Private school extras fee dilemma

Options

Comments

• maman
    maman Posts: 28,589 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It seems that you've accepted the generous offer from the benefactor to pay the fees but hadn't really anticipated that private schools have extra costs. Even if you and your ex were still together you'd struggle to pay these fees. Private schools aren't intended for people on average and below average wages.

I'd agree with the posters that say you should pull out of the agreement with the school. Tell your ex what you're planning to do so she (or more importantly your daughter) don't get a nasty surprise. Find out the Ts&Cs from the school. A term's notice is usual for fees but these clubs may be different.

Then pay maintenance to your ex (you haven't said whether you currently do or not) and let her get on with it. It's possible that the benefactor will pick up the tab but I think you and your ex have to face the reality that you can't afford private schooling.
  • ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Options
    maman wrote: »
    Private schools aren't intended for people on average and below average wages.

Not entirely true, there are usually lots of bursaries for various things including low income.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,589 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ViolaLass wrote: »
    Not entirely true, there are usually lots of bursaries for various things including low income.

I accept that but they're definitely the exception and it sounds as if OP's child isn't one of them. She's paid for by a benefactor that sounds like grandmother's partner.

I'd say that even those on an average income that scrimped to afford the fees could easily be scuppered by extras, uniform and generally making sure their child didnt feel like the poor relation.
  • ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Options
    maman wrote: »
    I accept that but they're definitely the exception and it sounds as if OP's child isn't one of them. She's paid for by a benefactor that sounds like grandmother's partner.

I'd say that even those on an average income that scrimped to afford the fees could easily be scuppered by extras, uniform and generally making sure their child didnt feel like the poor relation.

Which is why they should enquire about bursaries.

Plenty of people at private schools aren't well off and can't go on every trip and join every expensive activity.
  • pearl123
    pearl123 Posts: 2,056 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Some schools do award scholarships which is why I suggest talking to the headmaster/mistress.
  • nomorekids
    Options
    pearl123 wrote: »
    Perhaps, the child attending this private school needs to understand that she can’t enrol in everything, due to her parents only having a modest income. I went to a private school and it was very clear that some parents were more wealthy than others. I knew my parents were only just affording the school fees so when it came to things like school ski holidays I opted out.

Hear hear Pearl and my daughter is the same as Pearl, considers herself very lucky to be attending private school thanks to a generous bursary but well aware our budget is limited beyond our portion of the fees, school lunches and each and every activity and school trip I consider necessary for educational purposes, yes she gets music lessons on top because I want her to learn an instrument and that's conditional on her practicing her pieces between lessons. There is no way she would even ask me for expensive activities such as sailing, horseriding and golf despite her pals enjoying these activities, instead she enjoys choir, team sports and dance and considers herself fortunate to do so.

I would write to the school giving whatever notice you need to to stop this madness, you simply have to be in control and not be treated as a bottomless wallet especially as you clearly are not at all wealthy. My child was the "one" not allowed to go on a school trip in her first year because I simply didn't have the budget to pay for Disneyland Paris and couldn't justify it educationally either and guess what? she survived.
    If you want to be rich, never, ever have kids ;)
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    When I were a lad my parents never had any money. I got sent to the state university which was free. I worked hard and got a well paid job. Now I have managed to send my children to private universities. The fees are expensive at £9250 a year but I am so happy that I have the money to send them for private education. Actually it's a loan and it's the same university but it must be better now they charge for it.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    fred246 wrote: »
    When I were a lad my parents never had any money. I got sent to the state university which was free. I worked hard and got a well paid job. Now I have managed to send my children to private universities. The fees are expensive at £9250 a year but I am so happy that I have the money to send them for private education. Actually it's a loan and it's the same university but it must be better now they charge for it.

They always charged. The only difference now is who pays for it.
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    They always charged. The only difference now is who pays for it.

So I went to a private university without realising it? My parents would have loved to have known that they had gone private. So I did get the benefits of private education whatever that means.
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    fred246 wrote: »

There are five private universities in the UK, none charge fees as low as £9250 a year, I believe Buckinghams medicine course is around £35kpa. None of which were ever state funded universities.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure