematis over the archway into the veggie garden, & a hydrangea petiolaris in a big container next to a wall on the courtyard which gets virtually no sun.
    What a lovely project though. Hope you enjoy working it all out.
    F
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    Fabulous foxgloves, thank you. I shall continue to investigate.

Have a fab week.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • foxgloves
    Options
    Hi debt-busters,
    Just popping in before disappearing down to the greenhouse with a mug of coffee to tie in some veg plants & pot up some lavender babies. Hope everyone who reads my ramblings is doing ok? We're all in this money saving business together aren't we, that's for sure......& I mean that genuinely, not like when we hear it from a Tory minister with four expensive houses & a big investment portfolio!

This morning, I made a small discovery.......completely insignificant in the scheme of things, but it brought me satisfaction. You see, I bought a lipstick last year, which I liked in the shop - almost everything looks good when tested on the back of a sun-tanned hand - but when I started using it, it wasn't a good colour for me. I like a fairly strong look.....plenty of eye-liner, mascara, etc, but this lippy was just too vampy & made me look washed out, like I'd been on a bender the night before. But I couldn't bring myself to throw it away. I spent the money on it. It's already another piece of non-recyclable plastic I'd be adding to landfill, & it just seemed worse if I didn't even use the product. So this morning, I experimented with it & found that applying just a tiny bit & spreading it around looks fine. In fact, used that way, it isn't far off a colour I do like to wear, so daft as it sounds, this made me feel as though I'd had something new!
    I've always worn make-up, since I was about 12. Love it. I don't generally even peg out the laundry without my mascara on - although I guess that's habit now, more than vanity, as I'm more bothered about the condition of my skin these days (being a woman of a tricky age, lol) than what I paint it with, but unless I'm poorly, I do wear at least some make-up every day.
    Of course, back when I was spendy (you can tell where this is going, can't you?), I spent a lot of money on make-up. Not drawers full, like you occasionally see on debt programmes, but plenty of it, nevertheless. I rarely finished any product. I loved perusing & testing new products & colours and felt sure each item bought would turn out to be the best colour ever, a fab new look, etc, etc. I didn't often buy top-end brands......I did have a couple of Dior lipsticks, following a time I was given one as a gift, but even as Mrs Spendy, I thought they were too expensive to buy as a regular purchase. I used Clinique skincare for a long time, so would often buy make-up from their range, but the main spendiness was simply buying too much of everything, as even the cheaper mainstream brands add up. As with most over-buying, the result was having a lot stuff, none of which was ever quite right. And as pretty much all of it, except glass foundation bottles, is in plastic casing, it was a lot of unrecyclable cr*p going off to landfill too. I can remember that I'd come home with a new brand of mascara & I'd have to try it immediately, before finishing the old ones, so I'd end up with everything opened at once. What a waste!
    Nowadays, I use affordable high street ranges & buy much more carefully. Make-up is bought from my monthly personal spends budget, so if I blow a few quid on a lippy that turns out to look hideous when I get it home, that's a few quid I won't have to spend on something else. Surprising just how much having a budget for personal spending makes me choose so much more carefully. My make-up bag now contains 1 foundation, 1 mascara, 1 eyeliner & a couple of lippies.......one for when I want a more natural look & one for glamming up. I have 2 eye shadow colours - one neutral & one for smoky eyes if it's a leather jacket & DMs day. And at the moment, I have this lippy I hated, but have now found I can wear as a lip-stain without looking too vampyric! It's a far cry from the old days when I stood in rapture with a pile of testers buying whole colour co-ordinated looks at once, which I then rarely wore. I can't really guess at how much money I have saved on this kind of product wince the LBM, but I reckon it's a significant wodge, & a lot less clutter too.
    And I haven't cracked any mirrors yet, so must be doing something right.
    F x
  • Kantankrus_Mare
    Options
    Glad you found a way round using your new lippy instead of chucking it. :D I'm not make up mad myself and if I'm at home all day cant even be bothered to put any on.
    I think mine is partly because I dont really know how to apply to best advantage which is a bit bad at the age of 51 but the other more pressing reason is probably because I cant be ar*sed :rotfl:
    Even on a night out, I'm done in 5 mins. The main thing I couldnt do without is probably mascara. Don't like the feel of lipstick so I might start off the night with some on, Ive never been one of these to traipse off to the toilets with another female in tow to reapply.

In money making world, all my sites have come to fruition together so could be a lean rest of the month. Cashed out on shopandscan, swagbucks, gifthulk, onepulse and just waiting for last payment on Prolific to clear and can cash out £20 on there.

All my extra is going on trying to overpay the mortgage. Its got 7 years left and I want it gone in 5.

Right I'm off to water at the allotment and pick some more strawberries. Had rhubarb crumble last night and in real MSE style, made enough crumble for 2 portions for the freezer.
    Today made pizza dough for freezer, pilau rice x 5 for freezer and an almond cake to use some almonds up that have been hanging around for ages.
    Happy moneymaking all :D
  • foxgloves
    Options
    Ooooh, couldn't be without mascara, Kantankrus Mare - I reckon I'd have to have it even if I was the sole person marooned on a desert island!
    Great bit of batch cooking by the way!
    You & I are a similar 'vintage'.....I'm slightly older. I think the drive to be mortgage-free increases with age & in our case, post-LBM! I think we have around 9 years on ours, but by the end of this year, we'll be below £40k & I think we'll really see it dropping then. We need a fair bit of work doing on the house & mr f mentioned this week that one possibility would be borrowing a bit more on the mortgage. We reckon we have somewhere around £105k positive equity, but we couldn't bring ourselves to pursue it, having got the mortgage down to a level where we can actually see that it should be paid in 9 years or so. Think we will have to clear the remains of our small car loan (our only debt apart from mortgage) & save up for remedial works on house instead. At least we are not spendy any more & know we are capable of saving.
    F
  • foxgloves
    edited 15 June 2018 at 12:03PM
    Options
    I thought of something else after yesterday's post about make-up, etc.
    I do like nice skin care. That is admittedly a bit of a weakness of mine, but I get around this these days by asking for nice moisturisers for birthday or Christmas presents (I really do appreciate useful gifts) and by using vouchers or saving for specific products for a treat. This sort of purchase has to come out of my monthly Personal Spends, so whereas fairly basic deodorant, shower-gel, bath bubbles, etc, are part of our grocery budget, we have an agreement that if we want anything more lush, then we pay for it ourselves. This works well, because I don't have the guilt of trying to wangle a quite expensive pot of moisturiser out of household funds. I also alternate products sometimes. There's a moisturiser I love which costs £26. I buy it when I want to or am able to spend my money, but I will also buy a cheaper product to use to save a bit of cash.
    Anyway, this reminded me of my 30th birthday (yes, I CAN just about remember it!) I had been given some money & decided to go to a city centre big department store for a skin consultation with a well-known brand with its own counter & beauty expert. She recommended a range & I bought it all. Even though that was smack in the middle of the Spendy Decades, I knew these were expensive products, but I decided to buy them & if I noticed a difference in my skin, I would continue buying them & if I didn't, I would return to what I'd been using previously. So I bought the whole 'system' plus a couple of extras......a scrub & a mask. All the products were just lovely & my skin was glowing - with the post-LBM cynicism about all things money, I do sometimes wonder whether the expense of everything motivated me to use them really well & effectively, so it may have been that extra level of commitment also making a difference.
    Anyway.......with all these lovely pots & potions laid out on the counter, the brand's sales person said something I've never forgotten. She picked up the skin cleansing bar & said "If you want to save some money, don't buy this. You could just buy one of those clear Vitamin E bars from the B*dy Sh*p (at the time, these clear bars cost around a couple of quid) as they're good & will do the same job. Of course I did buy the whole range, but I've always remembered that, & since the LBM (when the expensive range was abandoned for a cheaper one), I've always used an oily or creamy cleanser to remove make-up, followed by a double cleanse using an inexpensive own-brand transparent bar of very gentle soap! I wonder what that woman's brand supervisor would have thought of her dispensing this advice!
    Oh well......wishing all debt-busters a pleasant & productive Friday.
    F x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback