Three inTouch App To Be Discontinued

Comments

• We have three Three phones in our household and I need wifi calling at home and at work. Two of these are on new flagship phones (Pixel 2 XL). The shop and live chat couldn't help. I've purchased 3 SIMs from BT Mobile - these are a good deal if you use BT Broadband (check your email for offers - "Test drive exclusive SIM Only offers for 30 days"). Note if you buy more than one from BT Mobile, buy them in separate transactions so that you get a reward card each time - £180 total for me).

Don't think your parting from Three will go well though. They will make sure that you never go back. It took me 17 excrutiating minutes on the phone with someone with poor English to request a PAC code to transfer my number. He was very polite and appreciated my call and my 7 years of loyalty. Endlessly appreciative. He offered a box for home to make wifi calling work - no good because I use it in at least 2 other locations regularly. He offered an alternative phone contract for a phone that works. I think I had to refuse the offers and request a PAC code about 17 times ... slight exagerration, but not much.

The BT SIM required no update or anything - wifi calling just worked. 2 more PAC codes to request. I'll report back if I can offer tips on how to get Three off their script and accelerate this process.

I'm not a big BT fan to be honest mainly because I object to subsidising BT Sport. Minor protest there! But the offer seemed ok and there's a 30 day cool-off period.

One last annoying thing from Three - you have to pay for it for a further 30 days once you've cancelled. Why? My last contract expired in 2016 so they said. That sounds fishy to me.

Bye bye Three. No regrets.
  • mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    One last annoying thing from Three - you have to pay for it for a further 30 days once you've cancelled. Why? My last contract expired in 2016 so they said. That sounds fishy to me.

That's because you don't understand how mobile phone contracts work and haven't bothered to read the t&c before moaning.
  • That's because you don't understand how mobile phone contracts work and haven't bothered to read the t&c before moaning.

Of course. I must make sure I read all T&C before I moan when I'm being ripped off. :rotfl:
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Interestingly my other phone still has the Three inTouch App on it and it is still working for Wifi calling through the app both incoming and outgoing.

Of course presumably all that means is that if it gets deactivated for whatever reason one won't be able to get it going again. Or it could get pulled at any moment.
  • mobilejunkie
    edited 20 May 2019 at 3:39PM
    Of course. I must make sure I read all T&C before I moan when I'm being ripped off. :rotfl:

No need. You obviously prefer to rant about things you don't understand and where no wrong has been done by the other party in respect of them. Move on to another network and you can do it all again when you want to leave that one too.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post

Bye bye Three. No regrets.

You’re going to be disappointed by every mobile network in the country then, including BT Mobile, it’s an industry standard (and always has been) for notice to be required.

By the way, your last contract didn’t expire (and nor will your new BT contract), mobile contracts are essentially open ended contracts with a contractual minimum term.

Was your old Three contract the first contract you’ve actually had?
    ====
  • RobHadingham
    RobHadingham Posts: 10 Forumite
    No need. You obviously prefer to rant about things you don't understand and where no wrong has been done by the other party in respect of them. Move on to another network and you can do it all again when you want to leave that one too.

Saying something is annoying is hardly a rant.
    :T
  • RobHadingham
    RobHadingham Posts: 10 Forumite
    d123 wrote: »
    You’re going to be disappointed by every mobile network in the country then, including BT Mobile, it’s an industry standard (and always has been) for notice to be required.

By the way, your last contract didn’t expire (and nor will your new BT contract), mobile contracts are essentially open ended contracts with a contractual minimum term.

Was your old Three contract the first contract you’ve actually had?

Thanks for your response. Arguably Three taking away wifi calling is them breaking the contract - but at this point I don't really care.

I agree with your comment about expiring of contract - I used those words because that's what the Three guy said (more than once) when I asked for a PAC code. Maybe he meant 'out of contract' - if that's different. I know he meant I wasn't locked in.

I've been with Three since the days of the Skype phone - which is 2007, I think.

One last warning to anyone moving from Three (and others, no doubt), if you cancel your direct debit you'll be charged an extra £5 per month for remaining payments. No doubt that's in the T&C too. Hang on, I'll check, it's only 14 pages ...
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks for your response. Arguably Three taking away wifi calling is them breaking the contract - but at this point I don't really care.

Though to keep it accurate, Three haven’t removed Wificalling, now that proper Wificalling is more prevalent on phones they have got rid of the bodge job via an app that didn’t work properly for many and caused lots of complaints from users.

One last warning to anyone moving from Three (and others, no doubt), if you cancel your direct debit you'll be charged an extra £5 per month for remaining payments. No doubt that's in the T&C too. Hang on, I'll check, it's only 14 pages ...

Again, a pretty normal charge in the industry.

The Three contract must really have been your first ever mobile contract that you don’t realise all the various terms and charges all the networks do.
    ====
  • mobilejunkie
    Saying something is annoying is hardly a rant.

Sounds like a rant to me:-
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure