Successful RBS Switch, now NatWest?

Applied for RBS account for £100 Switch using one of my three BoSco accounts. Successfully accepted. Can I also apply for the NatWest £100 Switch using another account?

Also possibly Barclays for double rewards I think?

Comments

• Brewer20
    Brewer20 Posts: 395
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Also here https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5850101 I asked the same question.
    I came to the conclusion I could try as it doesn't state you can't and as one poster put it, if they refuse the second payout you can only complain and wait for their reply, who knows?

Anyways I opened a NatWest account, pretty straightforward all up and running in no time, card arrived etc.
    I didn't or haven't yet tried opening an RBS one, I'm in limbo really as I don't have another account I want to ditch and switch to them, most are earning me money apart from the Nationwide one and I may just keep that for the saver @5%, always handy as and when needed.

BTW at no time did it mention during the application process (NatWest) have you recently applied for a RBS account, did it with your RBS account re NatWest?
  • maxximus75
    maxximus75 Posts: 550
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I've just competed the RBS switch which went very smoothly and everything came within just a few days after applying.....

Nowhere did I see it mention anything about the RBS group or Natwest specifically.

I am considering opening a Natwest too due to that fact.....lol
  • iAMaLONDONER
    iAMaLONDONER Posts: 1,669 Forumite
    maxximus75 wrote: »
    I've just competed the RBS switch which went very smoothly and everything came within just a few days after applying.....

Nowhere did I see it mention anything about the RBS group or Natwest specifically.

I am considering opening a Natwest too due to that fact.....lol

Did you switch after opening the account with RBS or did you do that all in one go?
  • datz
    datz Posts: 159
    Forumite
    edited 12 October 2018 at 9:04PM
    Did you switch after opening the account with RBS or did you do that all in one go?

While the offer is open to both new and existing customers, it is probably best to do it with the application itself if you are new to RBS (and is what I originally did and what RBS seem to encourage).

According to RBS: This offer is available to new and existing customers. Just use the Current Account Switch Service to close your account held elsewhere and switch to us before the 3rd of December. Offer available online and in branch.

And more explicitly:
    New customers must:
    (a) apply for a Select, Reward, Reward Silver, Reward Platinum or Reward Black account (‘eligible current account’) via rbs.co.uk, or through a branch, between 3 October 2018 and 3 December 2018. As part of that application, you must transfer a non-RBS current account to your new eligible current account (which includes closing your non-RBS current account and moving all your payment instructions to your eligible current account) using the online Current Account Switch Service; and
    (b) after your eligible current account is opened, you must also:
    (i) deposit £1,500 into your eligible current account; and
    (ii) log into our online or mobile banking service,
    before 7 January 2019.

Also somewhat relevant to the rest of this (older) thread, but it seems that this (Natwest/RBS) banking group is now trying a little harder to restrict people from simultaneously benefiting from £125 promotions on both sides.

Both RBS and Natwest state the following in their current promotion terms and conditions:
    You won’t be eligible for this offer if you’ve already taken advantage of a cash offer from RBS and/or National Westminster Bank Plc (NW) between October 2017 and October 2018 for (i) opening a new current account and switching to RBS/NW or (ii) upgrading your existing RBS/NW current account.

I do know the two promotion offers I took advantage of over the summer did not preclude you from the other at the time, and I took advantage of both the ~June(ish) £100 Natwest switching bonus and the slightly later RBS £100 switch bonus (that were being discussed earlier in this thread) and got paid by both.

The current £125 offers by both Natwest and RBS do clearly exclude you if you have taken advantage of a NW or RBS offer between October 2017 and October 2018, but as both offers seem to run until 3rd December 2018 (I think?), then I see no reason why someone couldn't wait until November and then try to take advantage of both and at the same time (obviously assuming you haven't benefited from either over the last year).
  • Brewer20
    Brewer20 Posts: 395
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I've just read the T&C's on this and my eyes lit up at the thought of maybe I could open another account to receive the £125 maybe if I apply from November. Alas I can't having already received the £100 pre Oct 2018 for switching, I also spotted this.....

"We're sorry but if you've had cashback for switching to us since October 2017 you won't get it again"
  • pinkdalek
    pinkdalek Posts: 1,355
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Can you switch a Nat West current account to RBS and get the £125?
  • datz
    datz Posts: 159
    Forumite
    pinkdalek wrote: »

The T&Cs just specify a non-RBS current account.

However, it is also easy enough to open additional disposable/sacrificial current accounts at most banks for the purposes of switching if unsure or want to keep the existing current account(s). For example, Santander's regular (non-fee) Everyday account has always opened quickly for me with the debit card showing up in 2-3 days. Added benefit here is that Natwest/RBS offers don't require the setting up of any DDs (but DDs for new accounts are still easy enough to come by if you look in the right places).
  • EarthBoy
    EarthBoy Posts: 3,031
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 14 October 2018 at 10:51PM
    pinkdalek wrote: »

I tried it the other way round, switching from RBS to NatWest, and received a letter from the Account Closure Team saying they'd decided they no longer wanted to offer me any banking services in the RBS group, either RBS or NatWest. My accounts were frozen and I couldn't switch them anywhere else. I had to visit a branch to get the money that was in the accounts. They insisted on giving me this in cash, they wouldn't do a bank transfer, or even give me a cheque.

It was the third time I'd tried to use an RBS account for switching, so maybe they'd just got wise to me.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,865
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    EarthBoy wrote: »
    I tried it the other way round, switching from RBS to NatWest, and received a letter from the Account Closure Team saying they'd decided they no longer wanted to offer me any banking services in the RBS group, either RBS or NatWest. My accounts were frozen and I couldn't switch them anywhere else. I had to visit a branch to get the money that was in the accounts. They insisted on giving me this in cash, they wouldn't do a bank transfer, or even give me a cheque.

It was the third time I'd tried to use an RBS account for switching, so maybe they'd just got wise to me.

I've switched an RBS account to NatWest without any problems. I only did it once and for genuine reasons and not seeking a bonus at the time.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure