Honest quotes for building work

Options
I would like advise and views from members please.

We are having an extension built and the electrician and plumbers quoting for the work seem rather high, but also only provide lumpsum quotes.

Is it not fair to insist on the quotes being broken down for parts and labour? I don’t want them charging excessively for say, a new boiler when I can clearly source it cheaper myself from the internet. Are there any rules/regulations requiring quotes to be in a plain and accessible format, much like the banking material must now conform to?

And for anyone weighing in on a fair cost (or willing to compete!) would you say the following is reasonable or grossly overpriced (bear in mind the work being done to a modest, end of terraced house near Hampton Court, Surrey). I get the feeling we’re being fleeced.

Plumber: install new Worcester 30i compact Combi boiler with additional pipe work as it will be located in the new extension space, add 2radiators with new pipework to the new space, remove old boiler, hot and cold water tanks from cupboard/loft, get new system up and running. £4500.

Electrician
Add 12double sockets throughout new extension space and the newly opened up kitchen/diner.
Install new induction hob and island extractor to ceiling with spur,
Oven socket adapted/repositioned, 10 new downlighters, 1outside socket, testing and certification. £3k (it should be less than this, since I’ve omitted items we are taking out and await requote).

Many thanks.

Comments

• docmatt
    docmatt Posts: 915 Forumite
    Options
    Yes you’ll be able to source stuff yourself cheaper from the internet but that comes with a whole load of problems in the event of any warranty or guarantee claims.

Sometimes it’s better paying a bit extra and getting the job lot done by the contractor.

Asking for a breakdown in labour and materials won’t change the price. If the contractor gets wind you’re high maintenance
    your price will go up as he won’t be bothered if he doesn’t get the job.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    While traders can appear to apply a markup on materials, having to provide a warranty and having to collect the parts or wait in for delivery or have office staff who can take in deliveries all add to the cost of buying materials.

I tend to offer the traders the option of me buying the materials when they come to quote, so that their quote can be made as accurate as possible.

If you want specific materials to be used (e.g. I'm a fan of Crabtree electrical sockets and switches) then specify those. You can check the prices of materials online, and take this off the total price to get an idea of the labour charge. Bear in mind that any self-employed tradesperson has to charge at least £300/day per person for the time they spend on site, to cover all their costs. You should ask how long the work will take, to get an rough idea of how much the labour is.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • somethingcorporate
    Options
    tacpot12 wrote: »
    Bear in mind that any self-employed tradesperson has to charge at least £300/day per person for the time they spend on site, to cover all their costs. You should ask how long the work will take, to get an rough idea of how much the labour is.

:rotfl:

Nice one, generalise much?

Those that I do pay by the day (joiner, builder, bricklayer, plasterer etc) are all £160-180 per day. Doing a bit of maths I can work out that neither my sparky or plumber charge anywhere near £300 a day either.

It maybe £300 in london but not up north.
    Thinking critically since 1996....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport