PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Comments

• Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    How many people struggle from a lot of sleep issues? I've had them for years to be honest. Been trying all sorts of things to help, some work better than others, but not really found one that can truly guarantee a good nights kip :(
  • wort wrote: »
    I have some acres and other shrubs with beautiful autumn colour !

I was mega-impressed at your energy until I realised you meant acers!
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • Stoke, I don't normally have issues around sleep, which is why my wakefulness last night was noteworthy for me. Touch wood I normally sleep well. I do have very vivid and detailed dreams though. I always remember them in the morning!
    After falling back asleep last night, I think had a dream about attending a cousin's wedding. And for some reason, the church had to be accessed via a rope-ladder, which is rather challenging in church clothes!

Anyway, I've smashed through my to-do list this morning, and am feeling quite smug. I've also just had an exciting phonecall with a PR guy working with the people doing 'Shrouds of the Somme', having a big event at the Olympic Park for 100 years since armistice day. Culminating in little old me being invited down to the media launch as a guest of honour to do interviews with the press! All rather exciting! Rather out of my realm of experience, but should be interesting!
    Because it's fun to have money!
    £0/£70 August GC
    £68.35/£70 July GC
    January-June 2019 = £356.94/£420
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,084 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    wort wrote: »
    My garden is still very full and colourful, I have some acres and other shrubs with beautiful autumn colour, and even after the leaves fall I have a lot of evergreens, so it doesn't look bare.
    Sounds glorious:D. I do have a few evergreen bushes including a rather wild and very berry laden cotoneaster so still some colour and the winter pansies are doing well. It just looks so bare after all the summer blooms.
    Stoke wrote: »
    How many people struggle from a lot of sleep issues? I've had them for years to be honest. Been trying all sorts of things to help, some work better than others, but not really found one that can truly guarantee a good nights kip :(
    Me I'm afraid seems to go hand in hand with vestibular disease:(. I seldom sleep for more than a couple of hours at a time. I've got used to it and it no longer irritates me. At least now I'm not working so can just stay in bed longer to compensate:).

I've also just had an exciting phonecall with a PR guy working with the people doing 'Shrouds of the Somme', having a big event at the Olympic Park for 100 years since armistice day. Culminating in little old me being invited down to the media launch as a guest of honour to do interviews with the press! All rather exciting! Rather out of my realm of experience, but should be interesting!
    Oh er missus you'll need to keep us posted:D.

Sounds like an interesting combo PN - you could have discovered the latest flavour sensation;):).

Good afternoon everyone,

It was tipping it down when I got, one of those days where it so gloomy you feel as though you could touch the clouds. It dry up for a bit so I made the most of that and got a few outside bits done. It's back to gloom now and we have weather warnings for wind & rain tomorrow and Saturday so I've battened down the hatches so to speak in the garden. I then spent ages putting together a gift basket for my friend's birthday present, I was very :money:and used a lidless shoe box as the base:cool:. Wrapping isn't really my forte but I'm pleased with the end result.:)

Breakfast was toast and a couple of handfuls of cherry toms, the ones picked green a few weeks ago are ripening nicely:). Lunch was a toastie made with a lurking couple of mini wraps filled with cheese and the end of a Belgian sausage sliced thinly with pickles, salad and a cupasoup. Pork steak tonight with some yet to be decided combo of spuds and veg.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,204 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 11 October 2018 at 4:44PM
    Bit late clocking in, busy day with not a lot to show for it

Raining at last, real rain not a splash

Breakfast was normal porridge & banana combo

Then into town, SM mooching & return library books
    I now own a 650g beef joint, YS in Iceland, £3.25. Because I was out at AGM where I volunteer I've done nothing with it
    I'm thinking maybe pot roast or just bung it in slow cooker, I'm out volunteering tomorrow morning and don't want to leave an oven on while I'm not around

Lunch was ham & salady sarnie

Dinner, some breaded frozen fish fillet, and HM chips in the Actifry, I may open a tin of mushy peas that has been skulking in my pantry for yonks, depend if I CBA

Update, the fish fillet is now fish fingers, found them orphaned on closer inspection of freezer, more space made now the box has gone
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,672 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    caronc

My garden is still very full and colourful, I have some acres and other shrubs with beautiful autumn colour, and even after the leaves fall I have a lot of evergreens, so it doesn't look

Oh that should read acers not acres :rotfl: blooming predictive text!!
    Busy day at work came out to pouring "real" rain, glad I got a lift home, tea just finished cooking is Spanish chicken with patatas bravas.
    Possibly a bar of chocolate later with a brew.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • caronc

Can't freeze it again. It's already been fresh/frozen -> defrosted/cooked -> put into the fridge for 2-3 days then frozen -> defrosted in the fridge/cooked....
    Much as I hate food waste it sounds as though the bin should be the next step if you really don't fancy it again.....;)
    Farway wrote: »
    I'm thinking maybe pot roast or just bung it in slow cooker, I'm out volunteering tomorrow morning and don't want to leave an oven on while I'm not around
    Sounds ideal for a "bung it in" the slowcooker job.:)
    wort wrote: »
    caronc

Oh that should read acers not acres :rotfl: blooming predictive text!!
    :rotfl::rotfl:I've read (and done) much worse....:rotfl::rotfl:

All is calm before the storm, after lashing rain this afternoon it's now very still and before it got dark the sky had turned that weird purple colour we get before a storm. Sixty mph wind is due from the early hours so I'm hoping there's no damage outside.
    I had planned to tidy out the dry goods section of my pantry cupboard which has got very messy :o (must be gremlins since there is only me here :rotfl::rotfl:) but I got sidetracked [STRIKE]yapping on the phone [/STRIKE] maintaining social networks;) and then cba.
    I was interested to read that medicinal cannabis is to be allowed in the UK, I'll be following that with interest as it seems to be getting good press for helping take the edge off of some Meniere's symptoms in the USA.:cool:

Paprika pork steak tonight with sauteed spuds, mushrooms, peppers and onions. Might chuck some tomatoes in as well as I have quite a lot ripe. A good old one pot meal with not much prep ticks all the boxes for me tonight. I'll catch up with GBBO while I'm eating it :).
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,120 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Evening :wave:

I think I have the same gremlins Caronc after they finished in my larder cupboard they took up residence under the stairs :eek: one of my sisters is coming to stay at the end of the month so I'll have to sort or there will be comments made, and yes she would look under the stairs :cool:

Another vote for bunging the beef in the slow cooker Farway :)

Another day and another long meeting :( and six more have appeared in my calendar over the next two weeks :eek::eek: I'm going to need a bigger bottle of gin :shhh:

I shouldn't really complain that they're lunchtime meetings as one attendee is in Texas and having to get up for a 6am meeting and the others in India so it's after 6pm for them :). But it means my lunch is getting really late and it throws out my dinner time as well :cool:

I did eat my soup today so that's the last of my minestrone, I made 2 portions of chilli tonight to use up half tins of tomatoes and beans, I didn't bother with rice or jacket potato as I wasn't that hungry. I have cooked a jacket potato in my air fryer to have with the LO chilli for lunch tomorrow
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • caronc
    I'm not even thinking about the understair cupboard:eek::eek: - thankfully I know my sister's is in a worse state than mine and mine is a "boldly go where....." job:rotfl::rotfl:
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,120 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    caronc wrote: »
    I'm not even thinking about the understair cupboard:eek::eek: - thankfully I know my sister's is in a worse state than mine and mine is a "boldly go where....." job:rotfl::rotfl:

Unfortunately this sister is my most house proud one she also can't sit still for too long, it's not unusual when she's here for me to come out of the shower to find her sweeping the floors downstairs :cool: on the plus side I usually send her out into the garden for it's end of summer tidy :rotfl:
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback