Mrs S, family life and debt

This is my 4th diary. I'll link the others in case anyone has absolutely nothing to do and fancies a read!

Diary 1: MrsS is getting serious http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5045594

Diary 2: Debt free before 35 http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5286098

Diary 3: A pound stretching maternity
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5495440

So, who is Mrs S?

I'm in my [STRIKE]mid[/STRIKE] early 30's and a mum to 2 lovely little boys. My second maternity leave is just coming to an end (sob). I'm a teacher but looking for a career change. I mentioned this career change back in diary 1, but I'm finally doing something about it. I have 2 job interviews next week and I'm still searching and applying for others.

Debt

I guess I wouldn't be starting a new diary if I didn't have any debts. Maternity leave and retraining has meant that the debt we had beforehand has increased. Significantly. I'm gutted, but from the retraining side, I just had to do it. Today, our debts stand at:

Loan: £9,906.30
Credit Card: £6,480.60

We also have a mortgage of £92,720.52

Excluding the mortgage, our current debt figure is £16,386.90. :eek: That's massive. :o

So what are we doing about it?

Not adding to it any more, that's to start! The problem is that a lot depends on whether I find work quickly. In an ideal world I will be working by September (even if it's something unrelated to what I actually want to do, as we need a second income).

Using YNAB. I've used YNAB for a few years now, and love it. It's so clear in showing how much money we actually have, and splitting it between different pots.

Paying £266.40 towards the loan every month, and around £65-£70 towards the card. The card is a very recent balance transfer, so not 100% sure on exact figures yet, but 1% is the minimum balance. I'm not sure whether to stick with the minimum, or a set amount each month. The set amount won't be much higher than the minimum, but obviously won't decrease every month. Possibly £65 per month. That means we will be paying £331.40 towards our debt each month. At this rate it would take 50 months to clear. 4 years, 2 months.

Budgeting and treats

I allow treats. They're budgeted for. I would fall flat on my face if we weren't allowed our treats. We do have little breaks away sometimes (not abroad, we haven't been abroad since our honeymoon). We save for them, though and pay with the money we have and not add to the debt. We have the odd takeaway and meal out, we have days out. I treat the boys on their birthdays and Christmas. I have this year started paying into Park for Vouchers in time for Christmas. I've budgeted for that every month.

We put money into our car pot each month for the MOT and any extras it needs. Our car is 12 years old, and up until recently hasn't needed anything doing to it. A couple of little things are starting to need changing now so I'm hoping we'll have a few more years before the car get sorted too expensive. I do love my car! It's nothing special, not fancy and was cheap to buy with low mileage (we've had the car about 5 years).

Right, I've probably bored anyone who's reading this enough for a first 'All about me' post.
Starting a new debt free journey
Starting Debt: £5,250
Current Debt: £4,995.50
Amount Paid: £254.50 Percentage Paid: 4.84%
Emergency Fund: £350

Comments

• Happy new diary xx
  • MrsSave
    MrsSave Posts: 1,817 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    So, today.......

We've got our eldest's birthday party. I've never hosted a party like this before! There should be around 20 children there, and we've booked an entertainer. Food is all ready, party bags done, balloons blown up and one excited little boy. We'd put money aside for his birthday party and also for his actual birthday (we're going out, just the 4 of us).

I can already picture a rather large glass of wine this evening :rotfl:

I've also got to sort out some clothes returns today, the collection has already been booked for Monday.

Time for a quick look through ynab, and the bank accounts and then breakfast. Then it's party time!
  • MrsSave
    Happy new diary xx

Thank you Purplemum. I'm so sad that my maternity leave is finishing, but looking forward to getting our lives back in order!
  • debtaghh
    debtaghh Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Have subscribed. I didn't realise you had two other diaries before the maternity one so will have a read.
  • MrsSave
    debtaghh wrote: »
    Have subscribed. I didn't realise you had two other diaries before the maternity one so will have a read.

Oh yes, I've been around quite a while. Unfortunately so has the debt! It's finally going to go!
  • MrsSave
    Well I forgot to mention my emergency fund. All that money I have backing me up in case things go drastically wrong. My emergency fund currently stands at.....................wait for it.................£1.45. :rotfl: I suppose things can only get better!
  • Frugal_Saver
    Frugal_Saver Posts: 318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Hello, looking forward to following you. I've just resurrected my diary for the 4th time so I can sympathise with your situation!
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM £10,573.00
    Current debt £3,250 (29/12/20)
    Current savings £4,950 (29/12/20)
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Honeysucklelou2 Posts: 4,656 Forumite
    Enjoy the party and your day out together on the actual birthday. I am between birthdays at the moment. My DD4 and DS2 are 4 days apart, so a busy time with birthday cakes, parties and presents!

Re work, is supply teaching an option, just to give chance to earn but without the pressures of assessment and reporting etc.
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • Chandelier.
    Chandelier. Posts: 933 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Happy shiny new diary! Sounds as if you've a good plan ahead. I agree with having treats, life would be boring without them.
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    £104/£619.

Check out my Diary
    :D
  • louby40
    louby40 Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Happy new diary !!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories