Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Doggy tea & play party

Options
wilykit
wilykit Posts: 1,188 Forumite
Hey everyone,

I am hosting my 2nd Doggy Tea & Play Party and I am looking for help and inspiration!

I have written to several business to politely request any raffle prizes etc but I am wondering what worked for you when hosting a charity event?

I will also link the event - I hope anyone local can come!

https://www.facebook.com/events/611185285896249/

:D
The more one gets to know of men, the more one values dogs.

Comments

• shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Options
    I misread this as 'dodgy tea and play party'.:)
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A good cause - I thought this was some private shindig and assumed you where hoping businesses would give you stuff to raffle and you keep the money. Having a good cause like the 'ull animal welfare trust will encourage people to donate. Mention it!

Older people - Tend to collect a lot of ..... stuff. Things like candle burners, smellies, cosmetics etc. When we have a raffle the majority of the stuff is from older people with the 'main prizes' being from businesses. They also tend to have alcohol that youve never heard of too.

Dont be afraid to spend some money - B&M and £ shops are good for filling a stall and going for a prize every time option. Could be a good option for childrens prizes (bubbles, crayons etc). But obviously be budget aware.

Think outside the box - Last raffle we had someone we knew who owned a static kindly offered a weekend stay in it. A few nail treatments. A sweet hamper (even DIY). Puppy/doggy hamper.

Approach clubs/societies. Dog walkers, kennels, pet shops will have your target clientelle. Theyll be more inclined to donate and more inclined to buy
  • wilykit
    wilykit Posts: 1,188 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you!

I craft as a hobby and make lots of things so will donate my own things. I have also started to purchase items to put together a Dog Hamper too :)

The dog trainer I use has offered to donate some 1-1 training sessions too which is good!

:)
    The more one gets to know of men, the more one values dogs.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,556 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Always say how you are going to publicly thank businesses that support you- a bit of advertising never goes amiss.

Try to get something such as an article in the local paper

Ask local pet shops & dog groomers not only for donations (maybe a free or cut price groom?) but to advertise.
    Contact all the training clubs in the area.

I made a load of treat bags for the last 2 Christmases and 2 businesses donated sample bags of dog food. (One sold Arden Grange & Burns)
    Local CSJ supplier was very generous- it's not sold through shops so look at their website.- big sample bags.
    Or ask for a sack of dog food and bag it up in 1kg bags
    Dog groomers donated 10kg box dog biscuits and bagged into 500g bags

I make very basic crunchy biscuits for my dogs. They would probably sell well. Oats, flour, tinned sardines, garlic, oil egg.
    or liver cake
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure