A Thai Roadtrip-ish holiday......

2»

Comments

• PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Cubegame.....as well as looking at Chiang Mai and the north, which is over touristed, have a look to west of Bangkok at Sangkhlaburi,
    3 Pagoda Pass, and the area that borders with that part of Burma.

You might find this link interesting too...

https://www.seat61.com/Bridge-on-the-River-Kwai.htm

I love Kanchanaburi, and all the WWII history in that area. It's quite touristy, mainly day trippers, but there's plenty to see and do. It's also on the way to Sangkhlaburi.

Isaan, in the north east is also worth a look. Not many tourists, but heaps of stuff to see and do, particularly if you've got a vehicle. Nong Khai on the Thai-Laos Border sits right by the Mekong River, and is a beautiful spot for a couple of days.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    PompeyPete wrote: »
    Yep, unless you've got the right gear on and plenty of water, the terrain along the track and the number of steps to climb can make the sun and heat unrelenting and unforgiving.....just like it was for all those POW in WWII.

Well, not just like it was.......
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    PompeyPete wrote: »
    Yep, unless you've got the right gear on and plenty of water, the terrain along the track and the number of steps to climb can make the sun and heat unrelenting and unforgiving.....just like it was for all those POW in WWII.

We arrived there around midday, worse time. However, I felt it was a duty to do the walk to bear witness. We weren't working there for 12 hours and we were healthy, well-fed people.

Unbelievable what those men went through.

Have you read The Narrow Road to the Deep North? It's Richard Flanagan's semi-biographical novel based on his father's experience in, and after, WW2. Made me cry.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    pollypenny wrote: »
    We arrived there around midday, worse time. However, I felt it was a duty to do the walk to bear witness. We weren't working there for 12 hours and we were healthy, well-fed people.

Have you read The Narrow Road to the Deep North? It's Richard Flanagan's semi-biographical novel based on his father's experience in, and after, WW2. Made me cry.

Though the allied troops also had it far easier than the local and neighbouring countries workers, tens of thousands of deaths rather than thousands.
  • PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    pollypenny wrote: »

No I haven't, but I've picked up a useful bunch of material during our trips to the Kanchanaburi area. The Don Rak Commonwealth War Cemetery in Kanchanaburi, and the lesser visited Chungkai Cemetery just outside of town are both very emotive places, and like you and many other I've shed a few tears while paying my respects.

Last time we visited Hellfire Pass was in early February this year, and like you were there in the unforgiving heat of the day, and spent almost 3 hours onsite. We spent 3 full days independently in the area, as I think for anyone really interested in what went on there during WWII it's a place where it's best to linger for a while in order to take in the unique atmosphere.

I think I'll start a thread about the best way [imo] to visit Kanchanaburi as a side-trip from Bangkok.:)
  • cubegame
    cubegame Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    I've made initial planning steps.

We're going to start on Chiang Mai for a few days before touring for four to five days.

Just wondered if anyone had done similar. Best options seem to be the Mae Hong Son loop or a drive to Chiang Rai...... Any comments or experiences welcome.

:-)
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,135 Forumite
    cubegame wrote: »
    I've made initial planning steps.

We're going to start on Chiang Mai for a few days before touring for four to five days.

Just wondered if anyone had done similar. Best options seem to be the Mae Hong Son loop or a drive to Chiang Rai...... Any comments or experiences welcome.

:-)

Have a look on YouTube. There are a a number of videos created by people during northern Thailand roadtrips

Here are a few to get you started

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y85lH21P62k
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmZcHF4jUI4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKZEZ8WNbrY
  • Loved Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai, and much cheaper shopping than Bangkok or Phuket
    travelover
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport