It's not a lot, but it's enough

Comments

• Good morning,

It’s been a hell of a 5 days.

On Friday of last week I travelled the 3 and a half hours to Manchester for my interview which I am pleased to say they offered me the job there and then!! I asked for time over the weekend before making my decision. I also want to give my current employers the opportunity to counter the offer. So, lots to think about going into the weekend.

Saturday my cousins and I went camping in Fort William. With Ben Nevis as our background and Loch Eil as our swimming pool, we made dinner by fire followed by the mandatory toasted marshmallows. The weather wasn’t all that great but we made the most of it.

As I was traveling back home I got a text from my mum asking me to call here ASAP. My dear gran had had a heart attack in the early hours of Sunday morning and was rushed to the local hospital. I made my way as quickly as possible to A&E and I met my mum outside who, through her tears, told me that she wasn’t looking good. She’s has an infection/virus which they believe has put extra pressure on the heart and caused the heart attack and so she underwent tests to find the source. She is still in hospital just now and we’ve all been at her bedside for most of that time. One minute she’s perky and bright, the next she’s short of breath and feeling discomfort in her chest. It’s been a rollercoaster.

I’ve came back to work today but I’m not sure my head is in the game. I’ve hardly had a chance to think about Manchester what with all that’s been going on. Where would I live? What would I do with my flat that I own? What if my gran doesn’t make it, I need think about my mum! What about all my friends, will they slowly slip away? I’m mentally and physically exhausted with it all.
  • sorry to here its been an emotionally draining few days - sending lots of best wishes to your nan , its an old Cliche but she is in the right place

Congrats on the offer , it sounds like there is alot to consider and its a big move to make
    My first consideration would be do the renumerations work and can you see yourself doing the job , I'd be in to your manager explaining that you have been approached and cite most of the reasons for considering as being financial - Its devils advocate as there may not be a counter offer but if your happy with the other position then you can play that card

If you have to give an answer with all this going on then I would accept - you can always withdraw the acceptance due to a change of circumstances

• Lots of love Speky - so sorry to hear about your gran. Everything has landed on you at once.

With regards to the job offer, you need to make a list of pros and cons. You were obviously interested enough to apply for the job. It's a big and scary move, but if it's what you want to do... Good advice from efes.

Hope everything works out for you. Thinking of you...
  • Good morning everyone,

Thank you for your kind messages. With my (almost) daily ramblings on here, you know how close I am to my gran and it's difficult to see her unwell. Thankfully she had improved last night when I visited. Sitting in her chair and looking much more fresh. She had eaten half a sandwich which is a new record since Saturday, so I hope this trend continues.

Regarding the move to Manchester - I spoke with my current boss and told him that they've made an offer. He asked me what they were offering and once I told him, he said that they'd get nowhere near that salary but he would ask his boss nonetheless. This is exactly what I expected them to say. I've told a few close colleagues about the situation and they all encourage me to go.

I'm back in work today still trying to catch up on things. I'm meant to be working till late tonight but I might be allowed to leave earlier to visit my gran.

Right I'm chasing my tail a bit. Need to go.
  • Glad to see Gran is on the right road - must be such a relief

See where your boss can get too as it may be that an improvement will be enough to keep you where you are without the hassle

However you are a young man with a desire to climb the ladder and believe me once you get to a certain age , these oppurtunities don't come by so often

Don't be scared of it - Where there is a will there is a way
  • Speky - I'm so relieved that your gran is on the up. I hope it continues.
    Lots of love :kiss:
  • louby40
    louby40 Posts: 1,505
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    So sorry to hear that your Nan has not been well - wishes for a speedy recovery.

Lots to think about regarding your career. When do you have to finally decide?
  • CCL - Thank you :)
    Louby - Great to 'see' you again. I've no firm deadline but they're sending me a draft contract over the weekend that I've to look over. I then have 4 weeks notice to work, so I won't be gone for a while.

Good morning all,

I went to work yesterday and I was updated throughout the day from my family on how my gran was getting on and she unfortunately had a bad day. A poor nights sleep probably started the dominoes. The cardiologist visited and said that she needs 2 x stents fitted but they can only do the surgery once all other infections and bugs have cleared.

I visited her around 7pm last night and by that point it was just her and I and we were able to chat for a bit. During which she told me that she was 'ready to go' as she believes she'll be going to heaven to be reunited with family and friends. I held back the tears until I left the room. She'd had a big day and a lot to take in so i wanted her well rested. While there's hope and the potential that everything goes well, it's a heartbreaking situation.

Tonight I'll be working late for a bit and then seeing TGFW for the first time in ages. I feel bad that I've not seen her in a while plus, with me potentially leaving to Manchester, I would like to see her and make the most of the time we have left - that's assuming I'm set on leaving which is a whole other issue.

I started looking at flats to rent around the £500p/m mark. For that sort of money I'm getting something very small, 1 bed or studio. I've no idea about the area and where is nice, or more importantly where to stay clear of, so I'll need to rely on the advice of my potential future employers.

So a busy weekend ahead and I'm not sure how it will all pan out. Fingers crossed.
  • Hi Speky

Lots of well wishes to Gran , Feeling very poorly will I imangine make us speak as she has so hopefully potions and rest will do trick the bugs will shift soon

I'd be inclined to rent a room short term and then take your time getting to know the area and where you would like to stay once you are there - should you decide to accept the position
  • Speky, long time since I've posted on here.

I'm sorry to hear about your Gran, it must be really stressful. Fingers crossed she starts to improve soon.

Also congratulations on the job front! Have you thought about living a bit further out and commuting? You may get a bit more for your money.

All the best.
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    £104/£619.

Check out my Diary
    :D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts