Old Boys! Have you claimed your pension??

Comments

• BAZA
    BAZA Posts: 1 Newbie
    Can anyone know how to calculate how much pension i would get i need a lump sum as became disabled 25yrs ago the government does no longer pay interest on my mortgage so need £11000 to pay my mortgage off.
    is there any way i would be able to use the cash to do this instead of moving out of our home.
    i joined the RAF in 1974 and left in 1985 as a junior technician my first year was boys service so not counted.
    our house is on the market at present was wondering if its worth holding out hoping we can stay in our property as i was meant to apply at 60yrs but just been told i can apply which i have but am now 62yrs old. thanks in advance.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 20 April 2018 at 1:46PM
    If your application is back-dated to age 60 ( depends on what you put on the application form to explain why you didn't claim it on time ) then your tax free lump sum of 3 x pension plus 2 years of back-dated taxable pension should crack £11K.

What was the reason for your disablement? Was it Service related? Also, have you been unable to work in the last 25 years?

Ex Sgt Pers Admin.
  • l am trying to find out if l will get a pension from the RAF l served from FEBRUARY 1974 until MAY 1987
    my rank was SAC or senior aircraftman
    l do not know if l am on the right page to find this information out thank you in advance
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,849 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 4 August 2018 at 11:17AM
    BKLister wrote: »
    l am trying to find out if l will get a pension from the RAF l served from FEBRUARY 1974 until MAY 1987
    my rank was SAC or senior aircraftman
    l do not know if l am on the right page to find this information out thank you in advance
    These are the basic rules for eligibility.
    Prior to 6 April 1975 there was no provision for a preservation of pension benefits and service personnel who left the armed forces had to have completed 16 years from age 21 (officers) or 22 years from age 18 (other ranks). Those who left before that date without completing the above criteria, lost all pension entitlement.

The rules changed on 6 April 1975 to provide for pensions to be deferred for payment at age 60 for all those discharged over the age of 26 with a minimum of 5 years service. On 31 March 1978 the age criterion was dropped and on 6 April 1988, the qualifying period was reduced from 5 to 2 years. Deferred pensions have to be claimed at age 60
    Your service covers most of the changes, it seems you will get one - you left after 1978 so no minimum age and you had more than 5 years adult service. Give them a call and they will confirm

Veterans UK
    Pension Division
    Mail Point 480
    Kentigern House
    65 Brown Street
    Glasgow, G2 8EX
    0800 085 3600
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 4 August 2018 at 12:11PM
    Assuming you did 12 years from age 18, that makes you 61 now? Your pension was payable from age 60 (even if you were/are still working) and there is no benefit in deferring it. Ring Veterans UK on Monday to start the ball rolling.
  • nan64
    nan64 Posts: 274 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I was talking to an elderly gent today who served 10 years in the Army and was discharged in January 1976. Am I right in thinking he might be able to claim a Preserved Pension at this late stage? as I read online that they were introduced in the April 1975.

Many thanks for your help.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,849 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 18 September 2018 at 6:57PM
    nan64 wrote: »
    I was talking to an elderly gent today who served 10 years in the Army and was discharged in January 1976. Am I right in thinking he might be able to claim a Preserved Pension at this late stage? as I read online that they were introduced in the April 1975.

Many thanks for your help.

Prior to 6 April 1975 there was no provision for a preservation of pension benefits and service personnel who left the armed forces had to have completed 16 years from age 21 (officers) or 22 years from age 18 (other ranks). Those who left before that date without completing the above criteria, lost all pension entitlement.

The rules changed on 6 April 1975 to provide for pensions to be deferred for payment at age 60 for all those discharged over the age of 26 with a minimum of 5 years service. On 31 March 1978 the age criterion was dropped and on 6 April 1988, the qualifying period was reduced from 5 to 2 years. Deferred pensions have to be claimed at age 60
    I would say yes, subject to point 3.

1. Left after April 75
    2. More than 5 years service
    3. Over 26 (might be a sticking point if he joined up at 15 which I think was possible back in the 60s)

So if he covers all 3 points he needs to contact

Veterans UK
    Pension Division
    Mail Point 480
    Kentigern House
    65 Brown Street
    Glasgow, G2 8EX
    0800 085 3600
  • nan64
    nan64 Posts: 274 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks very much molerat for your good advice I have passed it on to the gentleman concerned, and he is going to ring them today.

Best wishes
    Nan
  • nan64 wrote: »
    Thanks very much molerat for your good advice I have passed it on to the gentleman concerned, and he is going to ring them today.

Best wishes
    Nan

Please let us know the outcome - we love good news on these boards !
  • My dear husband joined in 1979 and was medically discharged as a Sgt in late 2001 with injuries caused during his service. His mental health is quite poor and is confused wether he is entitled to a pension.

Upon discharge he was awarded 40% disability by the spva but is now at 80%, initially he received a small lump sum a monthly pension from the Army and a war pension.

There has been no further lump sums awarded between the 40% and 80% and is unsure if he should have received a further amount.

He is aged 59 now serving under the AFP’s 75 and is confused by the whole thing, any advice would be appreciated.
    Best Regards
    Thunderpants
    :smiley:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family