PPI Reclaiming successes and failures

Options

Comments

• louisewestlake
    Options
    I too have just had a £12000 refund from RBS. We had a MINT card, and PPI was added to it automatically. I tried to cancel the PPI several times, but it was never cancelled until RBS took it over and the PPI just disappeared. I too used resolver, i had no records, just the approx period that we had the card. We had it from 1999 to 2009. TBH, I wasn't expecting to be successful, as we'd enquired through a PPI claim company before and they couldn't find any records. But I knew we'd been miss old it, so tried again after 6 months through resolver, so no commission and success!! Took 2 months for offer and they've told us cheque should be with us within 28 dats
  • Mersey_2
    Mersey_2 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    Options
    Arfhurdaly wrote: »

Has anyone won a claim of this nature, where the bank couldnt find your details, and you had no evidence either?

Yes, in short.

NatWest refused to look at an historic loan (as they state they only retain records for 6 years). The FOS asked them to check all of their systems again (as in another matter another dept was able to check back 9 years). They did so and a refund was paid.

In short, there is no hard and fast rule and banks are inconsistent (even within the same group).
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
  • misterbarlow
    misterbarlow Posts: 466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 2 September 2017 at 12:17PM
    Options
    My wife took out three large Egg loans around 2000-2004-ish to prop up her then partners struggling business, as his own credit line was maxed.

Took the original, then year or so later took a larger one and paid off original with it, then did same a or so year later again. Think the third one was for £20k??

They ended up selling the business and the house, and she paid off the loan when they split up.

She did them all over the phone and she distinctly remembers being told each time that they would only give each one to her if she took out PPI.

We finally got around to sending off the forms a few months ago, and finally had a letter back from CSO this week, saying they are refunding her just over FIVE GRAND!!

She also took a loan with HSBC at the same time, and we still await news on that one...

But what a result already for the cost of a few stamps!!
    They did write asking to see her marriage cert, which we sent and had back, other than that it was plain sailing..!!!

UPDATE.
    RE HSBC above, we have now heard from them and have been refunded £2300 back from HSBC also!!! Woohoo!!
  • Colettep
    Options
    I had a secured loan with First plus, told I had to have PPi. I have written to them and they confirmed had PPi but that I couldn't progress claim because the provider they used for the PPi wasn't regulated? I went to the ombudsman and they confirmed correct. How was I supposed to know the provider wasn't regulated? I just thought all with first plus anyone know if there is a way around this so I can reclaim?
  • amersall
    amersall Posts: 17,005 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    What year did you take this out?.
    You may have to find out who the insurer was and go to them, this may not be easy and is not guaranteed to work, you wont know until you try.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,373 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had a secured loan with First plus, told I had to have PPi. I have written to them and they confirmed had PPi but that I couldn't progress claim because the provider they used for the PPi wasn't regulated?

Provider is irrelevant. I think you mean broker. In most cases, First Plus used brokers and brokers did not become regulated until Jan 2005.
    How was I supposed to know the provider wasn't regulated?

you weren't. Nor were brokers. Insurance did not become regulated until Jan 2005. Brokers, accountants, IFAs, FAs, estate agents, car dealers etc dont have to consider pre-regulation complaints. Banks do because they were members of an earlier body (it was this that they went to court on and lost).
    I just thought all with first plus anyone know if there is a way around this so I can reclaim?

No. if its pre-regulation then you have no-one to complain to unless the firm volunteers to accept a pre-regulation complaint (and they wont).
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • batch_2001
    Options
    Thank you so much MSE/resolver.

I used resolver back in July to claim against 2 loans from Lloyds TSB (3K in 1995, ~3.5K in 1998).

I didn't have the paperwork for the first one, but the second one I didn't realise I had PPI until I found the paperwork for it a month ago (pre-crossed "X" and added to loan amount).

I only claimed for the first loan using resolver. Lloyds themselves linked in the second loan (I'd literally found the paperwork a week before the phonecall).

Lloyds phoned me a few weeks ago to go over why I thought I was miss-sold, the first loan I though I was advised I needed to take it out, the second I've mentioned.

Anyway, got home yesterday to a letter to say the complaint had been upheld, and £3100 would be in my account within 28 days - and it already is!

I was so close to using a claims management company too, so I'm very very happy.
  • jenny_f
    jenny_f Posts: 905 Forumite
    Options
    My grandfather had PPI on a number of loans and I believe that he was mis-sold this. My grandfather has now passed away. Me and My mum have permission from my grandmother to try and reclaim this.

We wrote a letter to the bank about a year ago but haven't heard anything further. We have some of the statements with the account numbers and enclosed copies of these.

Is it worth trying the resolver tool?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,373 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    jenny_f wrote: »
    My grandfather had PPI on a number of loans and I believe that he was mis-sold this. My grandfather has now passed away. Me and My mum have permission from my grandmother to try and reclaim this.

We wrote a letter to the bank about a year ago but haven't heard anything further. We have some of the statements with the account numbers and enclosed copies of these.

Why do you think your grandfather was missold? This is important as you cannot use all the reasons that somebody alive could use. e.g. you cannot make allegations of what he said or what he thought or believed. You have to keep it factual (things like eligibility).

The executor of the estate is allowed to make a complaint. Nobody else has the legal authority to do so.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    jenny_f wrote: »
    Why do you think this "tool" would result in success?

What you need to do is find out why your original letter of complaint was not responded to..
    dunstonh wrote: »
    The executor of the estate is allowed to make a complaint. Nobody else has the legal authority to do so.
    This is key. I wonder was the original "complaint" ignored because it was not from the executor ?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback