PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

July 2012 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• jumblejack wrote: »
    Suffolk lass. Some great tips/reminders in your last post. :T
    I thi k I will do large batches of crumble mixes and freeze in portions. Good reminder about freezing fruits etc then popping together for quick puds.

Does anyone know a good (cheap) supplier for swing top bottles?
    I know Ikea do a cracking one for £2.50 for 1ltr bottles but I want maybe a dozen and it is a loooooooong drive to get there and back. Will doe d a fortune in petrol costs.

I really want to get into wine making. We dont drink a lot but do entertain and I would be thrilled to offer up my own produce to my guests.

Ps, Am I alone on here re: foraging or are there any others out there who can offer their sage advice????

I'm not sure whether there is a thread primarily for the subject and worry that I may be taking over the GC thread with my ramblings :o

JJ I love reading your foraging stories and creations. If I were more mobile I would be really tempted to go and look around here. You really inspire me. If I get near the library I'll see if I can get that book to have a nosey. I love elderflower cordial, it's just so expensive in the shops! Hopefully after baby appears I'll be back to normal and train him to be a mini forager.

I'm sure wilkinsons have the bottles in their home home brewing bit. I have no idea about price, I've never really needed them to be honest. Maybe their website will give you some idea?
    :j Baby boy arrived 22nd August 2012 :j
    :jSecond menace arrived safely 13th February 2014
    :j
    Debt Free Wannabee 2015
  • meg72 wrote: »
    Need a rant please, I before I spit hard enough to
    give my dentures a flying lesson.

I have just received IMO the most appauling customer service I have ever experienced.

I did on shopping on Wednesday, couldnt do it yesterday due to Mums funeral. I bought a chicken for today, as have my DGS and its his favourite meal. Use by date 2nd July. Put the oven on and took chicken out of fridge, just cut into the packaging and the smell almost knocked me over.

As I had promised DGS his chicken I took it back to Asda. CS service agreed it was off and returned my money, no apology offerred. I asked about my busfare, it was 1.20 there and 1.20 back.

I was firstly told I hadnt made a special journey as I had come to do my shopping. I did as I had no shopping to get.

I was then asked quite rudely, dont you have a bus pass, explained I do but its out of date and i have to wait for a new one.

Very grudgingly I was given two Smiley vouchers with the comment well I will give them you but its not what they are for.

Trundled off to get another chicken and presented my Smileys at the till
    they are worth 25p each, so I am out 1.90, been humiliated for asking.

I couldnt go back to CS due to having to get back for DGS, and to be honest didnt feel in control enough to be sure I could keep my calm and dignity.
    I do know I am emotionally up in the air at the moment, but I dont think I am being unreasonable i wanting my busfare. I trust you lovely people
    to tell me if you think I am.

No Meg I think you're right to be fuming. I don't suppose you got the name of the cs person. She must have known they were 25p each, just insulting. I would write a letter/email to the store manager stating that you had to travel all the way back, that your DGS was disappointed not to have his chicken and as a loyal customer you don't expect to be treated like that or for the products to be rancid.

Big hugs, you don't don't need these cheeky money grabbing so-and-sos at a hard time like this xxxx
    :j Baby boy arrived 22nd August 2012 :j
    :jSecond menace arrived safely 13th February 2014
    :j
    Debt Free Wannabee 2015
  • NickJW
    NickJW Posts: 680 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Hi All

After coming in under budget in June, I'm going to stick to my usual £130 a month for July, since I'm comfortable with spending that amount of money, and I know I need to do a big stock up.
    Grocery Challenge Jan 24 0/300

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51
  • Kitchenbunny
    Kitchenbunny Posts: 2,085 Forumite
    Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Afternoon everyone. The end of another week already, and the month of July proper starts this weekend. Where is the year going? Anyway, another tiny spend of £1.19 to add to my total - needed chilli con carne mix after all, and got a packet of pasta in case neither of us wanted a hot hot hot meal.

Am off to update my sig now. Have a lovely evening.

K xx
    Trying for daily wins, and a little security in an insecure world.
  • katiegirl
    katiegirl Posts: 17 Forumite
    I don't think you're being unreasonable either Meg, bad customer service really annoys me!

I've had my first spend. £16.08 in Aldi, and other than some tortilla wraps (they only had the garlic ones in Aldi and Co-op have had Mission Deli ones for £1 recently so will go there) and some green veg (nothing looked very tempting) that should last us the week.

They had new potatoes (39p), strawberries (99p) and little gem lettuces (x2 39p) as part of their special offer this week, and all were on my list! I also got a couple of tins of chopped tomatoes which are 31p each, interested to see how they compare to my favourites (Asda Organic which are about 55p I think).

We made cake bites instead of cake pops (saving the lolly sticks for a special occasion) and they look yummy! Not a very money saving treat but quick and easy and good for children's parties I think.
    September Grocery Challenge [STRIKE]£160[/STRIKE] £78.62
    Getting back in control :eek:
    Debt £8,978.85
  • Meg72 - I don't think you're being unreasonable at all - I think A$da are though. It's terrible that the chicken was off to start with - it could have made you ill and then there's the fact that you didn't have it to feed your DGS. Also you had the hassle of the journey back there and the cost of this. Unbelievable then that the CS person was so rude and made you feel so bad especially when you are feeling down anyway. You definitely are right to complain - this is just terrible service and the bosses need to know that.

Spent £80/£80 for my first week of July so happy with that :).
    Pay debt in 2012 #278 £2347/£5364
    Sealed Pot 5 #1713 £78.57 //Crazy Clothes Challenge #97 £79.49/£100
    Grocery Challenge:
    Feb £359/£360 Mar £390/£450 Apr £335/£320
    May £330/£320 Jun £455/£400 Jul £321/£320
    Aug £399/£370 Sep £345/£300 Oct £421/£400 Nov £0/£320
  • meg72 wrote: »
    I do know I am emotionally up in the air at the moment, but I dont think I am being unreasonable i wanting my busfare.

Ohhhhhh Meg (((hugs))) not what you need at the moment hun xx

I must admit, I have this argument with both Mr T & Mr A on a fairly regular basis.

They are both an 18 mile round trip in the car so around £2.80 to go - I don't go every week and am frequently told to bring the stuff back & when I say that it'll be 2 weeks before I'm back, I'm told to keep the stuff until I'm next making a trip :mad: (what am I supposed to do with it? would they want rank meat in their fridge or freezer?) :mad: or bring it back now ..... but they don't refund the costs of going either.

Half the time, I end up just chucking the stuff and being out of pocket as it's not worth spending £2.80 in fuel to get say £3 back for something - but this makes me even more angry as why should I be penalised because I don't live on their doorstep.
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    edited 29 June 2012 at 7:34PM
    JJ I love reading your foraging stories and creations. If I were more mobile I would be really tempted to go and look around here. You really inspire me. If I get near the library I'll see if I can get that book to have a nosey. I love elderflower cordial, it's just so expensive in the shops! Hopefully after baby appears I'll be back to normal and train him to be a mini forager.

I'm sure wilkinsons have the bottles in their home home brewing bit. I have no idea about price, I've never really needed them to be honest. Maybe their website will give you some idea?

Cheers LMM :beer: if my ramblings get OTT, let me know ;)

I didn't think about Wilkos. I'll have to check it out. Nice one!!!

I'm sure that little baby money saver will be in good training as you take him on your little outings ;)

Meg72, that is appalling treatment. You need to contact the store manager and pen your complaint! The staff need retraining in customer service by the sound of it!
    :mad:
    Sorry that you had to go through the ordeal of the funeral yesterday. It must be so very hard to have to come to terms with such a loss :(
    I dread that day coming :(
    (hugs)
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • KatyReed+5
    KatyReed+5 Posts: 128 Forumite
    Morning all!

Just a quick question if I may? For those of you with little ones, how much do you think you spend on nappies, wipes etc a month? I've stockpiled 1096 nappies with lots of coupons, offers etc and loads of wipes. Plus every now and then buying some cotton wool or baby bath etc, but just trying to see ahead how much roughly for a future budget. I appreciate everyone uses different nappies etc, I do have reusable ones to try at some point too, but just how much do people "allow?"

I think for mine i spead maybe £25 a month on nappies, as i get 2 big 48 packs every 2 weeks from Aldi, my mum gets them think they're about £5 each loads cheaper than branded ones and never had a leak yet. This is for my 2 youngest and then £5 ish for a pack of pull ups for my 3 year old at night. Wipes i'm not sure as i bulk buy when they're on offer adn will never spend more than £1 per pack, i got loads of huggies recently in superdrug on B1G2F AMAZING offer, the offer should still beon.

Katy, X

P.S i'm off out tonight with a friend to get very drunk after my rubbish week. This of course isn't coming out of my GC money, :D
    June £0.00 GC / £200.00
    Family of 4 : 1 adult 3 kids ages 3,4 & 5.
  • nicknack
    nicknack Posts: 90 Forumite
    Hi,

Just sneaked in under budget for June at £196.84 so am very pleased with that!

Will set the same £200 target for July as I don't think I can shave too much more off that, but you never know....July is a 4 weeker for me again so we'll see.

Been to Lid!, Ald1 and MrT so far today and spent £26 odd and only need another tenner's worth to see me through the week hopefully.

Hope everyone who lives near the flooding is ok - it happened near us a few years back and was awful, so sending you all hugs.

x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport