Bulb Energy Reviews: Give your feedback on the energy supplier

Options

Comments

• Sarahdol75
    Sarahdol75 Posts: 7,717 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I switched a couple of days ago to Bulb, a friend has been with them for a few months, no problems as of yet. My switch over date isnt until 16 December.
  • Fishing1948
    Options
    Promise not being rude Hengus, can you that in plain english not gobbledgook and promise am smiling, my wits are elsewhere as lost hubby recently, dont do well in equations. its just you do an evaluation and it says £304 saving so of course you pick that one, then I get your welcome pack and it only £36 saving on the whole year for gas and electric, so are MSE lying?
  • Fishing1948
    Options
    Hello Hengus, woman with a mission, thank you for my welcome, pc crashing in a bit of a dither, etc etc
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Promise not being rude Hengus, can you that in plain english not gobbledgook and promise am smiling, my wits are elsewhere as lost hubby recently, dont do well in equations. its just you do an evaluation and it says £304 saving so of course you pick that one, then I get your welcome pack and it only £36 saving on the whole year for gas and electric, so are MSE lying?

My sincere condolences on your recent loss.

In my post above, I was just trying to explain in a humorous way how the cost of your energy for the coming year is calculated. Let me try and explain it in another way.

I have one month left on my present tariff which costs me £60. The cost of a month on my supplier’s SVT would cost me £75 per month. The total cost of my energy if I do NOTHING is therefore £60 plus (11 x £75) or £885. But I switch to a new fixed tariff at £65 per month or £780 per year. So I end up with a saving but at a higher cost.

The other thing to check is that you are comparing like with like. Bulb uses a generic quoting system based on rooms. You have to click at the bottom of the page to get a quote based on kWhs/year. Using kWhs/year is the ONLY way to get an accurate quote. You can get this information off your latest statement.

If you need any further help, then just post your annual consumption and postcode and someone will be along to help.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,492 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Just a reminder that referral links must go in the referrals thread....

I am now with bulb in 2 properties and have had zero problems. They have been the best supplier I have had in regards to customer service (better than OVO, whose reputation is not deserved from my experience) and for me at the moment just about the cheapest.

If any of that changes I'll let you know.
  • sabsharpe
    Options
    I've been doing Martin like switching utilities and credit cards since before we all knew Martin and have to say Bulb is like a breath of fresh air.

Really simple and easy to set up. Superb, easy customer service via phone, web chat or email. Average wait time 10 seconds when I've called them.

I've managed to sign up a number of friends and colleagues too so have basically free gas and ele for about 15 months but even without that I'd still be with them.

10/10 for service
  • darren72
    darren72 Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm due to be swapped over on 9th December and have been asked for an initial reading by my new supplier.

If I enter it today (4th December), will they then estimate my usage between today and the start date 9th December? - Or will they just use today's reading as though it was read on 9th December ?

Thanks in advance
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    darren72 wrote: »
    I'm due to be swapped over on 9th December and have been asked for an initial reading by my new supplier.

If I enter it today (4th December), will they then estimate my usage between today and the start date 9th December? - Or will they just use today's reading as though it was read on 9th December ?

Thanks in advance

All suppliers ask for a meter reading 5 days in advance of supply. It is up to you when you actually provide it. Do it today and the industry verifiers will adjust it. Any error will be in pence (ie, the difference in cost of a few units between suppliers).
  • Micdawgs
    Options
    So my current tariff is about to end and I’ve checked here to switch, I’ve got a smart meter with my current supplier, what happens if I decide to switch? Does it stop working? Will I pay to get another installed and will I be charged for the services rendered if this is the case
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Micdawgs wrote: »
    So my current tariff is about to end and I’ve checked here to switch, I’ve got a smart meter with my current supplier, what happens if I decide to switch? Does it stop working? Will I pay to get another installed and will I be charged for the services rendered if this is the case

If you switch supplier, the chances are your smart meter will stop wotkinmg in smart mode ... but will still work as a dumb meter (what MSE Martin seems to refer to as a thick meter)

That means your IHD may no longer work (or if it does, will not be updated to reflect your new tariff), and that you will have to have the meter read manually. You will have to read it yourself to give the new supplier your start reading (and indeed whenever you want your new supplier to have an up-to-date meter reading )

You will not charged for a new meter (nor the installation of the original smart one), but you probably won't get a new one either. You have a meter; it'll continue to work just not as a smart one, so you'll just have to read it manually.

Good luck!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure