OneTwoTrade

Comments

• jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forget this place until you've investigated the option trading features at a well established and UK regulated business like ig index.
  • pjbltd wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Has anyone had any experience with OneTwoTrade?

Many thanks,

pjbltd
    Yes I have. Registered with them in the afternoon and by four o'clock I had an email informing me that I had not traded this month and I would be charged. This put me off and I cancelled my account straight away. As far as I can tell this site is just a game with no logic or skill required. I would stay away unless you have spare cash to risk.
  • It is a binary options trading platform in which people place 'trades' (basically bets) on whether the price of an asset, commodity, currency or indices will go up or down. The minimum trade is £1 and by choosing 'up' or 'down' and an expiry time (half hour intervals), a user can gain an 80% return (return is stated at that time of placing). Although, if you are not correct you lose 95%.

The first problem is that they use very agressive cold calling techniques, promising life changing returns with the help of your own personal account manager (they tell you to set a goal, say a car, a house, a holiday etc). The fact is that people always lose more than they win and OneTwoTrade earn their money from repeat deposits and per trade placed. It is therefore the employee's job to keep the client trading and depositing more money by any means possible (even seminars to 'improve strategies'). Also the employee earns £50 per person, 10% of each deposit and 1% of each trade the person they 'introduced' makes.

The next problem is that people who have signed up to date have done so on the basis of a £100 minimum deposit and a £1 minimum trade. The terms are that you are locked into a 1 year contract with a £50 cancellation fee and a £39 fee for transferring your money back to you (on amounts under £200). They have now upped the minimum bet to £10 with no consultation to users and no option to cancel your contract if you don't agree.

So if someone deposited £100 and now doesn't want to place a £10 trade each time, with a minimum 1 trade per month, they are stuck in a contract with the inevitability that they will end up depositing more money (very sneaky).

There is nothing in their terms and conditions about setting the minimum trade to what they like so they could technically lock people in to 1-year contracts and then impose a £100 or £1000 minimum (at 1 per month or get fined).

If a user doesn't place 1 trade within a month they are charged £4 and if there is no funds in their account it is taken directly from the credit/debit card used to make the initial deposit.

The platfrom is also faulty, in that it is very slow (handy when you have 3 seconds to confirm a trade) and if it glitches when you place one trade, it places two or three (now at £10 each!).

From registering for a free account at OneTwoTrade you can see for yourselves the amount and type of sales calls you get (do so if you dare!).

A lot of information is witheld during these sales calls and as you can imagine, they will say anything to get you joined up and locked in.

Oh and just to top it off, they are registered and regulated by the Lotteries and Gaming Association Malta.

STAY WELL AWAY
    Stick with a reputable name if you wish to trade binary options.
  • Pawzer wrote: »
    Oh and just to top it off, they are registered and regulated by the Lotteries and Gaming Association Malta.

Are you saying this is a bad thing? At least they are regulated which is more than I can say for other platforms who claim to be regulated by the "EU". And there are all those land, carbon brokers etc who aren't regulated by anyone even if they are based in the UK.

I got an email and a call from my manager saying they were increasing it to £10, so maybe you missed yours. If anything its making me bigger profits. Profits of 70p isn't going to get me anywhere and is quite frankly boring.

I love how their tiny fees makes you think they are a scam, you should meet my bank!
  • why is it that the only people saying this is good are their people who has never posted on here before. MMMhhhhhhh.
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    jamesd wrote: »
    Forget this place until you've investigated the option trading features at a well established and UK regulated business like ig index.

And then probably forget IG Index too unless you have *very* deep pockets.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/schumpeter/2012/09/ubs%E2%80%99s-rogue-trader
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • Everything they say is true, about how you can make between 65-80% on individual bets, however what they don't tell you is that they can increase the minimum bet whenever they want.

When I signed up the minimum bet was 1 pound, which I was OK with, but 2 weeks later it increased to 10 pounds. There's nothing in the terms and conditions stopping them from increasing it to 100 or even 1000 in the near future, and if I don't trade at least once per month for the next year i get charged 4 pounds just for having an account.

If you want to get scammed, sign up to onetwotrade
  • innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Ark_Welder wrote: »
    If I was interested in what the protective regulations were then I might look further into the following beforehand: http://www.lga.org.mt/lga/home.aspx

I might even wonder why the business wasn't regulated by the Malta Financial Services Authority

The LGA has been set up by the maltese finance ministry. Both are, however, as useful as a chocolate teapot if you have a dispute.

The LGA is renowned for granting licences to outfits that appear to have been set up for the single purpose of vanishing with people's money. The starkest example was Betchance, which vanished with hundreds of thousands of players money.

The LGA is also renowned for doing absolutely nothing to protect players. They even permitted Betchance to operate for almost a year after it had become apparent that they were not paying out any winnings any longer.

I was a lot luckier than many others I know because I did eventually manage to get my money after complaining directly to the maltese Finance Minister about the LGA. The Finance Minister initially tried to fob me off, too. Unfortunately, this approach didn't work for any of the others who tried it after me.

My recommendation to anyone would be to just stay clear of any business that is licensed/authorised by the LGA.
  • I may be late to the post here but I thought Id add my info.

Basically once you are in you cant get out. They have incorrect email addresses up, so you cant email to close your account. I discovered this after a phone call.

I also had a member of the company plague me with calls and emails as my bank was blocking the transactions. I told them I wanted to close my account.... they didnt take any interest in this and kept me going in circles. I finally said straight I just want to close my account ok? No answer from that person ever again.

Gmail appears to have problems too, I had to change my address to hotmail for them to see it.

Stay away as people say
  • chome4
    chome4 Posts: 17 Forumite
    I've been watching/trading the currency markets since early 2005 and it's as hard as hell to make good money! I also pay attention to commodities and the equity markets.

The best part of 95 per cent of people who trade from home get wiped out, according to certain studies. It can take up to ten years to get to be 'OK', as I'm learning.

Currently on their website, one 'customer' says he's now debt-free after being with OneTwoTrade since 2012!!! Another 'customer' claims to have made ten thousand pounds in the last year. No way.

Since the start of the financial crises the markets have been behaving differently - no longer 'boring' trends to jump on. European summits every second month causing their currency to bob up-and-down like crazy. Even the big banks are experiencing less activity from trading departments, according to an article in the Financial Times.

One of the founders of OANDA, a currency trading firm, says in an interview that now is not the time for beginners to start trading. Doesn't stop them from advertising for new punters, however.

Currency trading is 'over-the-counter' and isn't regulated like, say, a stock exchange, where you have a physical exchange. There's no such entity as a currency exchange.

I predict they won't be in business this time next year.

Be afraid, be very afraid :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport