Sky remotes

My Sky+HD remote is packing up. I bought a Sky+ remote (same price but slightly different layout). It does not work with my box. They are NOT compatible then ?/ I must buy another ?!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    castle96 wrote: »
    My Sky+HD remote is packing up. I bought a Sky+ remote (same price but slightly different layout). It does not work with my box. They are NOT compatible then ?/ I must buy another ?!
    The Sky+ remote control (didn't realise it was still available) is indeed not compatible with Sky+HD. No way should the controller have been the same price as a genuine Sky+HD.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    The Sky+ remote control (didn't realise it was still available) is indeed not compatible with Sky+HD. No way should the controller have been the same price as a genuine Sky+HD.

There are Sky, Sky+, Sky+ HD & Sky Q remotes. A Sky+ remote should still be able to control a Sky+ HD box.

For the OP firstly take the batteries out and hold any button for at least 20 seconds. This will reset it if needed, try it again (with batteries in obviously ;) ).

If that doesn't work then try the options in the 1st post here:-

https://www.avforums.com/threads/sky-remotes-reprogram-standard-to-operate-sky-or-hd-and-vice-versa.1312176/
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    2 replies, disasree on the answer.

It can rememeber as I was there!

Later Sky+ remotes with with Sky+HD, earlier ones don't. IIRC there was also a code (sort of like for the tv pairing) to change the mode. But I might have imagined that.

Google can help you. Find the revision in the battery compartment.
  • [Deleted User]
    Forumite
    There are Sky, Sky+, Sky+ HD & Sky Q remotes. A Sky+ remote should still be able to control a Sky+ HD box.
    I was referring to straight-out-of-the-box compatibility and the Op's contention that both versions were the same price.
    I think we can safely disregard the original Sky remote and the latest Sky Q.

If the OP has mistakenly bought a Sky+ remote, he should be able to exchange it for the correct one rather than have to "modify" it to work.

The link you provided was posted in 2010 when Sky+HD had not long launched and was in response to a lot of people still having old remotes from their earlier decoders....
  • castle96
    castle96 Posts: 2,882
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    thanks everyone. This
    "For the OP firstly take the batteries out and hold any button for at least 20 seconds. This will reset it if needed, try it again (with batteries in obviously )."
    HAS worked.
    They were both the same price £14.99, on Sky's site
  • [Deleted User]
    Forumite
    castle96 wrote: »
    They were both the same price £14.99, on Sky's site
    You should have purchased the correct version to be certain of full functionality...
  • castle96
    castle96 Posts: 2,882
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    was given it free
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    You should have purchased the correct version to be certain of full functionality...

True enough but Sky themselves still sell remotes for Sky, Sky+ & Sky+ HD boxes all at the same price, £14.99. Don't know why anyone would still be using an original Sky box mind.
  • HWW
    HWW Posts: 103 Forumite
    Often, a good internal clean up, fixes them. Some surgical alcohol, works wonders!!
  • Garyswork2
    Garyswork2 Posts: 58 Forumite
    Failing that, there are plenty of pattern remotes out there. Just pop the battery cover off to find the version number that you're looking for.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure