When to give three digit security details

Last night I booked cinema tickets through a local cinema box office and paid by credit card. They took all the usual details - number of card, exp date, then asked for the three digit security card. I gave it to them and now am thinking Agh... They have all my details including my address they could go on an internet shopping spree...

What's the take on this? Should they have asked and more importantly should I have given it?

I may have to ask for a new card.

Comments

• This is becoming very very common - you are right! It seems fair for big cost items - but cinema tickets? I wonder what the law says? Good point.
  • Orange did the same to my other half when he topped up my phone. I nearly had a fit when I heard him giving it out ;), but I made sure afterwards that I had as little as possible in the account.

Maybe it's becoming common practice? I've seen similar posts about the same thing and others have replied that the same info can be gleaned when you pay by cards in restaurants etc.

Other than that I can't help. Just hope it's not going to become a customary thing. :)
  • Darryl
    Darryl Posts: 218 Forumite
    I thought you only had to give your CVV number (3 digits normally, but 4 for Amex), when booking/buying stuff via the internet - not over the phone...

Agreed, we need some clarification.

Darryl.
    ... Fool's Gold ...
  • Maybe it's becoming common practice? I've seen similar posts about the same thing and others have replied that the same info can be gleaned when you pay by cards in restaurants etc.

It's not the same as paying in restaurents or even losing your card because thay had my address. Maybe Martin can throw some light on this? I feel quite worried. When you pay on the net some of your card number is encrypted so it can't be easily identified.

I think I may ring the provider (Nationwide) and see what they say.
  • smartsaver wrote:
    It's not the same as paying in restaurents or even losing your card because thay had my address. Maybe Martin can throw some light on this? I feel quite worried. When you pay on the net some of your card number is encrypted so it can't be easily identified.

I think I may ring the provider (Nationwide) and see what they say.

You're right. I didn't think of it in terms of having someone's address too.

I'll try to search and see what I did read about something similar.

Apologies for my misleading comments.
  • Have spoken to Nationwide and they advised it is the risk you take when paying with credit card on the phone. When I questioned her about possible misuse on the net she advised nearly all net shopping is delivered to the address on the card so no one would gain.

I know at least on site that will send to another address - https://www.photobox.co.uk and I bet there are lots of others.

I still don't feel very happy about this practice of giving the code over the phone. What's the point of a security code if it's not secure?
  • Galstonian
    Galstonian Posts: 1,292 Forumite
    CVV is only used for "customer not present" transactions, i.e. internet, telephone or mail order.

Whether a retailer sends items to an address other than the cardholder address is up to them. Many sites offer the ability to send gift items to other address, have a look at any website that allows you to order flowers. Some retailers have a policy of only sending to the cardholders address but because of shortcomings in their systems this is not strictly enforced. I speak from experience as someone order goods from Dell using my card. Neither the retailer or the card issuer would tell me where the goods were being sent, I can only assume they were trying to protect the identity of the fraudster!
  • Thanks Gal. Looks as though we pay our money and take our chances..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure